Director showdown: David Fincher vs James Cameron

4,979 Views | 85 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Saw this debate being had elsewhere on the interwebs and thought it would make for a great topic for this board.

Now these are two of my favorite directors, and Fincher has been amazing for the last 10 years or so. Cameron has obviously not done anything since Avatar, but he might have the best filmography of the 80s/90s of anyone not named Spielberg or Lucas.

So, question is, who do your prefer? And optional portion: list your top 5 movies for each director.

My pick is James Cameron, for the simple fact that Titanic and Terminator 2 are some of my favorite movies ever. Add in the fact that he made True Lies and that puts him a hair over Fincher fo me.

Fincher top 5:
1. Fight Club
2. The Social Network
3. Gone Girl
4. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
5. Seven

Cameron top 5:
1. Titanic
2. Terminator 2
3. Avatar
4. True Lies
5. The Terminator
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Related:

Aliens >>>>>>>>> Alien 3
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I suck at associating directors with films, had no idea what Fincher's resume looked like.

Fincher
1. The Social Network
2. Fight Club
3. Seven
4. Zodiac
5. Gone Girl
999999. Benjamin Button

Cameron
1, Terminator 2: Judgement Day
2. The Terminator
3. Aliens
4. True Lies
5. Aliens
rhutton125
AG
Cameron all day
fig96
AG
I love Fincher's visual style, but as a storyteller Cameron gets my vote.

Fincher:

1. The Game
2. Se7en
3. Fight Club
4. Zodiac
5. The Social Network

Cameron
1. T2
2. Aliens
3. True Lies
4. The Abyss
5. Avatar
fig96
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Related:

Aliens >>>>>>>>> Alien 3

/ thread
Mr President Elect
AG
Was really shocked to see the social network above fight club and seven on people's list. Pulled up a ranking of Fincher's movies and see they (well at least some random website with a high google listing) has it as number one as well.
TCTTS
AG
Zodiac and The Social Network are two all-time top ten movies for me. Fight Club is at least top twenty. Seven and Gone Girl are of course incredible as well.

Fincher is probably my all-time favorite director, next to peak Cameron Crowe.

James Cameron is a cinema god, no doubt, I love his films (yes, even Avatar), and I agree with fig96 that, on a certain level, Cameron is probably a better storyteller than Fincher. But I still have to give the edge to Fincher, if only because A) beginning in the late '80s/early '90s, Fincher, Ridley Scott, and Tony Scott, essentially defined the way modern movies, commercials, and music videos look to this day, and B) Fincher is simply more my style/tone overall.
Max Power
AG

Fincher has been my guy since Se7en, I don't have anything bad to say about Cameron, but they are apples and oranges to me. Cameron is the king of spectacle, Fincher is the king of mood. Cameron is a fancy meal, I plan for it, enjoy it when it's there, don't want it often, it's a rare treat. Fincher is a taco, something I will gladly eat everyday in a different way, something I'll never tire of. Cameron is a summer fling, great while it lasts before you get back to our regular life. Fincher is a good wife, you know her, she knows you, you've been through thick and thin, and you're still together, you're a team. I can turn off my brain and enjoy watching Cameron, Fincher activates every part of my brain, I don't want to miss anything.
TCTTS
AG
Amen.
YouBet
AG
I've never seen Zodiac or The Social Network so probably can't weigh in here. Cameron would win based on what I've seen on here.

I don't understand how Spilner can put Titanic above Terminator 2 which is insane in and of itself, but maybe that's another thread.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Social Network is Fincher's #1 for me because by all rights it should be incredibly dull - two nerds light-years smarter than me make a website. That's it. When it came out, the only person I knew in the cast was frigging Justin Timberlake. Yet that movie is must-watch anytime I see it on, no matter what part is on. Arnie Hammer in particular is phenomenal playing the Winklevoss twins. I read the book a couple of years ago and the movie is infinitely better, which I'm not sure I've ever said. S7even and fight club are amazing, but they should be amazing, especially stacking those casts against the social network.

Bruce Almighty
AG
My top 10 from the two:

1. The Abyss
2. Aliens
3. Terminator
4. Seven
5. T2
6. Titanic
7. Fight Club
8. True Lies
9. Avatar
10. Gone Girl

Looks like Cameron wins
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's several things.

1. It was THE "event movie" of my childhood, like Star Wars was for the 70s kids.
2. My first pair of movie boobs.
3. The entire second half of the movie is what kept me coming back. Just superb filmmaking that gets overlooked due to the love story.
4. Loved James Horner's score and it was the first movie soundtrack I remember buying on CD. (Both the original and the "Back to Titanic" that was made after the first one sold so well.)
5. The guy hitting the propeller on the way down.
YouBet
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

It's several things.

1. It was THE "event movie" of my childhood, like Star Wars was for the 70s kids.
2. My first pair of movie boobs.
3. The entire second half of the movie is what kept me coming back. Just superb filmmaking that gets overlooked due to the love story.
4. Loved James Horner's score and it was the first movie soundtrack I remember buying on CD. (Both the original and the "Back to Titanic" that was made after the first one sold so well.)
5. The guy hitting the propeller on the way down.
Probably need to give it a rewatch. I haven't actually seen it since it came out.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Outside of Alien 3 and Seven, I don't recall seeing any of Fincher's movies.

