*** INVASION *** (Apple TV+ Series)

10,216 Views | 104 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by Milwaukees Best Light
Counterpoint
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Did ep 6 make it worth it?
TCTTS
AG
Hard to say. Let's see how episode seven plays out. Hopefully it's just a case of a way-too-long, five-episode build up, and now we're off an running. That said, I have feeling it might revert back to its old ways. Episode six worked so well in part because it stuck with one storyline for the entire episode. But now we're no doubt going back to following all the intercutting plot lines again, and they've mostly just been so bland and boring and have felt too far removed from the invasion itself, save for the JASA plot line, which got interesting right at the end of episode five. Could go either way from here...
Spyderman
AG
C@LAg said:

Spyderman said:

BowSowy said:

Spyderman said:

Thoughts on the reality of "aliens'?
You don't stop, do you?
Thoughts on this reality?
I am an actual extraterrestrial alien, here to breed with Earth women and drink all your coffee.

and you do not know what you are talking about
This is a classic case of some sort of psychological defense mechanism perhaps. The notion that this subject is much more than fodder for sci-fi entertainment may disturb folks. Time to grow up..
Grab some popcorn...why the ongoing cover-up? The Phenomenon: FF to 1:22:35 https://tubitv.com/movies/632920/the-phenomenon

An est. 68 MILLION Americans, including 19 MILLION Black Children, have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

TAMU purpose statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. Team entrance song at KYLE FIELD is laced with profanity including THE Nword..
The greater good?
schmendeler
AG
How is the latest episode?
TCTTS
AG
Finally caught up again and it's... fine.

The British's kid's story is getting legit interesting, should have been the central story/major pitch for the series, and they should have "revealed" that conceit WAY sooner. I won't spoil it here, but it's a relatively unique take on the invasion story, and has a lot of potential.

The likely downside is that they just paired him with the worst character on the show - the soldier - but it's too early to tell if the soldier brings the kid's storyline down or if the kid manages to finally lift the soldier. For the record, I'm calling him "the soldier" not for non-watchers, but because I STILL don't know his name, after eight episodes. I *think* the kid's character's name is Casper, and he's a fantastic young actor, but man the soldier and the guy playing him are just so bad.

Other than that, the Muslim family's story has basically stalled (after providing the first good episode of the series), and the Japanese woman's story is interesting on paper, and kind of cool, but has become so incredibly repetitive.

Basically, if everything we've seen so far were the first four episodes instead of the first eight, and the writing was, say, even 10% better, this show would be awesome. But they're still dragging this thing out so damn much, for no apparent reason, and I just keep hoping that once everything finally "clicks," we can move at a normal pace. Because there ARE a lot of interesting things going on. I want to know more. It's just that they're doling out the information and pacing this thing in such insanely slow fashion that it's hard to care.

Two episodes left, though, so I'm gonna stick with it for this season at least...
schmendeler
AG
I wish more shows had the bravery (or the permission?) to have 6ish episode seasons.

I enjoy that about a lot of the European sourced series.
RED AG 98
AG
Holy hell ep9 "Full of Stars" was actually fantastic! Like dramatic and suspenseful. First time I've been emotionally drawn in in anyway whatsoever beyond my just wanting the show to be good. Up to this point it's mostly been a way to pass an hour. Some mediocre. Some forgetful. This was legit compelling tv. Go watch it now!
TCTTS
AG
Great to hear. Watching tonight.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, definitely the best episode of the season - an episode that, yet again, should have come earlier in the run. An epileptic kid who discovers he can control an alien specifies (or alien robots, potentially) seemingly in-part made of sound waves, is a legit cool concept. But it shouldn't have taken us nine episodes to get here.

Either way, I can now definitively say that these are, by far, the most inventive aliens I've seen on screen in years. Or, rather, alien henchmen nanotech robots or whatever they might be. All I know is the way they move is so unique and terrifying. That said, I really hope we're not going down the same, tired path of alien invasion stories where the dumbest and most obvious thing ever is what kills them - be it a '90s computer virus, human germs, water (!), or, in this case, a woman with a shard of alien debris and/or a kid who has seizures. Done well, again, the latter can be cool, but it's going to be an incredibly thin line to walk.

It also bugs me that we *still* haven't seen either a clear shot of an alien ship, or know what it is in more detail that has killed everyone so far. Is it just the spiky black aliens causing all the death and destruction? Or are there alien ships wiping out entire cities? How has there still not even been a single grainy news clip of that kind of stuff? The needless obfuscation/lack of context is maddening, highlighted this episode by the nuke explosion hitting... what, exactly?

