***** BEST MOVIES 2000-2009 TOURNAMENT *****

26,902 Views | 392 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Fat Bib Fortuna
Fat Bib Fortuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Rogue One came out in a different decade than The Dark Knight and Gladiator.
Bruce Almighty
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Rogue One came out in a different decade than The Dark Knight and Gladiator.

Sorry, it was best movie 2000-2020
Fat Bib Fortuna
Well then Gladiator didn't really beat Dark Knight. It beat Rogue One and Rogue One beat Dark Knight. Not really the same.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Yea, that's like saying the Rockets beat the Bulls for both of their Championships.
Fat Bib Fortuna
It's more like Hilary beating Bernie for the Dem nomination, then Trump beating Hilary. It's entirely likely that Bernie might have beaten Trump, but we'll never know. Ask whoever ran the other competition if the remembers the percentages. I never voted in that one.
caleblyn
MuckRaker96 said:

Bonus Round!

Tournament of Champions - VOTE NOW

1980s: The Empire Strikes Back
1990s: Jurassic Park
2000s: The Dark Knight
Tough decision. My mood changes, tehrefore, my decision would change with these three. I voted based on which one would I watch all the way to the end if I were channel surfing at this present moment at 10:00 am, July 1, 2020.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I wonder if Fellowship of the Ring could've edged out Gladiator.
Fat Bib Fortuna
bonus round is currently 37%-33%-30%
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

EDIT - replied off previous page didn't see others responded already.

Actually it was a 20 year period - and Rogue One which was in 2016 beat The Dark Knight.

Gladiator then beat Rogue One.

Interesting but obviously would have been Dark Knight vs Gladiator if it was just 2000-09.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
caleblyn said:

MuckRaker96 said:

Bonus Round!

Tournament of Champions - VOTE NOW

1980s: The Empire Strikes Back
1990s: Jurassic Park
2000s: The Dark Knight
Tough decision. My mood changes, tehrefore, my decision would change with these three. I voted based on which one would I watch all the way to the end if I were channel surfing at this present moment at 10:00 am, July 1, 2020.

Muck: I know I know....do it myself.

Just thinking I would maybe like to see a super tourney with a final four by genre per decade and reseeded by genre. So the final would be the 4 genre winners across those decades.

Might have to do the 70s and 80s movie brackets first although some are easy to predict for the genre winner, but the 80s is tough in some genres.

So my guesses have an astersik* this is just to see what it might look like.

comedy:
70s Animal House or Blazing Saddles*
80s Airplane or Caddyshack or Vacation or Ferris Bueller's Day Off*
90s Office Space
00s Hangover

drama:
70s Godfather*
80s Rain Man (can't think of another)*
90s Shawshank Redemption
00s Gladiator

sci-fi fantasy
70s Star Wars*
80s Empire Strikes Back*
90s Jurassic Park
00s LOTR III

action
70s Jaws or Rocky*
80s Top Gun or Raiders of the Lost Ark or Back to the Future*
90s Tombstone
00s The Dark Knight

Fat Bib Fortuna
Zombie Jon Snow said:

action
70s Jaws or Rocky*

Who wins a 12-round heavyweight fight between Jaws and Rocky?

First time it's at Caesar's Palace
Second time it's in the Atlantic Ocean
Third time it's held in zero gravity.
Fat Bib Fortuna
Bonus round now sitting at 38.2%-38.2%-23.6%
jkag89
I have a The Best Films of the 70's Tournament ready to go. I did not want to start it while the MuckRaker's 2000's Tourney was still in progress. Probably start the Tournament Friday morning and allow voting to go through the weekend.
Fat Bib Fortuna
jkag89 said:

I have a The Best Films of the 70's Tournament ready to go. I did not want to start it while the MuckRaker's 2000's Tourney was still in progress. Probably start the Tournament Friday morning and allow voting to go through the weekend.
Sweet, I can't wait to tell you how ****ty your seeding is!
Fat Bib Fortuna
While I was getting tested for the coronavirus, the movie that has been in 2nd place most of the day has taken over first place. %s are now 43%-34%-23%
jkag89
MuckRaker96 said:

jkag89 said:

I'm ready. Probably going to get the most grief over the Comedy Bracket. I have tried to anticipate seeding complaints and have an explanation for each bracket and also a list of films that were considered but didn't make the cut. Still I'm sure I will have forgotten someone's favorite/
Fat Bib Fortuna
That's your first mistake. **** everyone else's opinions, you're the one who did all the work. Honestly, I'm not sure I've seen that many movies from the 70s, I was born in 74.
jm94
AG
Yeah, a 70's bracket is going to be bunch of old people like me voting on movies they've seen, and whippersnappers* who haven't.

