***** BEST MOVIES 2000-2009 TOURNAMENT *****

26,905 Views | 392 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Fat Bib Fortuna
jkag89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MuckRaker96 said:

If The Muppet Movie isn't seeded appropriately in this bracket, I will burn TexAgs to the ground.
Good news it made the cut. Bad news. we need to get the fire extinguishers ready because you'll probably not like the seed. Seeded against a film that has a good chance to be in the Final Four.
jkag89
Quote:

How many here saw ALL of these box office champs for 75-79 in the theater - besides me?

75 Jaws
76 Rocky
77 Star Wars
78 Grease
79 Moonraker
Me, although I don't think I saw Jaws in '75, I did however see it a couple of times in the theater. Back before VHS became common, studios would often re-release very popular films a couple of years later.
jkag89
MuckRaker96 said:

jkag89 said:

jm94 said:

Yeah, a 70's bracket is going to be bunch of old people like me voting on movies they've seen, and whippersnappers* who haven't.

* aka low-information voters

My biggest worry is there not enough olds or film buffs to get good poll results in the early balloting. I included links to film trailers to help the whippersnappers. I think even the youngins will have seen the top seeds of most of the brackets accept maybe Drama.. In other words, whether they have seen a good number of these films or not I do not think it going to effect too much the eventual winner of each bracket.
if you're using Google Forms, don't make the questions mandatory. That lets people not have to vote for matchups they don't have an opinion on.
Selected that option.
Fat Bib Fortuna
jkag89 said:

MuckRaker96 said:

If The Muppet Movie isn't seeded appropriately in this bracket, I will burn TexAgs to the ground.
Good news it made the cut. Bad news. we need to get the fire extinguishers ready because you'll probably not like the seed. Seeded against a film that has a good chance to be in the Final Four.
Need to flex it out to 256 seeds then!
jkag89
It made a 64 film field, that isn't good enough?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

Deep enough for a bracket. And YUh8 Peter Sellers?
i love peter sellers. you didn't list any peter sellers movies...

he only made a few in the 70s like 2 pink panthers and being there.

my favorite comedy of all time is probably Dr. Strangelove. Huge Sellers and Kubrick fan.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I tried creating a best album 60s-90s tournament and quickly realized that 256 wasn't enough.
Fat Bib Fortuna
jkag89 said:

This is TexAgs, you could have a field of every movie ever and someone would get pissed about a short film they made in high school not being on there.
Fat Bib Fortuna
Bruce Almighty said:

I tried creating a best album 60s-90s tournament and quickly realized that 256 wasn't enough.
Trying to do the MCU best moments is headed in that direction. SPoiler alert, I'm nowhere close to finishing it.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
jkag89 said:

Quote:

How many here saw ALL of these box office champs for 75-79 in the theater - besides me?

75 Jaws
76 Rocky
77 Star Wars
78 Grease
79 Moonraker
Me, although I don't think I saw Jaws in '75, I did however see it a couple of times in the theater. Back before VHS became common, studios would often re-release very popular films a couple of years later.

oh yeah. saw Star Wars like 20+ times in the theater just from May 77 thru summer 78....not even counting re-releases.

it ran continuously for a year or more, on our military base theater it ran as a weekend matinee. i spent many Saturday's over the next year watching it again and again. tickets were .75 and a coke and popcorn was another .75. So 1.50 for 2 hours of pure joy.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

yeah thats why i like the genre best of the best small bracket from the final fours. 70s-00s though.

jkag89
MuckRaker96 said:

jkag89 said:

This is TexAgs, you could have a field of every movie ever and someone would get pissed about a short film they made in high school not being on there.
I understand. Still decided to keep it to 4 brackets. 16 films each. As it is, this is going to be the reaction to many of the films by the whippersnappers of the EB . Maybe later I'll do an NIT bracket for those teams that missed the cut. Do you want The Muppet Movie to make the Dance, or be relegated to the NIT?
Ol Jock 99
AG
Is it better to win the NIT than get knocked out of the dance early?
jkag89
I don't think I saw Star Wars in the theatre that often, maybe 10 times. The Empire Strikes Back on the other hand, at least 25+, Close Encounters at least 15+.
Fat Bib Fortuna
jkag89 said:

MuckRaker96 said:

jkag89 said:

I understand. Still decided to keep it to 4 brackets. 16 films each. As it is, this is going to be the reaction to many of the films by the whippersnappers of the EB . Maybe later I'll do an NIT bracket for those teams that missed the cut. Do you want The Muppet Movie to make the Dance, or be relegated to the NIT?
I want the Muppet Movie with the #2 seed it deserves.
Fat Bib Fortuna
jkag89 said:

I don't think I saw Star Wars in the theatre that often, maybe 10 times. The Empire Strikes Back on the other hand, at least 25+, Close Encounters at least 15+.
My dad worked on an oil tanker back then and had to report back to work (3 months at a time) on June 25. He took my brother and I to see Star Wars 7 times in 3 weeks to make up for it.
Fat Bib Fortuna
The Final Final of Finals

Gold Medal: 48.1% of the vote

Silver Medal: 30.4% of the vote

Bronze Medal: 22.5% of the vote

Going to be a while until I get the MCU thing going, too much work and a really effed up day today. Might do some more of these one-offs if you guys are game.

