*** TOM CRUISE GOES TO SPACE ***

5,450 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TCTTS
bearamedic99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nope. It's a Remo Williams sequel
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Knowing Cruise, they're going to have it blocked and rehearsed down to the second, and I could see them using those parabolic flights or something similar for practice. Still, I can't imagine the pressure to get this right, especially with that insane price tag. Wow. This is so crazy, but so damn cool.
TCTTS
AG
Speaking of, the behind-the-scenes documentary alone is going to be incredible, never mind all the real-time news coverage in the lead-up to the launch, etc. I can't wait.
Decay
AG
Talk about a movie that can generate buzz without a big promotional budget. That plus they might save enough to make the flights cost back.

Does seem appropriate and a little surprising that SpaceX's first tourist flight isn't just some random billionaires. I figured Jerry Jones and Mark Cuban would share a rocket, and half of America would root against them.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Would be personally satisfying if Tom cruised off course and floated away to oblivion.
BigBrother
AG
Definitely a launch I'll attend. This is great.
Decay
AG
BigBrother said:

Definitely a launch I'll attend. This is great.

The rocket or the movie? Or both...
TCTTS
AG
Rick Dalton said:

TCTTS said:

Knowing Cruise, they're going to have it blocked and rehearsed down to the second, and I could see them using those parabolic flights or something similar for practice. Still, I can't imagine the pressure to get this right, especially with that insane price tag. Wow. This is so crazy, but so damn cool.
That makes sense given the circumstances. I only mentioned it because it was brought up when The Rewatchables did Edge of Tomorrow that Liman tossed a lot of footage and spent a lot of time rewriting the script on the fly. He definitely won't have that luxury this time. Tom and McQ do something similar with theM:I films where they plan the big set pieces and then fill in the rest of the story while they're shooting.

What are the odds that Tom goes up there and doesn't do a spacewalk? I think most people are expecting it so it would be disappointing if he doesn't, but I just don't know if that's something that NASA would sign off on since astronauts spend years training for them. I just want to see him replace the AE-35 unit that is going to go 100 percent failure within 72 hours.

I listened to a podcast recently with Cameron Crowe where he talked about how obsessive Cruise was in his prep for even that one relatively "simple" shot in Vanilla Sky where Cruise's character drives into an empty Times Square, parks, gets out, and runs. Crowe said Cruise knew they only had a short window to pull it off, and that something like that had never been done before, so they practiced it for weeks, at Cruise's urging. And that wasn't even really a stunt, per se, but shows his level of dedication to a somewhat similar, pressure-filled, short-window-of-time situation. And I've heard the same about Cruise's stunt work for the Mission movies as well. Yeah, the stories themselves are definitely more on-the-whim, but the stunts/sequences themselves are highly coordinated and rehearsed for weeks, sometimes even months. And I picture whatever they're filming in space to be more "stunt"/Gravity-esque - perhaps like an extended, thirty-minute sequence - than something comprised of a bunch of story/scenes. I'm guessing only a portion of this movie is in space, not the whole thing. I could be wrong, though. Either way, I think Cruise bends Limon to his will, or they're absolutely on the same page from the jump, and have this planned, rehearsed, and conceived like nothing else before.
BigBrother
AG
Lol both guess. I usually enjoy his movies.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, man, I still have a soft spot for Vanilla Sky. It's an acquired taste for sure, but I've probably seen it at least 15 times. Crowe was a god to me after Jerry Maguire and Almost Famous, and I couldn't help but fall for Vanilla Sky in the wake of those two.
TCTTS
AG
Hahaha YES. So good. We absolutely need Tom Cruise running in space. It would the greatest culmination ever.
double aught
AG
This will be a trip to ISS to film, right? In other words, not "just" a ride in a SpaceX capsule?
Quad Dog
AG
There's officially a PAM to the ISS in October 2021 on the FPIP, but the names are still TBD.
PAM = Private Astronaut Mission
FPIP = Flight Planning Integration Panel
Geriatric Punk
AG
Rick Dalton said:

Ha, that Times Square scene is the only thing I remember about Vanilla Sky so all of that practice payed off.

That and him ordering a shot of patron and a budweiser. That was my roommate's starter every time we went out. He called them his "specials." "What did you do last night?" "I don't know. Had a few specials and the rest is a blur."
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
TCTTS
AG
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.