3,574 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by West Point Aggie
Cancelled
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That fired off on the second travel contraption?

Obscure question I know. But it's covid days, what else are you doing?
double aught
AG
To get the ring spinning?
Cancelled
AG
I thought that too, but it didn't look like it
West Point Aggie
AG
Why didn't dr miss smarty pants not say "I was gone for 18 hours" so that some physicist could have done the math? Instead they ruined the end with that senate hearing mess!
Let’s Go Brandon!
aTmAg
AG
queso1 said:

I thought that too, but it didn't look like it
I think he's right. Engineering-wise it would have been a bad idea, but that's what the show was trying to get across.
Cancelled
AG
Love this movie. My favorite part is when the seat breaks and everything becomes so calm. It illustrated our arrogance so well.
amercer
AG
Great movie and I think they tried to stay true to the book. By the time the movie came out though I think some of the philosophical antagonism between science and religion in the US had died down.

At this point the religious tension seems very much over the top, but it probably was realistic in the 70s.
aTmAg
AG
queso1 said:

Love this movie. My favorite part is when the seat breaks and everything becomes so calm. It illustrated our arrogance so well.
I thought it was great up until the senate hearing thing at the end. My brother had the book and I skipped to the end and I like that ending better. If I remember right, rather than one person going, there were several people. And they had meaningful conversations with the aliens. One question that was asked of the aliens was something to the effect of, "is there anything you don't know?" And the answer was yes. And one example was that Pi to the gazillionth decimal started having patterns. And they had no idea why or what the patterns meant.

I routinely mock Carl Sagan (because I think he's overrated) but if the rest of the book was as good as the part I read at the end, then I have to give him kudos as an author.
CajunAg97
AG

Loved this movie when I was at A&M....hated the ending though.
CyclingAg82
AG
queso1 said:

I just bought this movie on iTunes this week. Love the movie. Forgot how good Jodie Foster was / is as an actress.

Matthew McConaughey was good too.
TCTTS
AG
One of my top ten favorite movies of all time. Love, love, love this movie. I still need to read the book, though. Bought a copy a couple years ago and still haven't gotten around to it.
Tonyperkis
AG
Just watched this movie again and wanted to give this a bump. I've seen it countless times but it's so well done. Jodie Foster crushes it with her character and I feel like this was one of the early movies that showed that McConaughy could be taken seriously. Love William Fichtner's character as well. If you have any interest in sci-fi and/or philosophy, please make sure you watch this movie. It's just so good. It's streaming with ads on AMC right now.
deadhead aggie
AG
hunter2012
AG
Killer soundtrack too. Hadden was awesome. "1st rule of Government spending, why build 1 when you can have 2 for twice the price."

Tonyperkis
AG
Grea quote. Hadden is awesome
TCTTS
AG
hunter2012 said:

If I'm being completely honest, what I truly want in life is to be one of the guys hunting alien signals at this satellite facility - or - be one of the guys on the "good guy" crew in Twister. Wildly different jobs, I know, but very much the same energy/vibe. Hunting tornados or aliens, I don't care. I just want to let myself go, grow a ponytail, and track cool sh*t with bulky desktop computers in rural settings in the mid-'90s.
superunknown
AG
TCTTS said:

One of my top ten favorite movies of all time. Love, love, love this movie. I still need to read the book, though. Bought a copy a couple years ago and still haven't gotten around to it.

