***** American Sitcom Showdown *****

6,045 Views | 63 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
MW03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Got a couple of tight matches, so going to let this round run through the end of the day.
fido00
AG
The Simpsons vs Friends
Rudyjax
AG
how long is this round going?
TXAG 05
AG
fido00 said:

The Simpsons vs Friends

This one is a no brainer. Simpsons all the way. Friends is a garbage soap opera
MW03
AG
Results are in.

(1) The Office def (8) Frasier 86-14
(4) I Love Lucy def (5) Parks and Rec, 57-43
(2) The Simpsons def (7) Friends, 66-34
(3) Seinfeld def (11) Arrested Development, 92-8

A little surprised I Love Lucy took out Parks and Rec, but it's the right call.

Your Final Four match-ups

(1) The Office - Spanning 9 seasons totaling 201 episodes, The Office is the iconic sitcom of what many claim as the "New Golden Age of Television" in America.

It's path to the Final Four: Workaholics>Brooklyn Nine Nine>The Cosby Show>Frasier

vs.

(4) I Love Lucy - Airing from 1951-1957, totaling 181 episodes, I Love Lucy gave post-WW2 America a strong female lead, an interracial marriage, and is considered by many to be the most influential sitcom of the Original Golden Age of Television, and possibly of all time.

It's path to the Final Four: The Jeffersons>Sanford and Son>The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air>Parks and Rec

and

(2) The Simpsons - 30 years, 684 episodes, 34 emmys, and Peabody award later, The Simpsons and creator Matt Groening gave American audiences something entirely unique: a cartoon series geared towards adults, and the iconic animated series of all time.

It's path to the Final Four: Ren & Stimpy>Family Guy>Scooby Doo>Friends

vs.

(3) Seinfeld - 9 seasons and 180 episodes...about nothing. We'd had irreverent sitcoms before, but Seinfeld took the idea of making a group of unlikable, fundamentally selfish individuals your lovable protagonists, and in doing so, gave us a uniquely postmodern and truly American sitcom. Arguably the iconic American sitcom expression.

It's path to the Final Four: Full House>Home Improvement>Cheers>Arrested Development

Cast Your Final Four Votes Here
MW03
AG
It's also worth noting that each team remaining won it's bracket before the reseed.
  • Seinfeld won the 90s bracket
  • The Office won the millennial bracket
  • I Love Lucy won the classic TV bracket
  • The Simpsons won the animated bracket
Ol Jock 99
AG
Simpson's vs Seinfeld is a tough call!
Buck Compton
AG
I love Lucy best Parks and Rec?? Parks and Rev deserved the chance to lose to the office before the inevitable Office vs. Seinfeld championship showdown.
Aggie1205
AG
So was the Cosby Show the one that was closest in vote vs the Office? I wish we could have seen what it did vs others.
MW03
AG
Aggie1205 said:

So was the Cosby Show the one that was closest in vote vs the Office? I wish we could have seen what it did vs others.
Yeah, it's been in the 80s or higher against everyone else. It beat the Cosby Show 65-35 (or something close to that).
Rudyjax
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

It'll be the Office/Seinfeld.
MW03
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

Extremely tough call. I think The Simpsons might suffer just because there will be people who are turned off by it being an animated series, and that's fair. It also suffers a bit because it has been a while since it was A+ programming. Seinfeld suffered that in it's last year as well, but I think because it hasn't been on TV in 20+ years, it's bad episodes are largely forgiven.

Still, if you look at peak vs. peak for both shows, it's a tough match up. The Simpsons was solid gold from 1990-1998, which is basically when Seinfeld was on.
Fairview
AG
I agree with all of this. Also, both are extremely re-watchable. I do find myself watching Seinfeld more that the Simpsons in reruns though. On the flip side my 14 year old son loves the Simpsons and a show that can cross age groups and generations is extremely rare.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

No it's not. Simpsons seasons 1-7 is the best comedy series in American history.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
I loved Cheers in its original airing. One of my favorites. I loved Frasier in its original airing. Also one of my favorites.

IMHO Frasier ended up being the show that holds up better over time. I just don't get as many out loud funny moments from Cheers as I do from Frasier in my rewatches.
MW03
AG
Final call for votes before I shut this down. Relatively close match ups.

Vote Here
MW03
AG
Final Four is over, and no real surprises here.

(1) The Office def (4) I Love Lucy, 67-33. The Office rushed out to an early lead and never really let up.

(3) Seinfeld def (2) The Simpsons, 62-38. This one was neck and neck through the half way point with Seinfeld holding a slight lead. The Simpsons faded down the stretch, and Seinfeld cruised to a pretty decisive win.

FINAL ROUND:

(1) The Office.

vs.

(3) Seinfeld
[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG2dF5PS0bI][url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESe0-_YRX7U][/url][/url]
[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG2dF5PS0bI][/url]

VOTE HERE
Rudyjax
AG
Superblood Wolfmoon said:

Ol Jock 99 said:

It'll be the Office/Seinfeld.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG

Who fields the best starting 5?

Jerry vs. Michael Scott - advantage Office
George vs. Dwight - advantage Seinfeld
Kramer vs. Jim - advantage Seinfeld
Elaine vs. Pam - advantage Seinfeld
Newman vs. Toby - push

Seinfeld wins the series in 5 games.
Rudyjax
AG
I got nothing to do. I'll rig this *****.

Actually, I refuse to vote since there is no winner and only a loser.
MW03
AG
Unsurprisingly, this one is neck and neck. Need more votes though.

MW03
AG
59 total votes, and it's presently 30 votes to 29.
MW03
AG
With 57 of the 101 votes cast, the winner of the American Sitcom Showdown is

(1) The Office def (3) Seinfeld, 56.4-43.6

Rudyjax
AG
Thoughts?
Ol Jock 99
AG
Early Office was brilliant. Later Office wasn't.
Seinfeld was great throughout.

No issue with it, even though I voted differently.
oragator
I had Seinfeld.
I know it's heresy in this board, but never thought Michael Scott was funny. I don't like characters who lack self awareness and Continually do incredibly dumb things (To the point of being a caricature In his case) and never face any sort of real consequences for their stupidity. I cringed more than laughed any time he was on screen.
Pam and Jim are maybe my favorite sitcom couple ever though. And really liked most of the other characters.
Rudyjax
AG
I voted based on which one moved me more often.

I think Seinfeld was funnier.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'll be that guy:

I just never got the popularity of The Office. It was funny at times but the shtick wore thin pretty quickly for me. Parks & Rec only got better as it went, so I much prefer that.

And the UK Office was absolutely brilliant and I'd take it over the American version all day.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Now you're the guy who doesn't get The Office or Shawshank. I'm calling INS.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I said Shawshank was great. Sorry it's not my all-time favorite movie.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.