Watching MCU Movies for the first time. ENDGAME!!!!!

4,238 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by imjustsayin
Cinco Ranch Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I prefer to watch Infinity War and Endgame back-to-back, since they are essentially a Part 1 and Part 2 of the same long movie.
jokershady
AG
And there's one more thing and it's probably too early to know...I mentioned near the bottom of my first post that we were thinking about seeing Thor: Love & Thunder in theatre and a few posters mentioned that nothing that's been released since Endgame has involved Thor (or the GotG I'm assuming).

However...since no one has seen Thor L&T yet I'm assuming we don't know if the Loki show plays a roll possibly in this. So we'll probably wait and see what y'all say if there's any tie in at all to the other Marvel releases since Endgame and if there's not we'll definitely be seeing that one in theaters (which will be our first Marvel movie to watch in a cinema ever...so I really hope there's no ties in we're missing or just very few that we'd only need one show to watch).
Quad Dog
AG
I consider Garfield to be the best Spider-Man, Maguire best Peter Parker, and Holland the best mix of both.
The Spider-Man sections of Garfield's movies are pretty great, everything else isn't that good
Quad Dog
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

I prefer to watch Infinity War and Endgame back-to-back, since they are essentially a Part 1 and Part 2 of the same long movie.

Ragnarok, IW, Endgame is a great trilogy. Love and Thunder might be a great 4th addition.
rhutton125
AG
If you want to be safe, I'd watch Loki and maybe Eternals before Love & Thunder just in case. I can't imagine there being any tie-ins to anything other than those 2.

You may also want to alternate shows and movies, just to break it up, but that's my personal preference.
CapCityAg89
AG
We did …

Moon Knight - real time (it's not really in world anyway yet)

Spider Man Far From Home
WandaVision
What If?
Dr. Strange Multiverse
Loki
Falcon & Winter Soldier
Ms. Marvel - watching real-time (started after Falcon & Winter Soldier)
Shang-Chi + 10 Rings
Hawkeye - in process now.
Spider Man No Way Home - next

Skipped Eternals

That's worked well.
Lathspell
AG
MW03 said:

I think you can make an argument that No Way Home is a better movie in the stand alone sense, even if it's not as good as Endgame if you account and give credit to Endgame for everything they set up along the way to get there. Not sure if that makes sense, but I cannot separate my enjoyment of Endgame from my enjoyment of the Marvel world that built to Endgame. It's all one love to me.
I would argue the only reason people put that movie so high is how it plays on the emotions of the viewer, having already seen the other Spiderman movies.
BenFiasco14
AG
OP-

You do not HAVE to wat h the Andrew Garfield movies to "get" NWH, but it would probably make it more enjoyable for everybody.

My gf hasn't seen the Garfield Spider-Man movies and still loved NWH (and Garfield's performance).
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
But that's even more so the case with Endgame.
MW03
AG
Fair point. I also happen to be a mega fan of Into the Spiderverse, which doesn't hurt either.
Claude!
Brian Earl Spilner said:

My favorite single audience moment will always be "On your left". That short moment of recognition before everyone loses their *****
I have one minor quibble with how that scene went. I wish he hadn't said "It's Sam." Just a "Cap, can you hear me? On your left." would've felt more impactful to me.
Carlo4
AG
MW03 said:

Endgame is great on it's own, but it's incredible because of 22 or whatever movies that led to it. I kind of think of them like a TV show with each movie being an episode, and Endgame being the series finale. And it absolutely stuck the landing.

I think you can make an argument that No Way Home is a better movie in the stand alone sense, even if it's not as good as Endgame if you account and give credit to Endgame for everything they set up along the way to get there. Not sure if that makes sense, but I cannot separate my enjoyment of Endgame from my enjoyment of the Marvel world that built to Endgame. It's all one love to me.
Add to it the guys making Endgame and other Marvel movies had significant roles in Arrested Development and Community, you get tons of Easter eggs throughout the series with cameos galore.
Carlo4
AG
Did the OP recognize/name off every character at the funeral? I always used that as a litmus test to how well I knew the characters.

The kid from Iron Man 3 always stumped me. Also took me a few takes to realize Bucky isn't in a suit and Sam comforts him. The whole idea that he showed up last minute/talked into going as Iron Man wouldn't want him there. Sam comforting him knowing he never got to apologize for what happened.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Claude! said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

My favorite single audience moment will always be "On your left". That short moment of recognition before everyone loses their *****
I have one minor quibble with how that scene went. I wish he hadn't said "It's Sam." Just a "Cap, can you hear me? On your left." would've felt more impactful to me.

To me it's Black Panther being the first character to walk through the portal. We just heard Sam's voice. Why is he not flying in first?
Sex Panther
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Claude! said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

To me it's Black Panther being the first character to walk through the portal. We just heard Sam's voice. Why is he not flying in first?

I think Endgame is just about perfect and that scene is so incredible all the way around... but this has grown to really, really bother me

I know they had BP come out first due to the success of the movie and all the social relevancy... but there's just no ****ing way he should've have been the first person out. He barely has any connection to Cap.

It should have been Bucky for the obvious emotional ties to Cap. Imagine if it was Bucky smiling and nodding at Steve in that instance as the first person returned from the snap. I mean you could have even had them walk out together if they just had to have T'Challa in there. By that time those two are extremely close anyway and Bucky is with him... Why do we get the guard lady and sister? Plus the sister looks ridiculous when she goes into her fight pose.