Oh, well, at least things are FINALLY happening...
TCTTS
AG
Duncan Idaho
This worth dusting off my eye patch and stuffed parrot to watch?
TCTTS
AG
Will let you know after the season one finale in a couple of days.
TCTTS
AG
What a terrible show.

For a series called Invasion - about a literal alien invasion - how was the SEASON FINALE the most boring episode in a season full of boring episodes (save for maybe two)? How is that 40 minutes into hour ten of a ten-hour alien invasion series, we get our first look at an alien space ship? But then manage to make it even more confusing with that final shot of some other ship (some kind of mother ship, I presume)? How do they not further explore the "Was it the kid or the nuke that 'killed' them?" - the only interesting question this series has asked? How did so many people sign-off on such a slow, inept, contextless, needlessly obtuse snooze-fest of a show?

I also thought for sure they'd follow-up at least in some small way on the Sam Neill of it all from the pilot, but nope, that whole thing was apparently just a dumb red herring that served absolutely no purpose whatsoever.

Seriously, what the hell?

I don't know that I've ever been this baffled at the decision-making process of a TV series. And I'm legit angry at both Apple and myself for wasting so much of my time on it.

If anything, for those you on the fence about watching... you now at least have your answer.

Stay far away.
85aggie777
AG
TCTTS said:

What a terrible show.

For a series called Invasion - about a literal alien invasion - how was the SEASON FINALE the most boring episode in a season full of boring episodes (save for maybe two)? How is that 40 minutes into hour ten of a ten-hour alien invasion series, we get our first look at an alien space ship? But then manage to make it even more confusing with that final shot of some other ship (some kind of mother ship, I presume)? How do they not further explore the "Was it the kid or the nuke that 'killed' them?" - the only interesting question this series has asked? How did so many people sign-off on such a slow, inept, contextless, needlessly obtuse snooze-fest of a show?

I also thought for sure they'd follow-up at least in some small way on the Sam Neill of it all from the pilot, but nope, that whole thing was apparently just a dumb red herring that served absolutely no purpose whatsoever.

Seriously, what the hell?

I don't know that I've ever been this baffled at the decision-making process of a TV series. And I'm legit angry at both Apple and myself for wasting so much of my time on it.

If anything, for those you on the fence about watching... you now at least have your answer.

Stay far away.
I agree. That was one of the most tedious sci-fi shows I have ever watched. They spent way too much time being "artsy" rather than advancing the story. And I also kept hoping they would circle back to Sam Neill's character, but, nope. Guess they just wanted him to star in one episode to try and give it some A-lister cred. I also got very tired of how much of the show was in Japanese. It really takes away from my visual enjoyment watching the actors and scenery while I have to read so many subtitles.
TCTTS
AG
In absolute agreement with everything you just said.

Again, I get that the show is supposed to be more about humanity than the aliens. The tagline, after all, is Hold on to your humanity. But if you're going that route, you HAVE to have more compelling characters/stories. And their arcs/journeys actually have to advance, more than they did, across ten hours of televsion. As is, each story, save for the British kid's, was so incredibly slow and repetitive.

It was also desperately missing a character with any charisma or spark whatsoever. Overall, I just wanted more... life. More mischief. More dread. More wonder. More purpose. More of a sense of discovery.

Instead, what we got was the most vanilla show of all time about the end of the world.
TitanAGGIE09
AG
I got about 15min into ep10 last night and stopped it. Just over the show at this point. I would have still been disappointed in the show, but I was thinking to myself ep9 could have been the finale. I agree with everyone above.. this may be the most "meh" show of all time.
double aught
AG
I haven't watched the show (and surely won't now), but I've definitely enjoyed this thread. Thank you all for your sacrifice.
Faustus
Duncan Idaho said:

This worth dusting off my eye patch and stuffed parrot to watch?
I think for TCTTS the answer was to watch it from a distance.
Silver Arrows
AG
This show was terrible. I can't believe that they spend so much money on this. It's so bad that it almost makes me angry because of what it could have been.
Max Power
AG
I need to search the depths of my brain to find a show with less of a payoff than Invasion. An entire 10 episode season, which had exactly one truly entertaining episode, one. This is not a cheap show, it's financed by Apple. It's the most rudderless crap I've seen in a long time, it had no idea where it was coming from or where it was going. The only character with a real arc I was interested was Sam Neal, and he was killed off early. The alien design was stupid. Almost all the characters were terribly conceived. But the biggest crime was the story itself was crap. They really only needed a couple of stories from different parts around the world, but most of what they put on screen was unnecessary and incoherent, and that's putting it mildly. I haven't heard any real positive press about this show, a second season puzzles me.

