Is there going to be a Sicario 3?

4,035 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 25 days ago by MBAR
phatpat21
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Trying to find info online anywhere and don't see much. It's been 4 years since Sicario day of the soldado…I'm a huge fan of these movies just seeing if anyone has any info?! Thanks!
there were skittles in there!
TXAG 05
AG
Taylor Sheridan has a lot of irons in the fire right now. If there will be another one, it may be a while.
phatpat21
True, hadn't thought about that. Well the way 2 ended I'd assume there is atleast one more but I guess we'll see!
Thanks for the response!
there were skittles in there!
Sex Panther
AG
From six days ago. Hope it happens...

https://screenrant.com/sicario-3-movie-josh-brolin-production-updates/
cupcakesprinkles
AG
I hope so. One was a slow burn while two had a lot more action. Both are great and the way they left the ending at the second will make for an awesome trilogy.

The music to "The Beast" is amazing.
Matsui
AG
Hope so!
TequilaMockingbird
aaaargh!

Quote:

Josh Brolin doesn't sound optimistic about Sicario 3

https://www.joblo.com/sicario-3-josh-brolin-update/
BG Knocc Out
TequilaMockingbird said:

aaaargh!

Quote:

Josh Brolin doesn't sound optimistic about Sicario 3

https://www.joblo.com/sicario-3-josh-brolin-update/

Damn. So much potential with a 3rd (if they can get this kid to complete puberty and be a little more convincing as a banger).

People crap on the 2nd one but I love it and watch a few times a year. First one is a better film but it's not a big gap to me at all. Love em both.

beanbean
BG Knocc Out said:

People crap on the 2nd one but I love it and watch a few times a year. First one is a better film but it's not a big gap to me at all. Love em both.

I love it too. I don't know why people hate it. In fact, when someone starts a thread about "name a movie that is not well liked that you like" I always say Sicario 2.
GrayMatter
AG
beanbean said:

BG Knocc Out said:

I love it too. I don't know why people hate it. In fact, when someone starts a thread about "name a movie that is not well liked that you like" I always say Sicario 2.
I recently finally saw Sicario 2 and I thought the initial meeting with Brolin and Modine was really powerful. The idea that drugs wasn't what the cartels were targeting, but people is mind boggling. It would have been better if they had made a story based on the cartels smuggling people and left it at that.

It was too disjointed for me and the overall main storyline of Alejandro and Isabel didn't really work for me. They tried to humanize it by detailing their relationship and plan and throwing in Alejandro's past as well, but they had already talked about his past in the first movie. They spent too much time on it and I wish that Miguel and Isabel would have interacted in some way. From the beginning of the film when it started with the bombing on US soil and then realizing it was just domestic terrorism, was a big let down. This revelation killed it for me.

This is one of those films that wanted to be bigger than it was and could have been a better if they developed better plot lines, but was just kind of meh.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I liked the movie, but the plot was much weaker than the first. It started off about Islamic terrorists, then cartels smuggling terrorists across the border, but the first 20 minutes are basically forgotten the rest of the movie as the CIA decides to steal the head cartel's (that we never see in the movie) daughter to start a war with rival cartels. It was just weird.
Dimebag Darrell
Bruce Almighty said:

I liked the movie, but the plot was much weaker than the first. It started off about Islamic terrorists, then cartels smuggling terrorists across the border, but the first 20 minutes are basically forgotten the rest of the movie as the CIA decides to steal the head cartel's (that we never see in the movie) daughter to start a war with rival cartels. It was just weird.
I think the first 15 or so minutes was to highlight the "never let a crisis go to waste" mentality in DC, as the Islamic attacks, by Middle Eastern dudes who crossed the border with Cartel help, paved the way to issue an executive order declaring Cartels terror organizations to be fought more directly. Those bombings were just a segue imo.

I agree that it is way more fragmented than the 1st, but I still love the movie.
TCTTS
AG
I don't know that I buy Brolin putting the Sicario franchise in the same bucket as No Country for Old Men, True Grit, or especially Paul Thomas Anderson movies. That, and 2023 so far is proof that just about any movie with name brand recognition is doing incredibly well at the box office (save for Shazam!, of course). A third Sicario movie would absolutely make its budget back and then some.