* aka low-information voters
jkag89
I felt it might help if I gave a little of my thought process in putting together the brackets. We'll see. However, you're right, the one that takes the time to put it together has the right to seed and include the films that they want.
jm94
AG
The more you explain, the more ammunition you give the critics.
jkag89
jm94 said:

Yeah, a 70's bracket is going to be bunch of old people like me voting on movies they've seen, and whippersnappers* who haven't.

My biggest worry is there not enough olds or film buffs to get good poll results in the early balloting. I included links to film trailers to help the whippersnappers. I think even the youngins will have seen the top seeds of most of the brackets accept maybe Drama.. In other words, whether they have seen a good number of these films or not I do not think it going to effect too much the eventual winner of each bracket.
jkag89
jm94 said:

The more you explain, the more ammunition you give the critics.
Oh well. if it sparks some interesting post, all the better
Fat Bib Fortuna
jkag89 said:

jm94 said:

My biggest worry is there not enough olds or film buffs to get good poll results in the early balloting. I included links to film trailers to help the whippersnappers. I think even the youngins will have seen the top seeds of most of the brackets accept maybe Drama.. In other words, whether they have seen a good number of these films or not I do not think it going to effect too much the eventual winner of each bracket.
if you're using Google Forms, don't make the questions mandatory. That lets people not have to vote for matchups they don't have an opinion on.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I'm going out on a limb, the final will be Godfather vs Star Wars.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
jkag89 said:

MuckRaker96 said:

jkag89 said:

I'm ready. Probably going to get the most grief over the Comedy Bracket. I have tried to anticipate seeding complaints and have an explanation for each bracket and also a list of films that were considered but didn't make the cut. Still I'm sure I will have forgotten someone's favorite/

Just don't leave out any Mel Gibson flicks and we are good - oh wait in the 70s - just Mad Max then.

Comedy would be tough for the 70s.... not a deep comedy era.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

I'm going out on a limb, the final will be Godfather vs Star Wars.
what if they face off in a semifinal?

how about comedy and action?

much harder to predict those. I'd go with Animal House and Jaws. But I could see Blazing Saddles and Rocky too as I mentioned in my proposed super bracket.

I'm definitely less sure about the 70s though. I was alive and saw plenty of 70s movies but I'm just not sure how the Texags demographic will vote.

How many here saw ALL of these box office champs for 75-79 in the theater - besides me?

75 Jaws
76 Rocky
77 Star Wars
78 Grease
79 Moonraker

PS I was only 9 in 1975 but my parents took me to Jaws and it was rated PG somehow???? - it was a huge phenomenon. That said I spent 30% of the movie on the floor under my chair.

Obviously I did not see Godfather in theaters I would have been 6 at the time. I did see Towering Inferno (the 1974 top film) on HBO (did not know that that was until then) in a high rise hotel we stayed in San Fran before flying to Korea (dad was stationed there) in the summer of 75.

Those first three especially really ushered in the era of the summer blockbuster / popcorn movies. Should be fun.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Quote:

Blazing Saddles
The Jerk
Holy Grail
Smokey and the Bandit
Animal House
Life of Brian
Young Frankenstein
Murder by Death
Mash
Every Which Way But Loose

Plenty more.
Fat Bib Fortuna
Travolta should have his own bracket.

Fairview
AG
Face Off could have a second chance!
Bruce Almighty
AG
If Star Wars and Godfather faced off against each other in the semifinals, that would be a mistake with the person making the bracket. Those would be the two favorites and should be on opposite sides.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

Quote:

Blazing Saddles
The Jerk
Holy Grail
Smokey and the Bandit
Animal House
Life of Brian
Young Frankenstein
Murder by Death
Mash

Plenty more.

I think you proved my point. Not much depth there. I've never even heard of Murder by Death and that's in your list of the best? And some of those are meh at best.

for example the 80s has about 50 really good ones by comparison.
I can list 20 better than almost all of those. Only the top 5 even compare to most of these.

Airplane
Caddyshack
Ferris
Stripes
Beetlejuice
Vacation
Big
Sixteen Candles
Breakfast Club
Fast Times
Good Morning Vietnam
Trading Places
Coming to America
Beverly Hills Cop
Heathers
Ghostbusters
Blues Brothers
Weird Science
Major League
Uncle Buck
Police Academy
Real Genius
Three Amigos
Ol Jock 99
AG
Deep enough for a bracket. And YUh8 Peter Sellers?
Fat Bib Fortuna
If The Muppet Movie isn't seeded appropriately in this bracket, I will burn TexAgs to the ground.
jkag89
Ol Jock 99 said:

Quote:

Blazing Saddles
The Jerk
Holy Grail
Smokey and the Bandit
Animal House
Life of Brian
Young Frankenstein
Murder by Death
Mash

Plenty more.
Well I know Ol Jock will be upset by some of my comedy selections, although every film listed got serious consideration.. For me it was the hardest bracket not only to seed but select films.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.