HBO White Lotus

39,798 Views | 302 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by MooreTrucker
Malibu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Recommending this one to the board to see where it goes. The pilot has some incredible dark comedy that had me laughing, and rarely does TV make me laugh.
Counterpoint
AG
What's it similar to? I haven't seen anything about it.
bonfarr
AG
Do we get to see Daddario's bewbs in this new show?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
bonfarr said:

No, not yet. A little ass..... but you get to see Steve Zahns balls and more. So there's that.

Counterpoint
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

bonfarr said:

but you get to see Steve Zahns balls and more. So there's that.

You're not selling this very well so far!
Malibu
Not sure yet what I'd compare it to, maybe The British version of Death at a Funeral style of dark comedy with some decent gags dropped in but way darker. The Kiwi hotel manager is absolutely hilarious but mostly very dry, which is my preferred comedy. And there's plenty for the T&A (and balls) crowd too.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Counterpoint said:

What's it similar to? I haven't seen anything about it.

I could not compare it to anything. It's really different. Definitely selling an uncomfortable vibe. Dark but really dry comedy thus far. First episode was really just setting the scene, getting to know the characters, etc.

Had a weird dark Fantasy Island feel to it initially as the (wealthy) guests arrived by private boat to this exclusive and isolated resort. Basically follows a family (parents Connie Britton and Steve Zahn), a newlywed couple (Daddario and Jake Lacy), and an older lady (the original American Pie M I L F Jennifer Coolidge) at this exclusive resort and the some of the staff are main characters too (the manager an Aussie playing a NZer is a riot).
TopFlightReject
Zombie Jon Snow said:

bonfarr said:

No, not yet. A little ass..... but you get to see Steve Zahns balls and more. So there's that.

There's no way those were real balls.. like those had to be prosthetics right?

So far the first episode was great and I look forward to the rest.

Anyone want to take a guess as to who the dead body is?

Also.. for the T&A factor.. give me some of that Connie Britton woo mama. I recognize the daughter from Euphoria where she showed plenty of T&A.
Squirrel Master
AG
I'm guessing Jennifer Coolidge's character is the dead body. I'm not really basing that on anything other than Daddario is the overly obvious answer.
goadius6
AG
Was wondering if a thread would start up for this, i really enjoyed the first episode, can't wait to see where it goes as it definitely will turn dark.

Has the aussie manager guy been in anything else? didn't recognize him but he was fantastic
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
goadius6 said:

Was wondering if a thread would start up for this, i really enjoyed the first episode, can't wait to see where it goes as it definitely will turn dark.

Has the aussie manager guy been in anything else? didn't recognize him but he was fantastic

Bunch of soap opera and small roles on TV series. Never starred in anything I recognize.
TopFlightReject
If i had to guess i'm going to say Armond the manager. I noticed Lacy's character at the very beginning still wearing his wedding ring so i'm going to guess Daddario's character is still alive but maybe left because his mom shows up...
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Oddball wild ass left field way too early theory..... which is probably not true because making us think it was Daddario is a clear indication that it was not. But what the heck.....

The newlywed husbands fixation with the honeymoon suite is because he was supposed to kill Daddario's character in that suite and something about that suite makes it easy to fake. One of its features. And the Mom shows up (she was in the previews) in order to help him come up with a new plan to kill her. Why? Because remember how she wrote some profile piece about the other mom (Connie Britton) my guess is she wrote something disparaging about his mom or his family and they want her dead. So he convinces her to marry him quickly (recall how she described them meeting and how she said he was very convincing and knew what he wanted) and plans her murder.

Now maybe it goes another way - maybe the mom ends up dead and she left - but I think that was the plan.

TopFlightReject
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Oddball wild ass left field way too early theory..... which is probably not true because making us think it was Daddario is a clear indication that it was not. But what the heck.....

The newlywed husbands fixation with the honeymoon suite is because he was supposed to kill Daddario's character in that suite and something about that suite makes it easy to fake. One of its features. And the Mom shows up (she was in the previews) in order to help him come up with a new plan to kill her. Why? Because remember how she wrote some profile piece about the other mom (Connie Britton) my guess is she wrote something disparaging about his mom or his family and they want her dead. So he convinces her to marry him quickly (recall how she described them meeting and how she said he was very convincing and knew what he wanted) and plans her murder.

