Lego Thread

27,748 Views | 267 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by ChipFTAC01
K Bo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone in to building Legos? The Sneaker Thread got me thinking about this and I assumed this might be the right place for this (although the Nerdery might be more appropriate). I find building Legos therapeutic and it makes me feel like a kid again. Post up whatcha got.

I most recently built the shuttle, planned to build the Home Alone house around the holidays but didn't get to it, and the Delorean is the most recent acquisition.

Teacher_Ag
AG
Would love to get into it but the kits are overpriced. Would be a fun hobby but not about to pour several hundred dollars a year into it.
torrid
AG
I got the Saturn V rocket a couple of years back. There is a companion Soyuz rocket that similarly started as a Lego Ideas project, and it has cleared all the required hurdles for support. Lego is currently considering it for a product, but I doubt it will go through in the current international political climate.

Best part about the Saturn V build - not one damn sticker.
schmendeler
AG
I love them and would probably have more, but I don't really have a place to display them. Currently have the Saturn V, Lunar lander, and space shuttle discovery.

There was a Porsche GT 3 a few years ago that i kind of regret not getting. That set was awesome.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
I think there was a similar thread a couple months back that I posted this one. I really like the annual NASA sets, and can't wait to see the next one. Hoping for a Skylab, or maybe even a couple of the experimental aircraft from the 50's and 60's. Whatever it is, I'll buy it.

I've got tons of sets from over the years, but these are the only ones I'll probably display, though I've been really tempted by the new Imperial Walker.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Greatest toy of all time. I've been wanting to build a big Lego diorama for a while now. I have the Star Wars Cantina set. I've been thinking of doing an under the sea one inside of an aquarium.
Gomer95
AG
I have a few Star Wars sets I liked (Millennium Falcon my wife gave me for Christmas, emperor's throne room duel and Slave I) and then I love Tolkien so I bought the Lonely Mountain set with Smaug, and then I have a Chinese fake Lego knockoff of the Black Pearl from Pirates of the Caribbean. The Black Pearl was out of print and expensive but the fake one was like $35 haha. But yes Legos seem to be todays model kits even for us older kids lol.
jeffk
AG
Thanks for starting this thread!

I have almost all of the Speed Champions sets scattered around my office. I'll post of pictures Monday. I buy all the new ones retail but have been slowly gaining the retired sets via eBay.
Lathspell
AG
Definitely the best toy of all time. Growing up, I had a huge box full of my dad's legos from the '70s. They always connected flawlessly to every new lego I got. I remember he used to take me to toys R us and would let me pick out one of the tiny boxes (we didn't have enough money to buy the large sets).

Then ebay came around, and my dad bought me at least 2-3 really awesome sets off there, for great prices. One day, my kids will definitely inherit my dad's and my legos.

Just a perfect toy for developing both sides of your brain, as a kid.
Mayor West
AG
Not a boxed build, but this channel is awesome:

AgfromHOU
AG
I have a Batman cowl and Batman mini keychain

BowSowy
AG
Man, I want to know what you do to be able to afford a sneaker hobby and a Lego hobby
sburg2007
Wife gifted me the child and Vader bust for Christmas. That got me going again realizing how much I enjoyed them. I pulled my old sets out in 2010 and was rebuilding them. Had a house fire that left soot all over so I'm finally working back through cleaning them as best I can. Wife isn't pleased I now just buy whatever I want! Missed the Tie Fighter helmet and my one true regret.

sburg2007

BowSowy
AG
For years now, my Christmas presents have been Star Wars Legos. I love them, love building them. They remind me of my childhood. I've got a couple of bigger models, but most are smaller models. The past few years, my wife has been getting me Christmas themed models.

I don't have a good spot to put them, so they go on a bookshelf in my office which is really one of our guest rooms. My toddler has started to get interested in the Legos, and has already taken down the AT-AT
sburg2007
Took Vader's meditation chamber out via AT-AT! The Christmas ones are fun. If anyone is into what other folks build, Reddit has some great content. I'd never have the time, patience, or monetary funds to do what some of the hobby enthusiasts do, but there is some awesome stuff out there.
BowSowy
AG
Haha, yep! I need to fix that. A lot of these sat crammed in a storage closet for years. Things broke and I have a lot of random pieces that I need to figure out how to fit.
K Bo
AG
BowSowy said:

Man, I want to know what you do to be able to afford a sneaker hobby and a Lego hobby

Don't have kids!
Claude!
Not mine, but some of the displays people do for Lego are pretty awesome, like this Saturn V:
jeffk
AG
Here's the Speed Champions collection so far. Still missing a couple from the early years (they used to make some huge sets in the series but now mainly just include the cars, which I prefer).

K Bo
AG
That's a sick setup. Very nice.
jeffk
AG
Thanks!

If any of you ever get a lead on some older SC sets that someone is off-loading, LMK. I scout ebay and a couple other resale sites monthly to look for some of the older ones, but unfortunately they were high priced at retail and most people know what they have at this point.
wangus12
AG
Have all the NASA ones.

sburg2007
Any of y'all do Star Wars promotion days for May the fourth?
The Milkman
AG
Love LEGO. Every now and then I'll treat myself to a new big one. If I could figure out where/how to display it I'd be all over the new Titanic one.

These are my ones I have out now.

jeffk
AG
Love those big technic car sets.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
The Milkman said:

Now just you hang on just a sec. Tell me more about your Saturn V model. It's not an Apollo set-up - more similar to the Skylab launch configuration, but there was no escape tower on Skylab.

I ask because I had seriously considered buying another Saturn V and following a LEGO community plan to make a Skylab version, but I struggled to buy all the right pieces in the right colors.
ChipFTAC01
AG
jeffk said:

Love those big technic car sets.

My 5 year old got the jeep wrangler for his birthday or Christmas last year. Little dude plugged away at it and knocked it out.
The Milkman
AG
BenTheGoodAg said:

The Milkman said:

Now just you hang on just a sec. Tell me more about your Saturn V model. It's not an Apollo set-up - more similar to the Skylab launch configuration, but there was no escape tower on Skylab.

I ask because I had seriously considered buying another Saturn V and following a LEGO community plan to make a Skylab version, but I struggled to buy all the right pieces in the right colors.
Its a great set but the same as others have posted here. I just have mine sitting vertically instead of broken into the pieces laying on those stands.

This one.
Claude!
I like everything about your setup except the cable management.
schmendeler
AG

This came up in my feed yesterday. The Ferrari sounds interesting, as does the Eiffel Tower.
YouBet
AG
This seems like something I would enjoy although I'm not sure I'm smart enough. I never progressed much past Lincoln Logs as a kid.

Also, I infer from this thread that they do annual(?) releases and once they sell all the kits that's it?
schmendeler
AG
There are some things that get discontinued but they don't usually come out and say "only 1500 being made" for most things. I think for most of their stuff they plan to make it continuously but will drop them in favor of something new or more successful.
jeffk
AG
I'll add that some of their series definitely keep to a year-long or more limited release pattern. Speed Champions, some of the expert sets are only available for a short time and then get replaced by new releases.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
Gottcha. I think there's no Service Module section

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.