Netflix's The Queen's Gambit-Review

25,714 Views | 180 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by Stat Monitor Repairman
Smokedraw01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What a great show. The plot was fairly predictable but I really enjoyed the writing of the characters. The Mom was unlikeable at times but then you really felt for her. Same with Elizabeth. Anya-Taylor Joy was so good.
goadius6
AG
wife wanted to start this over the weekend, i had not heard about it but ended up really enjoying it as well, more so than the wife i think. would recommend!
MookieBlaylock
AG
Enjoying it so far as this was one of the best scripts I have ever read. The show tackles the difficult sport of chess and making it interesting . Classic Orphan story and the music is sone of the best i have ever read on a limited series

Big Al 1992
AG
Loved Searching for Bobby Fisher. Is this anything like that when highlighting chess?
Smokedraw01
Big Al 1992 said:

Loved Searching for Bobby Fisher. Is this anything like that when highlighting chess?
It's been a while since I've seen SFBF but I enjoy the chess scenes in this show. Full disclosure, I know almost nothing about chess.
SquirrellyDan
AG
I started this today...wasn't paying attention and thought it was a stand-alone movie as opposed to a series. Enjoying it so far.
Spore Ag
Enjoyed the series. A good period piece as well as keeping nerds as nerds.
chick79
AG
Just finished tonight. Excellent!!
TCTTS
AG
Otherwise, great to hear all these reactions. Hoping to start it soon.
Average Joe
AG
I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was predictable in a few spots, but that didn't take away from the show at all.

Do they plan on making more seasons?
MookieBlaylock
AG
When it says limited series it is one season
The Milkman
AG
We just watched the first episode and really enjoyed it. My only annoyance is why does the girl do everything so slowly! Pick up the pace girly.
Average Joe
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

When it says limited series it is one season
Gotcha. Didn't realize that. I appreciate it.
spanky
AG
The Milkman said:

We just watched the first episode and really enjoyed it. My only annoyance is why does the girl do everything so slowly! Pick up the pace girly.

My guess would be the horse tranqs she's shoveling down
Teddy Perkins
AG
Loved this. Really well done. Only 7 episodes to keep the pacing tight.
birdman
Loved it. Terrific acting. The sets and atmosphere were world class. Perfect depiction of that era. Just an all around great series.

Are we talking about specific plots or scenes in here or giving people some time?
MookieBlaylock
AG
Finally finished it and this is one of the top ten series of the year.
The drummer kid from Love Actually is great and the lead actress makes me want to watch Chess

91_Aggie
AG
I didn't know David Spade had a kid..."Benny"
TCTTS
AG
It's been a week. I say spoilers are fair game at this point. And this is coming from someone who still hasn't seen it yet (but will soon).
MookieBlaylock
AG
The Lord has spoken
TCTTS
AG
I legit had a hunch you were going to follow up with something along these lines, and you didn't disappoint, in record time. I can't chime in or give an opinion around here without the resident snowflakes thinking it means I'm swinging my d*ck or asserting some kind of lame, message board authority.
MookieBlaylock
AG
TCTTS said:

I legit had a hunch you were going to follow up with something along these lines, and you didn't disappoint, in record time. I can't chime in or give an opinion around here without the resident snowflakes thinking it means I'm swinging my d*ck or asserting some kind of lame, message board authority.

But that is exactly what you did
TCTTS
AG
It was my two cents. My opinion. It wasn't a decree or meant to be some kind of deranged, authoritative ruling.
oragator
Finished it tonight, Can't quite figure out why I liked it as much as I did. It wasn't a unique story at its core, plenty of 60s period pieces are out there, plenty of "child prodigy from rough past makes good" stories etc...but it was just really well constructed. If you look at how they progressed her emotionally in the 7 episodes it was nearly perfect.

And I have to say:

when I found out she never paid Mr. Shaibel or went back to see him, that made me angry and broke my heart.

Smokedraw01
I enjoyed the writing of the characters. They weren't perfect people but they also weren't a complete cliche.
birdman
There were a couple of things in last episode or two that could have been awesome, but they missed slightly.

The scene where Beth plays chess with old man in park was good. It would have been less obvious if she just took a walk on day off in middle of the tournament. Then she could stumble on them and realize her joy in playing chess and how much the Soviets and chess fans loved her. Simple

It was unnecessary to have Mr. Schaibel pass away. She and her friend could have visited the school for ten easier reasons. She had mostly conquered her demons and done right by the people in her life.

The last scene should have been Mr. Schaibel receiving a package. It's got $10 and the king from her World Championship victory.
Hogties
AG
I agree with your suggestions for improvement of an already fantastic show.

Really enjoyed the acting and the set design. Very well done. Watched it over three nights. The acting was outstanding I thought.
DVC2010
AG
birdman said:

There were a couple of things in last episode or two that could have been awesome, but they missed slightly.

The scene where Beth plays chess with old man in park was good. It would have been less obvious if she just took a walk on day off in middle of the tournament. Then she could stumble on them and realize her joy in playing chess and how much the Soviets and chess fans loved her. Simple

It was unnecessary to have Mr. Schaibel pass away. She and her friend could have visited the school for ten easier reasons. She had mostly conquered her demons and done right by the people in her life.

The last scene should have been Mr. Schaibel receiving a package. It's got $10 and the king from her World Championship victory.

I disagree with your second point. I think it's important that her decisions actually cost her something. She kicks the substance addictions almost instantly, so I think it's important that the audience sees some scars

Your suggestion would have made me happier, but I think it would have made the show worse.
javajaws
AG
I binge watched this in 2 nights. I'm a sucker for a rags to riches type story, more so when it's not mixed in with some fairy tale love bs. I liked how they talked about the cooperation of the Russians vs the competition of the Americans without going all over the top with fake conflict. Definitely one of the best series of the year for me, if not the best. Sad to see it as only a single season, but I don't think it would be as enjoyable much beyond that. I'd like to see more in this same style with different subject matter.
rgt99
Starting watching it tonight, really enjoying it so far. Amazing acting, great set, great soundtrack very fitting to the movie
mazag08
AG
Would have never thought twice and passed quickly on this. But wife put it on and I kept looking up from Texags and finally realized it was just a really well done show that somehow had me watching intently. Really enjoyed it.
aTmAg
AG
Is it based on a true story?
Seaaggie1144

The Queen's Gambit is a fictional story that follows the life of an orphan chess prodigy named Beth Harmon from the age of eight to twenty-two during her quest to become the world's greatest chess player while struggling with emotional issues and with drug and alcohol dependency.
rynning
AG
I almost gave up after the first episode, but it sets the background for the rest. Very stylistic depiction of the 50s (which I haven't seen anywhere for a while) but certainly doesn't glorify it. I was surprised that other than the drugs, they didn't include any other forms of abuse at an orphanage. Not perfect, but not horrible either.
mazag08
AG
rynning said:

I almost gave up after the first episode, but it sets the background for the rest. Very stylistic depiction of the 50s (which I haven't seen anywhere for a while) but certainly doesn't glorify it. I was surprised that other than the drugs, they didn't include any other forms of abuse at an orphanage. Not perfect, but not horrible either.

It seemed like they were purposefully trying to avoid the typical orphanage / boarding school tropes. I appreciated their depiction.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.