If they redid season one from scratch I'd invest the whole thing in the kid in London, and Sam Neal, small town sheriff in Oklahoma. The Japanese NASA storyline was nothing. The American soldier story was also nothing. I was also out on the family from NY real early, they tried to overcomplicate it with family drama to draw us in and invest, well the opposite happened with me.

Did I miss something? Who were the people that used a humvee and a F150 to take out a heavy duty military transport? WTF was going on? I'm so confused.

I will admit the very lost shot of the season was great, that was a tremendous visual/holy **** moment. That's the kind of stuff I thought I was signing on for. And the size of the ship that landed in the Amazon was cool to see as well.
TitanAGGIE09
AG
Max Power said:

Did I miss something? Who were the people that used a humvee and a F150 to take out a heavy duty military transport? WTF was going on? I'm so confused.

I was so out at the end of that episode that didn't even cross my mind as strange until I read this..
TCTTS
AG
Made absolutely sense. They literally just came out of nowhere. To be the people who end up killing one of the main characters, and seem to be chasing that family specifically, for us to not have any idea who they were and why they were after that family, was so incredibly baffling. How do you not set that up better? How did no one who read/approved these scripts, or worked on set, question any of it? I seriously do not understand how this show got made. I know intimately how hard it is to make a TV show. I know all the questions any competent studio exec asks, all throughout development, and it's just baffling to me that this nonsense got pushed through the system, when the process is far more often than not a gauntlet of continuous interrogation and critical thinking.
RED AG 98
AG
Series was so disjointed in general that I had to think really hard about which set of dudes in humvees that roll up you were talking about and only clued in when I read they killed off a character.

I wanted this to be good. There is a story (-ies) in there somewhere that are interesting but man this was overall a major disappointment. Shockingly so given it had to have cost a fortune.
Houston Lee
AG
I just kept waiting for Travante to finally change out of his bloody, nasty desert camouflage uniform and take his ammo vest off.

He finally does and ends up at the beach in jeans and a long sleeve button down shirt. At the beach.

LOL!
Counterpoint
AG
double aught said:

I haven't watched the show (and surely won't now), but I've definitely enjoyed this thread. Thank you all for your sacrifice.
This. Thanks so much to everyone who saved me a lot of time. Can't wait for the season 2 thread (although I think it will have much less participation)!
TCTTS
AG
David Wallace said:

I just kept waiting for Travante to finally change out of his bloody, nasty desert camouflage uniform and take his ammo vest off.

He finally does and ends up at the beach in jeans and a long sleeve button down shirt. At the beach.

LOL!

I had the EXACT same thought, on both accounts. He had to have worn that same nasty uniform for days and days; in combat, across an entire desert, on a long ass plane ride, walking all through London, on another long ass plane ride, and then home. At least he finally gets a little rest and relaxation and what does he do? Wears a long sleeve button up, jeans, and Timberlands... to the beach. All I could do was laugh at that point.

His character really was so bad and so incredibly hard to root for. The entire season he was basically just a bitter, agro assh/le who would awkwardly yell cuss words at the weirdest times and that was about it. Especially with a different actor, it would have been so easy to give his character a little charm, have him actually willingly help out the people in the desert instead of being a curmudgeon pr/ck, and basically just have him be a badass John McLane/Han Solo/Will Smith type who wisecracks a bit, endearingly talks to himself, ultimately has a heart of gold, etc.

Also, why on earth was his motivation to get home to his estranged wife? I felt nothing for his plight because I was constantly wondering if she was was even going to take him back, never mind the fact that it was obvious why she left him in the first place, to the point where I legit hoped she'd be long gone by the time he finally made it home. But why not just keep it simple and have us root for him to get back to a woman who clearly loves him, who he's still with, who maybe even just gave birth to their baby he had yet to meet?

Again, the fixes to this show were so simple, and they just completely botched it at every turn.
Teddy Perkins
AG
What a worthless finale. I legit thought Ep 9 was the finale until I got the notification of a new episode of Invasion. Most cringe part to me was the doctor falling for the mom and kissing her because she's such a good doctor. Ugggh. How did anyone sit in a room and decide this was a good way to tell this story? It's baffling.
Rocagnante
AG
Yeah that finale was lame. Had hope show would finish strong. It seemed to pick up in middle episodes but then finished "meh".

