I wonder. WTF ever happened to Gary Larson - the Far Side Thread

1,564 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by JCA1
Nasreddin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone ever wonder whatever happened to him? Is it a weekly trip to the general store in some New England backwater? ...people whispering "that's the guy that drew the fat funny kid"

Who knows. But, man that guy was a classic. Nobody wanted to see Rice at Seattle or Emmett in Arizona, but I think Larson had a few more years and retired too early.

All that said, can we post some favorite Far Sides?

I hope this post works - I suck at posting pics. It's my favorite.

Nope. Couldn't post it! It's the one with the dog in the life boat, drawing straws and the line is "fair is fair Larry.."

Al Bula
AG
Sponge
AG
Fitting for the photo fail.
Jason_Roofer
A little help for the OP.

Iowaggie
AG
I'd recommend going to thefarside.com to see his stuff including some old and new sketchbooks.

Go under "New Stuff" and he writes a little bit about his retirement, and as the title implies, there is some new stuff.

aTmLoKi
AG
Got canceled...probably.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Iowaggie said:

I'd recommend going to thefarside.com to see his stuff including some old and new sketchbooks.

Go under "New Stuff" and he writes a little bit about his retirement, and as the title implies, there is some new stuff.

There are several toons on there from last week! good find!
Life is better with a beagle
DannyDuberstein
AG
The guy has lived the dream. Drew cartoons, largely hangs it up at age 44, and is worth north of $50 million. Stayed out of the public eye and can live a non-celebrity spotlight life.
Philo B 93
DannyDuberstein said:

The guy has lived the dream. Drew cartoons, largely hangs it up at age 44, and is worth north of $50 million. Stayed out of the public eye and can live a non-celebrity spotlight life.

It looks like a great life, but try thinking of a funny original idea every day for the next week. Even if you're great, you get writers block at some point. Then I'd imagine life becomes a torturous path fraught with the debilitating fear of failure followed by darkness, depression, and anxiety. Then at 44, your passion is spent. You have another 44 years ahead of you with no purpose. Money fails to buy happiness as you spend decades looking into the abyss.

Sorry, just feeling dark today. I like the one where the geese are walking instead of flying.
Hey Nav
AG
I admire that Larson went out when he was at the top of his game

Same with Watterson. I know he is really into his life as a painter.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Hello glass half empty. I see it that he was so successful that once he was feeling that burn-out, he was free to go spend his time on other interests where $$$ didn't have to play a factor. Then if the mood hit him, maybe dabble a bit in the old work that made him popular
The Porkchop Express
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Hello glass half empty. I see it that he was so successful that once he was feeling that burn-out, he was free to go spend his time on other interests where $$$ didn't have to play a factor. Then if the mood hit him, maybe dabble a bit in the old work that made him popular
That's going to be my plan after I win the PowerBall tonight. Well, that and buying TexAgs.
Life is better with a beagle
Philo B 93
You're probably right. I've got to stop posting on Texags when I don't sleep good the night before.
torrid
AG
He recently started drawing stuff again and putting it on his website. I think not having to deal with an editor and syndicator was a big plus for him.
JCA1
AG
Philo B 93 said:

DannyDuberstein said:

It looks like a great life, but try thinking of a funny original idea every day for the next week. Even if you're great, you get writers block at some point. Then I'd imagine life becomes a torturous path fraught with the debilitating fear of failure followed by darkness, depression, and anxiety. Then at 44, your passion is spent. You have another 44 years ahead of you with no purpose. Money fails to buy happiness as you spend decades looking into the abyss.

Sorry, just feeling dark today. I like the one where the geese are walking instead of flying.
I hear this in the voice of Steven Wright.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.