*** LIGHT & MAGIC *** (Disney+ Docuseries)

4,061 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Mathguy64
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just finished the first episode and it's so damn good.

If I could choose to live anywhere at anytime doing any job, I don't know what my top choice would be, but up there somewhere on the list would be as one of the first employees at ILM in the valley in the mid '70s. This is just such fun, pioneer, rock-band-practicing-in-the-garage stuff.

Also, I figured this would be a weekly series, but when I went to watch the first episode I saw that all six dropped at once, and now I don't see how I don't binge the rest of it over the next couple of nights. For those even remotely interested in movie making, special effects, Star Wars, etc, this is an absolute must-see so far...

Light & Magic
Limited Series (6 Episodes)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt19896784/
July 27, 2022
Disney+

jokershady
AG
Thanks for the reminder!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Excited to get into this tonight.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

If I could choose to live anywhere at anytime doing any job, I don't know what my top choice would be, but up there somewhere on the list would be as one of the first employees at ILM in the valley in the mid '70s. This is just such fun, pioneer, rock-band-practicing-in-the-garage stuff.
I find something about that whole era really cool and fascinating. The whole "New Hollywood" era with this tight-knight group of young, maverick directors doing their thing and taking Hollywood by storm. (Lucas, Coppola, Spielberg, Scorsese, De Palma)

Their influence on the industry is still being felt to this day. It's so cool how they all came up at the same time together, each of them legends in their own right.
Mr. White
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

I find something about that whole era really cool and fascinating. The whole "New Hollywood" era with this tight-knight group of young, maverick directors doing their thing and taking Hollywood by storm. (Lucas, Coppola, Spielberg, Scorsese, De Palma)

Their influence on the industry is still being felt to this day. It's so cool how they all came up at the same time together, each of them legends in their own right.
PatAg
AG
Corridor Crew has a great youtube channel that is somewhat along these lines, but more from an outsider perpsective. The last couple years, they keep getting industry veterans to come in and talk about famous shots of theirs. For cgi, physical stunts, practical effects, all of it really.
Mr. White
Thanks for the heads-up, TC!
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Thanks for the reminder on this.

Back in my junior high / very early high school years, these guys were my heroes. While I played baseball growing up, I wasn't really into athletics and athlete hero-"worship", so these were the kind of people that I looked up to. I built (actually, still do) scale models. When Star Wars came out, there were a few kits released that I built many times over, mostly X-Wings. I had an idea that I wanted to go to ILM to build film models. I hung one of the X-Wings I built in a tree, and did some trick photography on that old Kodak 110 camera I had to make it appear that I had caught a shot of it flying overhead in the distance. The effect worked perfectly when I got the film developed - except that I forgot to remove the chair I had set up to get the model high enough into the tree to make it appear high enough that it was flying over the neighbor's house instead of right in front of it.

Also around that time, my mom got me a 8mm silent movie camera with a projector. I learned how to use that camera as best I could to do visual effects shots. I took all my old Star Wars figures and animated them in a trilogy of movies (no delusions of grandeur here, these movies ran all of 5 minutes per reel or something like that) about an invasion of toys. Had a model of an imperial walker that I had built not per the instructions, which would have you glue the legs in place, but instead I used some small screws and nuts to attach the legs, allowing for articulation of those legs. Of course I animated that model walking across a white sheet on some desk in my house. Probably the best shot I ever did was a replication of the opening shot of The Empire Strikes Back, where I hung a die-cast metal Star Destroyer from the garage ceiling, with a stand-alone light set up and a buddy holding a piece of black poster board that I had painted stars onto. I started the shot solely on the star field poster board, my buddy lowered it and I matched that action with my camera until I settled onto the Star Destroyer. All in a garage with maybe a $10 budget (film reels ran a few bucks in those days).