jkag89
MuckRaker96 said:

jkag89 said:

MuckRaker96 said:

jkag89 said:

I want the Muppet Movie with the #2 seed it deserves.
Sorry. As you will see, I felt I had to defend its inclusion in the first place. As much as I love me some Muppets, The Muppet Movie isn't going to be the #2 seed nor deserves such a high seed. In other words when it comes to the comedies of the '70s, Zombie Jon Snow "knows nothing,." in that there was a very strong field of films in which to pick. . I even moved Smokey and the Bandit from Comedy to Action/Thriller to give it a decent seed. I guess I could find a way to seed The Muppet Movie higher but I don't think it it will change its fate much.
Fat Bib Fortuna
Dude if you're going to feel bad about every seed before you even release the bracket, you're not going to make it through the weekend. My life will go on without The Muppet Movie having a high seed; I'm just busting your balls.
Mayor West
AG
Muck, appreciate these and I know you get a lot of "but what about..." responses questioning your decisions, but as I was watching Seven last night I was wondering if you've considered a horror genre one.
fig96
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

jkag89 said:

Birth of a Suburb was locally nominated for at least one very minor award, thank you very much.
Fat Bib Fortuna
Mayor West said:

Muck, appreciate these and I know you get a lot of "but what about..." responses questioning your decisions, but as I was watching Seven last night I was wondering if you've considered a horror genre one.
I think Seven is awesome, but I'm not a horror guy, so I wouldn't be a good judge of what should be seeded where. I don't think I've seen any horror movies more than once.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I wouldn't count Seven as a horror movie.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

To me it's just in the Thriller subset of the overall Horror/Thriller universe. But agreed that a bracket of this Horror/Thriller genre could be fun, if someone feels knowledgeable enough to do it.

I watched the original Wicker Man a couple weeks ago. Trippy and a neat old horror flick.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

yeah more like suspense/thriller - same as Silence of the Lambs.

And both were in the drama category of the 90s.

When I think horror I think more slasher flicks, occult, ghosts, zombies, possession, or miscellaneous Stephen King (non prison movies).

I doubt there would be enough really good horror movies in any decade to justify it's own bracket. But maybe an all encompassing horror tournament across decades.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Both Seven and Silence belong in thriller for sure.

For horror, the best of the 90's is Scream. Not really debatable. It had the largest impact on popular culture (and the horror/slasher genre, which was essentially dead at this point), was well-received by both critics and audiences, and was a surprise smash hit.

Blair Witch Project is the only movie which could even give it a run for its money.

IMO.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I think you shouldn't break it down by decades. It should be by subset. Maybe these 4?

Slasher
Thriller
Paranormal
Psychological
Chipotlemonger
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

I think you shouldn't break it down by decades. It should be by subset. Maybe these 4?

Slasher
Thriller
Paranormal
Psychological
...I actually may try putting together a bracket for this. Anyone interested? Does this breakdown seem logical?
Fat Bib Fortuna
Chipotlemonger said:

Slasher
Thriller
Paranormal
Psychological
I already have the #1 seed for you.

Chipotlemonger
AG
What's that? Also, I realized that Zombies is another subset...I may just lump that in with paranormal. Really depends on how the list builds.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Slasher
Thriller
Paranormal
Psychological

imho - leave thriller out those are just high suspense drama movies
And I can think of many that don't fit those 4 categories.
I came up with 6 main subgenres, well 5 and "other" with some examples:

Slasher - freddie, halloween and friday the 13th
Paranormal - Conjuring, Amityville, Poltergeist, Insidious, The Ring, Exorcist
Psychological - Misery, The Shining, Split
Monster/Creature (zombie, ghost, vampire) - Cujo, Dracula, Frankenstein, Interview with the Vampire, Night of the Living Dead
Comedy/Spoof - Scream, Creepshow, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, Young Frankenstein
*Other (found footage, inanimate object, curse) - Blair Witch, Chucky, The Grudge

*unless you want to just call "other" - " thriller" and throw anything in there that doesn't ft the other 5. But the monster and comedy ones seem to need their own genre for sure.

Do the way Muck did the 2000s with 6 categories and then a 3 way vote semifinal on each side of the bracket to determine the final four.

imho
Chipotlemonger
AG
Cool thanks for the input, I appreciate it. Okay y'all I'm officially doing it, will make a new thread for it at some point..
fig96
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

What's that? Also, I realized that Zombies is another subset...I may just lump that in with paranormal. Really depends on how the list builds.
Heck, we could probably do a whole Zombie bracket.
caleblyn
Best horror movie I ever watched was one that some might not rank too high..."The Ring."

Here is the reason, a bunch of us married friends, before kids, decided to go watch it, but we decided to go to a movie theater where the majority of the watchers would be of the African ethnicity. When that girl started climbing through the tv, the place went BONKERS! Everyone was screaming at the top of their lungs, there were people running out of the theater. A big lady was climbing over people to get out. It was scary and super funny all at the same time. Best movie experience ever!
Fat Bib Fortuna
The scariest movie I have ever seen was Ghosts of Girlfriends Past for two reasons 1) I thought it was never going to be over and 2) the movie tried to make me think that someone who looks like

Breckin Meyer

could marry someone who looks like Lacy Chabert

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.