Covers you like better than the original

2,347 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Scruffy
javajaws
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I ran across this cover of "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" on Tidal last night and it caught me off guard how good it was. The original by Whitney while without question is great, just never really connected with me emotionally. The tempo and feel of that original is very much a "pop" song and the words just don't really connect on anything but a superficial level given the more upbeat tempo and style.

This rendition however takes that song and seemingly turns it into something totally different: a song of longing and loneliness yet also hope. And as you listen to the sadness in her voice the main line of wanting to dance with somebody then takes on entirely new levels of meaning.

powerbelly
AG
Here you go:

https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/3236719/replies
Big Cat `93
AG
David Byrne's version of that song is really good.
Ferg

BadMoonRisin
AG
cav14

JB!98
AG
Van Halen:

"You really got me know"
"Pretty Woman"
Today, unfortunately, many Americans have good reason to fear that they will be victimized if they are unable to protect themselves. And today, no less than in 1791, the Second Amendment guarantees their right to do so. - Justice Samuel Alito 2022
DallasTeleAg
I mean... I put some of mine in the thread from last October, but I'll play again.

Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
I like Ariana Grande and Kristin Chenoweth dueting "You Don't Own Me".

On a side note Chenoweths speaking voice = kinda annoying. Her singing voice = kinda good.
johnnyblaze36
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This thread is a bad cover of a good thread.
Petrino1
I may get some hate for these, but this is what came to mind when I saw the thread title. Also, I think Whitneys Houston's version is way better lol. Its such a feel good/happy song, whenever they play it out in public people cant help but smile and dance. Its a song that never gets old.

Bruce Almighty
AG
Love Song - 311
Higher Ground RHCP
Funky Winkerbean
AG
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
An L of an Ag
AG
Lemonheads - "Mrs. Robinson"
Cake - "I Will Survive"
and I'm gonna get blasted for this, but

Social Distortion - "Ring of Fire"
rynning
AG

Bruce Almighty
AG
Jimi Hendrix - Hey Joe
Jimi Hendrix - All Along the Watchtower
Jimi Hendrix - Wild Thing

And yes, his original versions of Little Wing and Voodoo Child are better than SRV.
DallasTeleAg
Exactly. Never understood why people prefer the SRV versions of those. Little Wing is such an amazing song, not only because of the amazing guitar and song itself, but because it hits all the notes then ends.
SidetrackAg
AG
Wish You Were Here - Avenged Sevenfold
Simple Man - Shinedown
TXAG 05
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Exactly. Never understood why people prefer the SRV versions of those. Little Wing is such an amazing song, not only because of the amazing guitar and song itself, but because it hits all the notes then ends.

My only complaint about Jimi's Little Wing is that it is so short. I usually listen to it like 3 times in a row.
Rexter
c-jags
My answer to this question is always Hurt by Johnny Cash.

The real beauty of the song is the video and that the song has completely different meanings from Trent Reznor contemplating suicide as a kid in his 20s and Johnny Cash looking back on his life and fearing it's all for not.

Sometimes when I think about it, I go watch YouTube reaction videos of it. The range of emotions from people hearing it for the first time is amazing. I saw a 200 lb rapper brought to tears hearing it.
Garrelli 5000
AG
About 1:20 until they play.

Love Daniel Padim. Fantastic fingerstyle guitarist.

Take the trash out staff.
maroon barchetta
c-jags said:

The real beauty of the song is the video and that the song has completely different meanings from Trent Reznor contemplating suicide as a kid in his 20s and Johnny Cash looking back on his life and fearing it's all for not.

Sometimes when I think about it, I go watch YouTube reaction videos of it. The range of emotions from people hearing it for the first time is amazing. I saw a 200 lb rapper brought to tears hearing it.

Reaction videos are real?
Southlake
Blue Bayou by Linda Ronstadt. ( amoungst others)
c-jags
maroon barchetta said:

c-jags said:

I mean I don't overly watch them but one time I was looking for the music video and one popped up. Sent me on a bunny trail.
rononeill
I am truly impressed no one has submitted "Blinded by the Light". Anyone doing so is a blasphemer. Keep it up.
Prosperdick
AG
Big Cat `93 said:

David Byrne's version of that song is really good.

My sister is the cellist, good shot of her around the 3:00 minute mark. Her quartet got to do a world tour with David and was one of the highlights of her career. When they played in Dallas I got to meet him after the show, super cool and humble guy and was getting beers for everybody.
Duckhook
AG
Prosperdick
Bruce Almighty
AG
c-jags said:

maroon barchetta said:

c-jags said:

I mean I don't overly watch them but one time I was looking for the music video and one popped up. Sent me on a bunny trail.
Most of them are fake. They are playing up to their audience.
johnnyblaze36
AG
c-jags said:

Trent's own reaction to it is pretty great and perfectly put on the rest:

https://www.hipvideopromo.com/looking-back-trent-reznor-on-johnny-cashs-cover-of-hurt/
hunter2012
AG
I've got a weird one for this thread. Odd that a great cover was made for a specific movie scene.

NoahAg
This

over this
Let's go, Brandon!
NoahAg
This

over this
Let's go, Brandon!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.