The last time I used that camera, I had just graduated from high school and had just seen Back to the Future. Toom my camera and my car to the local junior college parking lot one afternoon, set the camera up on a tripod, my buddy filmed me approaching in my car, cut off the camera while I drove off camera, then resumed the filming to make it appear as if I had hit 88mph.

edit to add - early on in high school, I wanted to go to USC's film school, but probably half way through those 4 years, I abandoned that idea in favor of something that I thought would be less dependent on being in the right place at the right time, or just being lucky, to be noticed as I think happens in Hollywood. I ended up deciding I would go to A&M, where there was (is) no film school.
The Collective
AG
Thanks for the heads up. Haven't been keeping an eye on Disney + as of late.
Mr. White
I can barely handle George Lucas having slight old-man voice.
fig96
AG
The names in the first 15 minutes of ep 1 alone...wow.

This makes me regret not going more full on into animation, though I really started a bit too late to be able to do the whole move to LA and be broke for 10 years thing. I've got friends at ILM now and the stuff they get to work on is just mindblowing.

That said, nothing compares to the early years of what these guys were doing. Imagine working on this stuff a few years out of school having no idea you were literally revolutionizing the movie making industry. Crazy.
double aught
AG
First episode was a lot of fun, very captivating.
TCTTS
AG
The second episode might be even better. Holy crap.
double aught
AG
Loved the ending of episode 1: George returns to the states to find that that the team has spent 40% of the budget and has two shots completed.
fig96
AG
Halfway through ep 2, but a few other thoughts...

- It's insane how smart these guys were. Even just looking at their student/teenage films they were doing in camera effects and optical compositing that they just figured out...no YouTube, no tutorials, just "how can I do this?" Unreal.

- All these guys are crazy multitalented, but Joe Johnston...wow. I'll do storyboards even though I don't know what those are, let's also make some models, I'm going to redesign the visual language for the Empire and the Rebels, and hmm how do I design the most iconic ship in scifi history. Later I'll win a VFX Oscar for Raiders of the Lost Ark before going on to be an award winning director.

- I bet working for John Dykstra was a blast.

- Dykstra's explanations of how they used photography and detail to convey scale was incredible. Them digging into why and how they created the motion control camera rigs was also just fascinating.
The Collective
AG
I'm on E3. This is the best thing I've watched on Disney +.
TCTTS
AG
Agreed. I'm enjoying this more than any SW/Marvel series so far.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's always fascinating seeing how the first Star Wars felt like a ragtag group of guys that just got together and made **** up as they went, like they were still kids making home movies. Little did anyone know they were creating the biggest box office success of all time and forming a legendary company that would change everything, and would even sprout subsidiaries which are legendary in their own right. (Pixar)

Loved the first episode.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Halfway through episode 2 and I am absolutely loving this. Star Wars fans, and fans of Hollywood in general, will really enjoy this.
The Porkchop Express
AG
The whole family but me stopped watching 30 minutes into the first episode. Going to have to be a late night binger.
Life is better with a beagle
Urban Ag
AG
Thanks TCCTS for posting this otherwise I would never had known it came out on D+. Got through the first three episodes on a flight today. Just captivating. Especially for me considering that although I was only three when Star Wars was released in 1977, all of these names would be the names I would hear of and seek out info and updates on at a time when getting access to info was nearly impossible. We called in "Bantha Tracks" and I had to fight my brothers for it lol.

One thing that really stuck out to me though and I say this as a lifelong fan of George Lucas. As someone who has worked at the executive level, not impressed by his reaction to leaving London, getting back to LA, and acting blindsided that only 2-3 special effect laden shots had been completed. That is terrible leadership/management. Leave Dykstra at the helm but go 6-7 months without drilling down on spend and progress? Nope. If you can get back to LA from the UK, you can surely set up a weekly conference call too.

At the same time, I loved the "seat of your pants" aspect of wild west management in the film industry at the time. Compelling. Still shocked that Fox didn't have someone babysitting ILM for all the investment they put in and Lucas out of the country.

Great stuff, fascinating!

Urban Ag
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

The whole family but me stopped watching 30 minutes into the first episode. Going to have to be a late night binger.
Would have happened at my house too my dude. That's why I downloaded last night before the flight home. Married with kids means pre planning is mucho importante'.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I think episode 3 may be my favorite so far. Didn't realize how little I knew about the transition between SW and ESB. For instance, had no idea that John Dykstra was never brought back after the first movie.