I've seen everything Cameron has made, so clearly Cameron would win this matchup.

Fincher:
1. Seven
2. Alien 3

Cameron:
1. Aliens
2. True Lies
3. Terminator 2: Judgment Day
4. The Terminator
5. The Abyss

Alien 3 was one of most disappointing movies I've ever seen. The first trailer I ever saw for it was, interestingly enough, attached to Terminator 2 in the summer of '91, and featured the alien egg from the first movie's ad campaign in orbit over Earth. Yet we ended up with a movie that never showed Earth, but rather was set on a prison planet infested with lice. As a stand-alone film, it was a good enough movie, but when viewed in the larger context as a follow-up to Aliens, it fails. It was visually well done, but then again, no Alien movie has ever wanted for anything in that department. But what really aggravated me was a quote from Fincher himself, in response to criticisms of his movie, that he made the movie for himself, not fans of the previous installments, which I translated as a **** you, I don't care what you think, this is what I want kind of attitude. Which is fine, but off-putting.

edit - on Cameron, I've loved his early work, but once he started injecting his politics into his movies, I've soured on him. Politics such as the "not the better half" line from Titanic, or essentially claiming all of humanity is awful in Avatar.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I'll say this about Fincher: while I don't connect with every movie he makes, no director in modern Hollywood is better at creating a cinematic atmosphere.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The hero of Avatar was a human though, so...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Agreed. I don't even know if he uses the same cinematographer, but I can instantly tell when it's a Fincher movie.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

The hero of Avatar was a human though, so...
... who wanted to be a blue thing
Bruce Almighty
AG
Alien 3 was a big step down from the first two, but I still enjoyed it. I'd place it third in the franchise.
fig96
AG
I've very recently rewatched. It is definitely not third
fig96
AG
Totally respect that opinion.

I could even argue that Fincher is the better director, Cameron just has several of my favorites and I lean more towards sci-fi/action than the genres that Fincher tends to work in. They're really just very different directors.
MadDog99
AG
If you haven't seen Zodiac, do yourself a favor and watch it soon. One of my all-time favorites.
YouBet
AG
Boyd Crowder said:

If you haven't seen Zodiac, do yourself a favor and watch it soon. One of my all-time favorites.
I've never even heard of it. Was it under the radar?
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I think it was RDJ's last role before he blew up in Ironman, and ironically starts two other Marvel actors - Ruffalo and Gylenhall.

It had a pretty ****ty release date in terms of what you'd expect from a big cool movie (March 2, 2007).I know 300 came out right around then, but not sure what else.

The title didn't really tell you anything if you didn't already know what it was, and the star power was pretty meh - RDJ was a has-been, Glyenhall was that guy from Brokeback Mountain, and not to sound pitiful, but the only thing I had seen Ruffalo in was "13 Going on 30". I saw it on cable a few years later late one night and couldn't believe I had missed in at the movie theater.
SJEAg
AG
"The Game" getting no love, and it's one of my favorite Fincher movies. And I know "Panic Room" is not his most well regarded, but I find it thoroughly entertaining.

These are probably the only two directors that I'll see the movie on their name alone (although Avatar 2+ might test this). Not even Spielberg or Scorcese make that list for me.
Bruce Almighty
AG
James Cameron is the only director where I can say I've enjoyed every film he's made (I don't count Piranha 2).
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

Not even Spielberg or Scorcese make that list for me.
This is true for me as well. There's a good number for both that I haven't seen. (Lincoln, Hugo, etc.)

Pretty sure only the following directors get automatic watches from me:
Cameron
Nolan
Tarantino
Fincher (Though to a lesser extent than the above)
YouBet
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

This is true for me as well. There's a good number for both that I haven't seen. (Lincoln, Hugo, etc.)

Cameron
Nolan
Tarantino
I'm schizo on Tarantino. I either seem to love his movies or hate them.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
YouBet said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

Cameron
Nolan
Tarantino
Man, I'm the same way with Tarantino. I loved Pulp Fiction and Inglorious Basterds, everything else feels like a few great scenes and a bunch of stuff thrown at the wall.
YouBet
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

YouBet said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quote:

Cameron
Nolan
Tarantino
Man, I'm the same way with Tarantino. I loved Pulp Fiction and Inglorious Basterds, everything else feels like a few great scenes and a bunch of stuff thrown at the wall.
Yep.
fig96
AG
SJEAg said:

"The Game" getting no love, and it's one of my favorite Fincher movies. And I know "Panic Room" is not his most well regarded, but I find it thoroughly entertaining.

These are probably the only two directors that I'll see the movie on their name alone (although Avatar 2+ might test this). Not even Spielberg or Scorcese make that list for me.
Check my list

But you're right, it's a holy crap what's happening here kinda movie that keeps you guessing all the way through and a lot of people have forgotten about it.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
MadDog99
AG
Not really under the radar but not a blockbuster by any means. Made $85 million at the box office and the cast is outstanding (RDJ, Gyllenhaal, Ruffalo, Mulroney, Edwards, Logue, Sevigny, Cox).
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.