We're currently working on a project with the production company behind the first two installments, and it sounds like it's more of a creative issue than anything. Sometimes it simply takes time, and multiple writers/passes, to truly crack a worthy follow up. Further adding to the challenge is the fact that the writer of the first two movies - Taylor Sheridan - is neck deep in his "Sheridan-verse" for TV, with Yellowstone, 1883, 1923, Mayor of Kingstown, Tulsa King, and whatever else he's working on.
Sea Speed
AG
Shazam isn't doing well? The first one was really fun, even though it is way under my age range.
TCTTS
AG
Malachi Constant
AG
Great way to end the story with Blunt returning.
DallasTeleAg
Yeah, but will Denis Villeneuve direct.

Love the first movie. Found the second to be forgettable.
TCTTS
AG
Hell. Yes.

TCTTS
AG
It really does feel like they're pulling out all the stops to make this a memorable/worthy third entry. I would be surprised to see Villeneuve return, but they can still land a great filmmaker.
The Marksman
AG
Benicio del Toro is so good in these movies
beanbean
Awesome! I can't wait for this.
LB12Diamond
AG
1 was great

2 average

Hope 3 is more like the first.
FL_Ag1998
AG
The second was only "lesser" because of how awesome the first is. It was just fine. Can't wait for the third one.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I love both.
torrid
AG
I think I previously read they tried to bring Emily Blunt back for the sequel, but they had difficulty coming up with the proper concept. It would be interesting to see what they do come up with.

Best I can figure, her character would now be just as jaded and ruthless as Brolin's and Del Toro's. Maybe they have an operation really go sideways, and she is tasked with bringing them down.
Max Power
AG
torrid said:

I think I previously read they tried to bring Emily Blunt back for the sequel, but they had difficulty coming up with the proper concept. It would be interesting to see what they do come up with.

Best I can figure, her character would now be just as jaded and ruthless as Brolin's and Del Toro's. Maybe they have an operation really go sideways, and she is tasked with bringing them down.
Based on how her story concluded in the first film it would be tough to see her on Brolin's side or Del Toro's. She's too by the book and also saw how far they had to go to get things done. I could see her is becoming a prosecutor perhaps so that she doesn't have to have her hands in the dirty work and doesn't have to see what's behind the curtain. That or she'd have to pivot from the drug side specifically and maybe end up focusing on something where she's willing to bend the rules to succeed, like if she was involved in investigating human trafficking. That would be interesting to me, to see her character change and be willing to do what Brolin and Del Toro do for what she believes to be worth the cost.

I love the first one but I'm not big on the second one. I'd totally be there for a third regardless of my thoughts on the second.
TCTTS
AG
I feel like, by the very end of the first movie, while Blunt's character didn't agree with Brolin and Del Toro's methods, she at least finally understood/accepted them, when she put down her gun and "let" Del Toro's character go. Either way, yeah, it'll definitely be interesting to see where she is now with all of that.
Dimebag Darrell
FL_Ag1998 said:

The second was only "lesser" because of how awesome the first is. It was just fine. Can't wait for the third one.

This, I still find myself watching the second a few times a year. It's a great flick to me. A hair below the first, but better in some ways. BDT is a fuggin badass in these movies. An iconic role to me.
TCTTS
AG
There are rumors - unsubstantiated, but at least above the usual muck - that Villeneuve may very well be returning to direct the third movie - now rumored to be called Sicario: Capos (Bosses) - with the whole gang coming back as well, including Emily Blunt, as previously mentioned.

This would be the movie Villeneuve has chosen to make between Dune: Part Two and Dune Messiah (one of the "four" scripts he recently mentioned that he's currently developing).

Now, again, this could all turn out to be BS, but at this early stage there do seem to at least be some kernels of credibility here. We shall see...

schmendeler
AG
Villeneuve coming back would be huge. Significant drop off in quality to number two, imo.
krosch11
AG
Agreed. Sicario was a masterpiece . 2 was eh
fletch01
AG
Villeneuve coming back would be a game changer. The pure concept of the sicario played by BDT can't help but have some awesome scenes, no matter who's directing. But Villeneuve's directorial prowess made the 1st a classic. No way the 2nd one can be considered a classic. Either way, with Blunt returning, I'm all in for #3.
TCTTS
AG
jeffk
AG
Hopefully we get Sheridan the movie writer and not Sheridan the tv writer.
MBAR
AG
TCTTS said:

Hell. Yes.

I hate this. Sciario was a film taht should have never had a sequel but of course the way IP is treated these days the studio didn't give a **** about that. Sicrio 2 isn't a bad film, but it has none of the soul of the first one. Sicario 2 doens't need Sicario to exist as a movie.

I'd be stocked to see a MI style action film about the cartels but its going to have almost nothing to do with the first film and bringing back Blunt is a bad move and it doesn't fit with character at all.

EDIT: I would hate DV returning even more. I want to see him do something new!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.