My must see Christmas movies...one down

4,463 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Fslip01
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Made a list of twenty-five Christmas and Christmas-adjacent movies I love. Some are obvious, some are set at Christmas but not *about* Christmas, others have only a couple Christmas scenes each, and, in the case of The Lord of the Rings trilogy, have nothing to do with Christmas, but their releases became so synonymous with Christmas that they feel like Christmas movies to me. Going to try and knock out a good chunk of these next month, especially the ones I haven't seen in years...

3rd Generation Ag
AG
If your three year old can handle Beauty and the Beast, they can handle these. The second one is a little scary with a cat that attacks the reindeer sort of like the wolves in the forest.
pb488
AG
BoydCrowder13 said:

Watched Klaus on Netflix last night. Don't know how that movie slipped by me last year. A really great Christmas movie. Give it a shot.
seconded. klaus was very enjoyable for both kids and adults.
pdc093
Muppets, A Christmas Carol;
The Grinch (animated '60's version);
Charlie Brown Christmas;
White Christmas;
The Ref.
CrawfordAg
AG
Just rented Fatman to watch tonite even though the reviews were not that great.
goose91
AG
Holiday Inn

Holiday Inn IMDB link
Chipotlemonger
AG
Catch Me If You Can, great movie to include! Sneaky Christmas tie in there, but definitely meaningful to the movie and the story. Nice.
TCTTS
AG
Gomer95
AG
I went and saw Four Christmases in the theater and thought it was just ok but now it's one of my wife and I's favorites. We love it. I was watching it last night and afterwards Fred Claus came on and I had never seen it so I watched it and it was pretty solid as well. Jingle all the Way is funny too. All of these mentioned so far are good and I'll add:

The Homecoming - TV Movie that became The Waltons and stars most of the same cast as the tv show. It's great.
A Christmas Carol - several versions, Patrick Stewart (my favorite), George C. Scott (probably the best Scrooge and version), Alastair Sim (plays an amazing Scrooge), and Muppet Christmas Carol (Michael Caine plays the Scrooge part serious while the muppets all muppet out and it all works).
Christmas Chronicles - I reluctantly watched it last year and loved it. Haven't seen the 2nd one yet.
CharlieBrown17
AG
This thread needs more Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas
Gomer95
AG
I didn't include Emmet Otter in my post because it's not a movie but Emmet Otter is AWESOME!
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
It's a Wonderful Life - Wife's all time Classic favorite
Elf - how could modern(ish) Hollywood pull off such a great little Christmas movie?
Just Friends - New addition to Wife's favorites
The Ref (when the kids got older)
Back in the day the original animated Grinch was always the signal that Christmas has arrived.
MaxB
I love Christmas movies! A lot of films were mentioned, but I didn't find The Holiday here. As for cartoons, the last great cartoon I watched was Klaus. It is so kind and my son loved it.
AgBQ-00
AG
The only two must see Cristmas movies for me are Cristmas Story and Charlie Brown.

After that bonus views for me are cartoon Grinch, Cristmas Vacation and Die Hard
Communists aren't people. They are property of the state.
Philo B 93
Christmas Vacation is my only must see. The opening song is my personal Christmas Begins Theme.

I haven't seen The Ice Harvest mentioned. John Cusack, Billy Bib Thornton, and Randy Quade aka Cousin Eddie.

I watched Netflix's Movies that Made Us about Elf. Good episode, and I'll rewatch Elf because of it.
Garrelli 5000
AG
What were "must sees" sometimes are rotated now. Not due to burn out, just don't always make time.

Historically our must sees were:

A Christmas Story

Christmas Vacation

Trading Places

Snowball Express (not really Christmas movie but a fun Disney movie set in the winter)

Santa Clause - The Movie
This one is a lot of fun until John Lithgow's character becomes to prominent and it starts to leave the "magic" of Christmas behind. It is a good ?45? minutes or so until the movie turns to where I only finish it every other time or so.

Other greats -
Elf (almost if not yearly now - twice already this year)
Klaus (new to us that joined last year and will go in regular rotation)
The newest Grinch (love the animation)
Arthur Christmas we watched last year first time - I expect it in the rotation as well.
Love Actually
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer - old school Rankin/Bass version

Very rarely for nostalgia -
Babes in Toyland - loved this growing up but when I watch it now its really hard to hang on. Too much of the Little Bo Peep non-Disney childhood character stuff.
Take the trash out staff.
JABQ04
AG
Already knocked out "A Christmas Story" and "Christmas Vacation". Just gotta do Elf and I'm done.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Tanya 93 said:

Hallmark Channel
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
Blackstreet
AG
Eight Crazy Nights with many of the aforementioned.
Jackal99
AG
Anybody seen Noelle on Disney+? We just watched it and thought it was a pretty good movie.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
Noelle is on my to watch list. Is it safe for little ones who are still true believers?
Jackal99
AG
I think so. As far as I know, my son is still one of those (he's 7). He didn't raise any issues about it, but he's seen Elf and a few other movies like that and seems to know the difference. I can see how it might caught confusion for some, but doubtful. It's definitely safe in the sense of being family-friendly.
Fslip01
The Holidays Don't Start Without DieHard!

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.