Any banjo pickers out there?

1,517 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by deadhead aggie
deadhead aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I broke-out the old Washburn 5-string a few weeks ago. Had to wipe off about a decade's worth of dust. Starting all over from square one. Developed some poor playing habits and set some unachievable targets the first time around. Going into it with a different mindset this time.

Was looking at a few tutorial videos and came across this one! Need to find this guy.

Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Banjo Ben is great.

deadhead aggie
AG
^
Wow.

Gotta be honest, I came across that one tutorial video of his and didn't research him beyond that. I just looked at his webpage.......dude can play some instruments. Lots of good tutorials there, too. Many thanks.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
deadhead aggie said:

^
Wow.

Gotta be honest, I came across that one tutorial video of his and didn't research him beyond that. I just looked at his webpage.......dude can play some instruments. Lots of good tutorials there, too. Many thanks.

He was in one of the Squadron outfits in the corps, can't remember which one.
Sazerac
AG
Pretty sure this will be my mid life crisis hobby
CharlieBrown17
AG
Champ Bailey said:

deadhead aggie said:

^
Wow.

He was in one of the Squadron outfits in the corps, can't remember which one.

Probably 17 based on the Jerry Don Self tribute at the end.
Counterpoint
AG
How does learning to play the banjo compare in difficulty to other string instruments?
(Obviously more difficult than the uke, but what about guitar and bass, especially?)

Philip J Fry
AG
Have a banjo. Don't know how to play it.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG

One of the greatest banjo pickers out there. For the uninitiated, yes that is Steve Martin and he is a legitimate master banjo picker.
MTAggie
AG
My wife got me a banjo a couple of years ago. Not sure why as I'm pretty much a novice guitar guy. Still, I have *****ed it up and put it down. I love that this guy has guitar, banjo and mandolin lessons - all three instruments I'd love to make to novice level before I die. I'm gonna have to try it out.

(OK, I meant to type "picked it up," but I typed "*****ed it up," which is also very accurate. I was wondering what the ****** were for and wondered "picked" is censored?)

Philo B 93
I play guitar, and I like the banjo, but it's such a niche instrument that I was never interested in learning. When it's used right, it adds a lot to a song. It also creates a great mood when used as a solo instrument. But it's hard to play the blues on a banjo.
Bird Poo
AG
Go to 3:28 on his video. He's a good ag.
rednecked
AG
I like Banjo Ben a lot. His lessons are quality. I've played around with several of his guitar and mandolin lessons. Never tried the banjo. the nice thing about his site is, if you get a subscription you can download and save the lessons. I've got a ton of them saved for when I have some time to get back to playing.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG

deadhead aggie
AG

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.