I'm with TC. For a show about an alien invasion that's kicking humanity's ass there were frustratingly few shots of the invasion itself.
Belton Ag
AG
Just finished it.

When Seinfeld pioneered the concept of a "Show About Nothing" I don't think they had the sci-fi drama genre in mind.
MaroonStain
AG
I liked it. Onto Season 2...
Ghost91
I'm late to the party on this one. I actually enjoyed it, but have many of the same questions/concerns.

- Obviously the British kid (Casper) is 'special' and has some kind of connection to the aliens, but what about the Muslim boy? He was the only one at the school that didn't get a nosebleed, then the only one at the farmhouse that could hear the high pitched ringing, and he found/bonded with the piece of black alien material. But they never took it further than that - is he 'connected' also?

- OMG is the lesbian astronaut dead or alive?? They showed her doing the Princess Leia space crawl back into the shuttle, but then mission control determined the speech to be synthetic, no breathing etc. ???

- Regarding the redneck civilians versus the national guard humvee battle - when the Muslim husband ran into the national guard guy in the forest, he (national guard guy) identified himself as knowing the Muslim wife, had worked with her when she was running around playing doctor, etc. But then he seemed to be working with the rednecks and was on their side - ?

- Why was the army trying to get the Muslim family to the Pentagon in the first place? Was it solely because of the shard of alien rock? If so, why not just take the rock? Why did they need the entire family? And why did the rednecks even care?

- More of an observation than a question, but why in the world would earth rejoice after taking out ONE alien ship? Did they have reason to assume that the entire alien species was on that one ship and that there was zero chances of reinforcements arriving?
djmeen95
AG
Wish I'd have found this thread before just binge watching this series as I was dealing with a head cold this weekend.

So damn slow. Glacial. And it's never a good thing when - halfway through a season about an alien invasion of earth - you start rooting for main characters to die.

And holy hell - clearly I have never truly loved anyone. Because that Japanese chick could not f-acking get on with life AT ALL after Hinata was lost - to the point of pulling ludicrously obnoxious crap episode after episode because…

SHE LOVED HINATA! YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND BECAUSE YOU NEVER HAD ANYTHING LIKE THAT LOVE. EVER. AND NOW ITS GONE.

BUT MAYBE IT'S NOT AND ONLY MITSUKI - WHO HAS EVER LOVED ANYONE LIKE THIS - CAN FIGURE OUT THIS PUZZLE AND COMMUNICATE WITH ALIENS TO SAVE HER LOVE!!!

BECAUSE THATS HOW SQUID GAMES ARE PLAYED AND YOU WOULDN'T KNOW THAT BECAUSE YOU'VE NEVER LOVED HINATA OR EVEN HAD A GGANBU, HAVE YOU?!?

Sorry - blacked out for a sec with a seizure and saw some alien stuff / controlled a hive mind but I'm back now…. where was I?

Oh - I remember, James Harden on steroids. This Mulitverse stuff is getting out of hand.

No, wait, that's not right - oh yeah - I was reacting to the final episode which managed to confuse me more than the prior 9 episodes while simultaneously making me hate more characters that I had up to this point - which is truly an accomplishment.

W
T
F

Season recap in gif form for those who don't want to read:

Rocagnante
AG
James Harden! Lol. I thought the same thing every time that actor was shown. WTF is James Harden doing on here? When did he get into acting?
Spyderman
AG
Here's a trailer for a very good documentary dealing with the subject:

No, its not science-fiction. In this case, reality is far more fascinating than fiction.

You folk that enjoy a good movie dealing with this reality...what are your thoughts on it?
Grab some popcorn...why the ongoing cover-up? The Phenomenon: FF to 1:22:35 https://tubitv.com/movies/632920/the-phenomenon

An est. 68 MILLION Americans, including 19 MILLION Black Children, have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

TAMU purpose statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. Team entrance song at KYLE FIELD is laced with profanity including THE Nword..
The greater good?
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
This was an absolute piece of crap. I have never hated a fictional character more than I did the quasi doctor lady. Fake James Harden wasn't much better. I don't even really know how they killed the aliens and I don't care enough to look back and find out. I hate the Lina Hidalgo look alike. Hell, she even sounds the same with the whiny crying voice. ****! I hated this and want my time back.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.