Absolutely loved seeing the origin of the AT-ATs and the inspiration behind their design. Also seeing the Hoth miniature set was amazing. It's kind of sad all this is a lost art now with the rise of CGI.

But, also didn't expect to see the origins of CGI this early, which was equally cool. Had no idea it went that far back to the 60's. And the fact that George was meeting with these guys in secret, 10+ years before they would make their first breakthrough in Hollywood, almost felt like a spy movie or something.

Not to mention the fact that Lucas was already talking about digital editing and filming digitally, even in 1979, is kind of mind-blowing. This guy was such a visionary that it's almost ridiculous. But even more impressive is that it wasn't just him predicting what the future would bring to filmmaking, but actually making those things happen himself.
TCTTS
AG
If there's one big takeaway I have from this series so far it's that no other individual has changed, or had the most impact on, the movie industry as a whole than George Lucas. Star Wars didn't just reinvent movies in terms of pop culture, it set in motion a chain reaction that would allow Lucas to ultimately forever change how movies would be made, in profound ways. It really is crazy how much is owed to his vision.
TCTTS
AG
I'm through episode five, with the finale tonight, and cant wait.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Also, that McQuarrie matte painting of Cloud City is a thing of beauty. Have to wonder how much something like that would go for at auction.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Couldn't agree more. I was thinking the same throughout this episode.

I mean who else would come close? Maybe Walt Disney?
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, probably so. Ironic that they're now one company, basically.
double aught
AG
TCTTS said:

The second episode might be even better. Holy crap.
Yeah, I think you're right. I loved the first fifteen minutes where it's basically George Lucas describing his journey from childhood to becoming interested in mythologies in college, and then movies/directing, and the idea of Star Wars forming. Really interesting stuff.

I had no idea that he nearly was killed in a car wreck as a teen. It sounded like that stopped him from pursuing a career involving autos. I paused the newspaper headline that appeared on screen: it said his seat belt broke, throwing him clear of the car, which was completely mangled. Interesting to think how movies and the world to a degree would be different had he died (or if he had never had the wreck, possibly).
TCTTS
AG
Just finished the last episode and this has to be one of the most engaging docuseries I've ever seen. I didn't want it to end, as I could have watched another six hours, easily. More than anything, I just loved being in this world, around these people. To have been a part of ILM back in the day, from the ground up, with these exact people, would have been the experience of a lifetime (or, more fittingly, as one of them said, multiple lifetimes), and this series at least gave us a taste of what that would have been like. It was also incredibly inspiring creatively, to the point where I may need to watch it annually, as a spark of sorts to recharge my creative batteries. What a incredible, out-of-no-where surprise this was.
jokershady
AG
only made it through the first episode so far and i think the most amazing thing from that (and it's a good thing) was showing all the crazy at home movies that were made from these guys when they were teenagers (or just really young adults)

seriously think about this.....there was no photoshop.....no camera phones.....no immediate feedback on what you had filmed or how it had turned out.....and they were pulling off these awesome at home movies that adults now adays would still have trouble with....

these guys were smart as hell
rynning
AG
The transition from stop motion to CGI was interesting. Either move with it or get left behind.

I've always thought the initial "heavy" CGI films, namely Jurassic Park and Star Wars I-III, were made a little too early. While great technical achievements, they never looked quite real enough to my eyes. I felt a lot of it was done just to show off what could be done, something that can still be found in recent movies sadly.
wangus12
AG
Jurassic Park still holds up with modern CGI in my book.
fig96
AG
Yeah, 100% disagree with them having been made too early.

For one you're talking about a 6+ year difference between the prequels and Jurassic Park, during which software advanced insanely quickly and CG capabilities dramatically increased. And Jurassic Park was very strategic in what it showed and it's use of different mediums to create all those effects.

You had The Lost World in between there not to mention LOTR just following which was generally more convincing than Phantom Menace and the other prequels. I do think George pushed TPM too far digital and the overall look suffered, but that's an application issue and not a specific technology issue.
elfurioso92
AG
Just finished it, what a great show.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.