Random movie/tv fun, stories, and factoids...

77,015 Views | 486 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by Rudyjax
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Often I run across random posts or links on Twitter that I find funny or interesting, that don't really have a designated thread here, so I figured I'd create a catch-all. Starting with the two gems below. And you guys obviously feel free to add whatever, whenever...
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG

Another Doug
AG
Most people know about this, but still interesting to see

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
MASAXET
AG
Looking forward to this thread
double aught
AG
First two entries are outstanding.
MASAXET
AG
TCTTS said:

I've heard this before and it is hysterical.

Counterpoint at this risk of an unnecessary tangent, but he's definitely underestimating the difficulties associated with drilling. Hell, the efforts to plug the deepwater horizon hole were more like a mission to mars than anything else.

This is also not a defense of Bay as if he put any more than a passing thought into it.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
The Murphy house in Robocop II is my Greek aunt's old house in the Montrose area of Houston. While they were scouting locations to shoot the movie, they approached her and offered her $5,000 to use her house for one day of shooting.

The opening part with Murphy in the squad car watching the kid on the bike ride up and greet his mom is her house on the outside. None of the flashbacks were filmed there, but the little part where his widow is looking out the blinds as he drives by is inside my aunt's house as well.

https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?locations=1811%20McDuffie%20St,%20Houston,%20Texas,%20USA&ref_=ttloc_loc_1

Another Doug
AG
MASAXET said:

TCTTS said:

Counterpoint at this risk of an unnecessary tangent, but he's definitely underestimating the difficulties associated with drilling. Hell, the efforts to plug the deepwater horizon hole were more like a mission to mars than anything else.

This is also not a defense of Bay as if he put any more than a passing thought into it.

Deepwater horizon is not exactly a ringing endorsement of the ability of drillers
TCTTS
AG
That's awesome.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
TCTTS said:

Harry Stamper trash-talking Lucius Malfoy is pretty weird too.
bluefire579
AG
Was going to make a joke about Viggo breaking his foot in Two Towers because that's kind of a go-to, but this is much more interesting because Christopher Lee is an absolute real life badass

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Robert Deniro was originally going to play Tom Hanks' role in Big.
powerbelly
AG
Christopher Lee is the best.
MASAXET
AG
Another Doug said:

MASAXET said:

TCTTS said:

Deepwater horizon is not exactly a ringing endorsement of the ability of drillers
Certainly not, which somewhat goes to my point (although a bit different)
israeliag
AG
TCTTS said:

Often I run across random posts or links on Twitter that I find funny or interesting, that don't really have a designated thread here, so I figured I'd create a catch-all. Starting with the two gems below. And you guys obviously feel free to add whatever, whenever...

What was that one movie thread that just turned into your stories about run ins with celebs?

Anyway, any more stories like those? (And yeah, I get it if not: pandemic and all that.)
TCTTS
AG
https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/2606217

Ha, I can tell you about all the celebs I've seen on TV during the pandemic!
SJEAg
AG
Surprising that Eddie worked with Landis again in BHC3.
bluefire579
AG
powerbelly said:

Christopher Lee is the best.
He really is. Listened to a podcast episode about him recently that had other fun facts:

• Knew Ian Fleming, was a partial inspiration for the character James Bond, going back to his service with the British during WWII, and was who they wanted to originally play Dr. No (forget why he didn't end up doing so
  • Was apparently a huge LotR fan, wanted to play Gandalf, but was considered too old and instead really embraced the antagonist role of Saruman. Apparently the only one involved in the trilogy who had met Tolkien.
  • Wicker Man (the original, not the Nic Cage one) was one of the films he was most proud of and he spoke very publicly about it when it came out
  • In Attack of the Clones, did a lot of his own swordsmanship with the lightsaber, and utilized his actual knowledge of swords to develop Dooku's fighting style
  • When he wanted to get into acting, was considered too tall for it. Ended up, of course, becoming one of the most prolific actors in terms of movies made, appearing in a couple of hundred movies and never having a break for more than 4 months throughout his career. Had numerous Guinness World Records relating to it while he was alive (forget the specifics)

Reciting these from memory, so maybe some mild inaccuracies, but really a remarkable life and career.
powerbelly
AG
He also recorded 4 heavy metal albums.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
He also met Tolkien in person. Only person involved in the movies to do so.