I hate to nitpick cause overall the scene is just so incredible and it still takes me back to the theater and the cheers every time I watch it... but I just can't believe they didn't go with Sam and/or Bucky as the first out. It would have made it so much better. Just a huge miss for one of the greatest scenes of all time.
jokershady
AG
Carlo4 said:

Did the OP recognize/name off every character at the funeral? I always used that as a litmus test to how well I knew the characters.

The kid from Iron Man 3 always stumped me. Also took me a few takes to realize Bucky isn't in a suit and Sam comforts him. The whole idea that he showed up last minute/talked into going as Iron Man wouldn't want him there. Sam comforting him knowing he never got to apologize for what happened.

I think I did but I'll go back and watch it later and post my honest results just cause that seems like a fun thing to try…and I did not recognize that kid from IM3 on my own I had read that last minute while typing my OP and threw that in there cause I couldn't believe it
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Exactly right.
rhutton125
AG
I actually kinda like that it's someone Steve doesn't have a huge connection with because the audience (maybe) hasn't quite connected the dots that everyone is back. So it starts with someone random, then you see Sam and all the portals and start to grasp the enormity of it, then of course see Doctor Strange, then Star-Lord, then Spider-Man, and then back to T'Challa and he's brought his whole army, etc etc etc. Just rapid fire after that, Bucky, Tony sees Pepper, etc.

I almost feel like if it started with Tony seeing Spider-Man or Cap seeing Bucky that it would change that slow "holy ****…" kind of reaction. But that's just my take.
Dr. Horrible
Leading into NWH, we did a rewatch of SM 1,2,3, ASM 1,2, and venom 1,2.
Don't regret doing that and while not all were needed it didn't hurt.
BenFiasco14
AG
OP - Morbius is essential viewing before you go one step further in the MCU.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Would you say it's Morbin time?
Aggie Joe 93
AG
My only cringe final battle moments are every time they show Mantis doing exactly nothing other than having T-Rex hands. They could have at least shown her being super acrobatic and putting bad guys to sleep left and right. Give me SOME dang reason why this helpless civilian is running around a mega super hero battlefield.
rhutton125
AG
She puts one of those giants to sleep in the background of the scene where Cap and Thor trade weapons.

But yeah also give her a gun maybe, or teach her kung fu like in the comics.
maroon barchetta
rhutton125 said:

She puts one of those giants to sleep in the background of the scene where Cap and Thor trade weapons.

But yeah also give her a gun maybe, or teach her kung fu like in the comics.

I've never noticed that but will have to look!
MASAXET
AG
Sex Panther said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Claude! said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I think Endgame is just about perfect and that scene is so incredible all the way around... but this has grown to really, really bother me

I know they had BP come out first due to the success of the movie and all the social relevancy... but there's just no ****ing way he should've have been the first person out. He barely has any connection to Cap.

It should have been Bucky for the obvious emotional ties to Cap. Imagine if it was Bucky smiling and nodding at Steve in that instance as the first person returned from the snap. I mean you could have even had them walk out together if they just had to have T'Challa in there. By that time those two are extremely close anyway and Bucky is with him... Why do we get the guard lady and sister? Plus the sister looks ridiculous when she goes into her fight pose.

I hate to nitpick cause overall the scene is just so incredible and it still takes me back to the theater and the cheers every time I watch it... but I just can't believe they didn't go with Sam and/or Bucky as the first out. It would have made it so much better. Just a huge miss for one of the greatest scenes of all time.
Although I'm with you and don't disagree with your point from an audience emotion standpoint, I can justify it in my mind from a practical "reality" standpoint: it does make some sense that the king and highest in command in the area would be the first to step through the portal. T'Challa knows Rogers went to Wakanda for help before the snap, and the opportunity has presented itself for Wakanda to now help Rogers - thinking about it that way, of course the king would want to be the first one to show up and greet Rogers.

At least that's what I've come up with and I'm sticking to it.
double aught
AG
I agree with that. They're coming straight from Wakanda. Plus Black Panther became a huge character in a short amount of time. Makes sense to give him that moment.

Finally, I wonder if the Russo brothers knew Boseman was sick at the time. Maybe that played a role. Regardless, I'm fine with it. Great moment.
rhutton125
AG
Black Widow before Hawkeye. Just remembered something there.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
My issue is they give him a big, slow dramatic entrance with a close-up, like he's the most important Avenger or someone of huge emotional importance. In reality it felt like they were just capitalizing on the fact that BP had just come out and been a huge success. It felt a little hollow and unearned to me.
imjustsayin
AG
I'm fine with either BP or Sam. I can see the directors saying it should have been Sam with the "on your left comment" but then saying, we'll falcon has to be flying in and that's not as fun and dramatic as the slow reveal of walking through. I agree with others on the BP comment of king of Wakanda coming through
As the local leader.

Either way, understand the nitpick but I can get over it pretty fast.
imjustsayin
AG
Just watched End Game again… it is SUCH a strong movie. It strikes me how EVERY. SINGLE. LINE. In the script is absolutely poetically written and perfectly delivered. It's dripping with history and context making it more valuable than a typical movie can deliver when it's not part of a broader universe.

"I went for the head"
The captain America theme music when captain marvel shows up in the beginning. Then transitioning to Captain America shaving his face.
The whole exchange when Tony sees Captain America, frail and beaten.
The look in Captain Americas eyes when he is traveling through space for the first time… imagining that he grew up in the 40's!!

On and on and on…

Just had to reiterate what a special movie this one is.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.