Now maybe it goes another way - maybe the mom ends up dead and she left - but I think that was the plan.

Great theory!!! Its the damn plunge pool he kept biotching about to the manager!!!
FtBendTxAg
AG
Decent first episode
Bunk Moreland
Watching pilot now and ep 2 next. It's... Odd to start but interesting...But Iike Steve Zahn.

And Alexandra Daddario is my soul mate even though she doesn't know it so I'm in.
Madmarttigan
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Watching pilot now and ep 2 next. It's... Odd to start but interesting...But Iike Steve Zahn.

And Alexandra Daddario is my soul mate even though she doesn't know it so I'm in.

She probably has a lot of unknown soul mates.
Formerly tv1113
Bunk Moreland
I'd imagine so.
FtBendTxAg
AG
bonfarr said:

Didn't have to wait long. Ep2.
Sex Panther
AG
Loved the first episode. Very excited I get Daddario boobs in the next
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
Sex Panther said:

Loved the first episode. Very excited I get Daddario boobs in the next
boob, singular.
TCTTS
AG
Jack Lacey putting in the work, starting from the bottom and working his way up the ranks of on-screen girlfriends...

- 2015 - Lena Dunham (Girls)

- 2015 - Rooney Mara (Carol)

- 2016 - Leslie Mann (How to Be Single)

- 2019 - Michelle Williams (Fosse/Verdan)

- 2020 - Zoe Kravitz (High Fidelity)

- 2021 - Alexandra Daddario (The White Lotus)

From Dunham to Daddario: The Jake Lacey Story
TCTTS
AG
Did his character ever date anyone on The Office? I can't remember.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Yea he dated Erin. They flirted for a long time while she was dating Andy and then eventually started dating.
TCTTS
AG
Dang, I though it was only Gabe who dated her. I've basically erased "the new class" episodes from my mind.
Mr. White
I'm in the minority who liked Pete and Clark (Plop and Fart).
Sex Panther
AG
TCTTS said:

Jack Lacey putting in the work, starting from the bottom and working his way up the ranks of on-screen girlfriends...

- 2015 - Lena Dunham (Girls)

Anyone who can pull that acting job off deserves an Emmy and to get to make out with Alexandra Daddario
schmidthead
"2 syllables but the second part is one syllable" had me irrationally in tears.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Really enjoying this show, mainly bc I have no idea which direction they will take it. And the acting is great.
KidDoc
AG
I keep expecting it to kick into gear but still just plodding along. It does have nice scenery so I guess I'll keep watching?

I really don't like the teens but that is probably a good acting job as a bratty know it all liberal rich teen.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
mavsfan4ever
AG
I'm loving it. I get how it's not for everyone bc nothing big has really happened yet. But I laughed out loud multiple times during this episode. Daddario's husband's facial expressions while they were on the boat had me rolling. They were great. And then the dad's conversation with the hotel manager (and the manager's response to him) was hilarious.

goadius6
AG
Steve Zahn absolutely crushed it the entire episode. He and his son's interactions are hilarious and so cringey
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
Three episodes in, and I'm still not sure whether or not to recommend this to my buddy text thread or not. I like it, but really have no clue if I actually do!? The daughter is killing her part though, as are really all the characters. I'm hooked, but not. Such a weird show, that I think I like.
Counterpoint
AG
Anagrammatic Nudist said:

Three episodes in, and I'm still not sure whether or not to recommend this to my buddy text thread or not. I like it, but really have no clue if I actually do!? The daughter is killing her part though, as are really all the characters. I'm hooked, but not. Such a weird show, that I think I like.

Is this paragraph an anagram?
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
Counterpoint said:

Anagrammatic Nudist said:

Is this paragraph an anagram?
Ha, that would have been even better. It's basically the exact ebb and flow of my mind as I have been watching these episodes. That, and the even creepier portrayal of the Tanya character (Jennifer Coolidge) that reminds me so much of my mom.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.