Edit: Oops, should've read that post more carefully.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Another tidbit: Lee witnessed the final public execution to be carried out in France.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugen_Weidmann
Ag 11
AG
We could make whole thread talking about how badass Christopher Lee was
AgfromHOU
AG
Fun fact: Cruella De Vil wanted to skin Dalmatians for a fur coat. She had no intention of actually owning any dogs.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
https://www.speechbuddy.com/blog/speech-disorders/darth-vaders-stutter/

Quote:

James Earl Jones began his career in theater, but his first breakout film role was in "Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb." Since then, his meteoric rise to fame has included numerous voiceovers for roles like Mufasa in "The Lion King." "Star Wars" fanatics everywhere can immediately identify Jones as the infamous, deep voice of Darth Vader. But the man who would give Darth Vader his trademark voice had previously lost his. In fact, James Earl Jones suffered a debilitating speech disorder in his childhood. Because of it, Jones remained functionally mute for eight years. If it hadn't been for the tenacity of a high school English teacher, Darth Vader might have had a much less impressive voice.
PatAg
AG
I'm not sure this entirely counts for the thread, and I haven't found it on youtube yet, but the Scrubs directors commentary is the last of those that I found to be truly interesting/insightful.
It's not only Bill Lawrence, but Zach Braff, Donald Faison, and others join him frequently, and they give a lot of really cool behind the scenes stories as well as shop talk for how or why they shot scenes.

I'll edit this if I do find any examples.
Quad Dog
AG
The actor that sold all the guns in Taxi Driver was apparently a really crazy guy in real-life. So much so that Scorsese made a documentary about him that was never released. In it he told a story about a friend that overdosed and he had to revive them with a shot of adrenalin to the heart. Guess who was one of the few people to see that documentary?

Wicked Good Ag
I always knew Eric Stoltz was replaced by Micheal J Fox but never knew they had gotten pretty far in filming for him to be in that many scenes before replacing him.
Complete Idiot
Fat Bib Fortuna said:

The Murphy house in Robocop II is my Greek aunt's old house in the Montrose area of Houston. While they were scouting locations to shoot the movie, they approached her and offered her $5,000 to use her house for one day of shooting.

The opening part with Murphy in the squad car watching the kid on the bike ride up and greet his mom is her house on the outside. None of the flashbacks were filmed there, but the little part where his widow is looking out the blinds as he drives by is inside my aunt's house as well.

https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?locations=1811%20McDuffie%20St,%20Houston,%20Texas,%20USA&ref_=ttloc_loc_1

A Bastrop house I lived in for a few years as a kid was later used in a Glidden paint commercial, then featured throughout an entire movie starring Willem Dafoe, Julia Roberts, and Ryan Reynolds (it was a huge flop apparently). It's a nice older home but certainly not special, even in Bastrop which is full of great old houses. Very surreal to see it on screen.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
A slightly more believable plot for Armagedon would have been NASA and the drillers train together. The drillers are the "backup" but the astronauts die in the first try ( maybe they miss landing on the rock and die) then the drillers have to do it.

also isn't Christopher Lee considered the "center" of the Hollywood universe in terms or his "Bacon" number to all other actors? Or in this scenario it should be his "Lee" number.
TCTTS
AG
Amazing...

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I heard this story from Bob Gale in the making of doc. Cool to see the memo.

So many interesting stories behind the scenes for that movie. Such as filming a huge chunk of the movie at night because MJF was shooting Family Ties all day and he would work 20+ hour days.

And the original time machine being a refrigerator, with the plot device used to send Marty back to the future being a nuclear bomb. (A scene which was eventually used on Indy 4.)
gggmann
AG
AgfromHOU said:

Fun fact: Cruella De Vil wanted to skin Dalmatians for a fur coat. She had no intention of actually owning any dogs.
Granted it's been 30 years or more since I saw it, but wasn't that a key plot point? She wanted the puppies to make a fur coat. It was pretty explicit from what I remember.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TC didn't know this and now it's become a running joke that he'll never live down, it seems.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.