*** LIGHT & MAGIC *** (Disney+ Docuseries)

4,067 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Mathguy64
jokershady
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What's amazing…..is when you consider the first 2 ILM episodes and how rough things were going with the special effects…..and at the same time consider this was also going on with the editing….

It's a gal darn miracle this movie became what it was

Makes it pretty clear that Lucas was first and foremost a great "idea man." But boy did he benefit from bringing in the right people at the right time
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Now check this out:

Ghost of Bisbee
AG
There is at least one Aggie grad working at ILM. Sounds like an awesome job
-Ben There/R.C.
jokershady
AG
bro.....2 hours? can you give me a summary?

im guessing it explains that theres quite a few inaccuracies with the video i posted above? and if so......dang....that sucks cause it was interesting as hell....

EDIT: crap.....im gonna have to watch that whole thing.....i fast forwarded to the whole "the death star was not actually about to blow up the rebel base" part and it's pretty well done explaining why that original video got it all wrong.....
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I honestly recommend it. It'll suck you in.

I believed a lot of what your video says, but a lot of it is just Hollywood legend at this point and not factual.
fig96
AG
Finished last night, so freakin' good.

The insanely rapid shift to digital was crazy, going from shows with a handful of shots to hundreds of shots in a couple years is just incredible, and seeing how that happened on Jurassic Park and how everyone reacted to it was fantastic.

I will also never be good enough for anything if Doug Chiang thought he wasn't good enough to work on Star Wars (the prequel storyboard books are really cool btw).
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
This show was fantastic. The most surprising thing about it was that my wife actually enjoyed it as well.

These were names that I was very familiar with during my younger years. I looked at these people like some look at ball players. I wanted to do what they were doing. I had a silent 8mm movie camera that I used to make short movies with, and inevitably, many of these movies featured my attempts to create visual effects such as we all saw in some very famous movies. For the budget that I had (essentially whatever $ I earned by doing various jobs for my parents, it was not a lot and most of it went to purchasing the film cartridges), I did reasonably well. Nothing like what some of the home movies they showed in this series. I still have all those movies, but have no way to play them.

While the entire show was fantastic, what really resonated with me was in the last episode, I believe, where Phil Tippett had that realization that his career as he knew it was over when he saw what the computer folks were doing with the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park. I suspect I might have had similar thoughts (despite the fact that I am a software engineer), because I would have wanted to be in the model department. Like Tippett, I would have had to ramp up in an entirely new field to continue working.
double aught
AG
Quote:

Phil Tippett had that realization that his career as he knew it was over when he saw what the computer folks were doing with the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park
Don't you mean extinct?
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
double aught said:

Quote:

Phil Tippett had that realization that his career as he knew it was over when he saw what the computer folks were doing with the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park
Don't you mean extinct?
Good one.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Just started the final episode, so good. I love how the extinct line came from Phil Tippet. Also thought it was very cool of Spielberg to basically create a job for him rather than show him the door.

Also the fact that the lawyer getting eaten is the same data as the T-1000 is fantastic.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Had to look up who Barry Jenkins is, but the fact that he was so excited seeing Yoda fight Dooku validates all my feelings.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Fantastic series.
tk for tu juan

The digital cloud tool is a lot faster than the cloud tank they used previously
TCTTS
AG
Mathguy64
AG
Just finished watching this series. I had no idea who Dennis Muren was before I watched it but he was/is the lynchpin at ILM. Where would they have been without him? There were lots of genius level people who went through those doors but he is the one who brought all the parts together.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.