Would love to hear your take on the book vs movie. There's some discrepancies of course, and the movie condenses some characters, but overall I think the movie is a pretty good representation of the book.
jokershady
AG
deadhead aggie said:

this camera shot tripped me the hell out when I first saw it
Al Bula
AG
The alien signal sound from contact still give me goose bumps. The movie is great, but over the years I have grown tired of the dead dad trope. However that trope is scary at the same time, especially as a father.
Tonyperkis
AG
This scene is just incredible. The excitement of the characters just oozes from the screen. Exceptional work by Jodie.
Quad Dog
AG
I'm sure it is 95% boring nothing going on, but man that ~5% has to be awesome.
double aught
AG
TCTTS said:

hunter2012 said:

If I'm being completely honest, what I truly want in life is to be one of the guys hunting alien signals at this satellite facility - or - be one of the guys on the "good guy" crew in Twister. Wildly different jobs, I know, but very much the same energy/vibe. Hunting tornados or aliens, I don't care. I just want to let myself go, grow a ponytail, and track cool sh*t with bulky desktop computers in rural settings in the mid-'90s.
Computer monitors can definitely date a movie.
hunter2012
AG
Tonyperkis said:

Grea quote. Hadden is awesome
I'll be honest, if I accidentally trip into a billion dollar fortune someday I will totally live on an airplane. Hadden gave me that dream.
Civen
AG
aTmAg said:

queso1 said:

And the answer was yes. And one example was that Pi to the gazillionth decimal started having patterns. And they had no idea why or what the patterns meant.
it was a pattern of numbers that looked like a circle, and it was pi in base 30 or something like that.
BigC
AG
Which is one of the reasons I always felt Gene Roddenberry must have a great grasp on what the future will really look like.

It's centuries, not decades, in the future when we are actually doing space exploration. Images are just projected, no bulky CRT screens. There isn't money in a society where replicators exist.
TCTTS
AG
Random question...

Would you guys watch, say, an eight-part limited series Contact remake?

Part of me considers the idea sacrilege. But another part of me thinks it could be ripe for a modern-day adaptation/re-imagining, pulling even more form the book (which I still haven't read, for the record), but also infused with newer ideas/science/tech that we've learned/acquired in the past 25 years.

I've thought about the prospect a few times over the years, but I'm finally in a position now to MAYBE actually make something like this happen, should the stars align (no pun intended), with the backers and filmmakers I now have at my disposal, but it would all depend on the current rights situation.

Either way, curious as to the feelings here regarding even the prospect...
CajunAg97
AG
TCTTS said:

Random question...

Would you guys watch, say, an eight-part limited series Contact remake?

Part of me considers the idea sacrilege. But another part of me thinks it could be ripe for a modern-day adaptation/re-imagining, pulling even more form the book (which I still haven't read, for the record), but also infused with newer ideas/science/tech that we've learned/acquired in the past 25 years.

I've thought about the prospect a few times over the years, but I'm finally in a position now to MAYBE actually make something like this happen, should the stars align (no pun intended), with the backers and filmmakers I now have at my disposal, but it would all depend on the current rights situation.

Either way, curious as to the feelings here regarding even the prospect...
I definitely would, as would most sci-fi junkies i'm sure....
In my experience, there's no such thing as luck.
TCTTS
Quad Dog
AG
I'm not sure what a new adaptation would have to add. It's been a while since I read the book, but beyond the ending I don't remember a ton of differences.
I'd rather see something like Rendezvous With Rama instead.
TCTTS
AG
For what it's worth, I should add that I have a very specific take that would justify a modern re-imagining while keeping everything great about the story and characters perfectly intact. It's based on a scientific theory that's too much too get into here, but would fit with and enhance the themes of the story perfectly.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Haven't seen this in years, and I see it's streaming on Tubi.

I'll be watching this tonight.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
TCTTS said:

hunter2012 said:

Also reminds me of the dude who discovers the comet in Deep Impact, and the first guys to track the alien ship in ID4.

The 90's had a very specific scientist trope and I love it.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, yes. Even the old couple in Armageddon who discover the meteor. Not quite the same, but it looks like they live at an observatory, which would be equally awesome.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Interesting.

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/68241/why-film-contact-annoyed-bill-clinton
West Point Aggie
AG
Thanks to this thread rewatching it! Great flick!

Also RIP Arecibo :-(
Let’s Go Brandon!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.