Cheer on Netflix

12,140 Views | 91 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by The Shank Ag
Hey...so.. um
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is anyone going to watch this?

It looks very interesting and from the same people that did last chance U.
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
Watching it with my daughter who cheers with a level 6 team at Woodlands Elite. Great show.
The Shank Ag
Go Netflix Go!
hph6203
AG
Are you, by chance, a dad? I see you have jokes.
The Shank Ag
My 15 month old thinks I'm hilarious
Hey...so.. um
Anagrammatic Nudist said:

Watching it with my daughter who cheers with a level 6 team at Woodlands Elite. Great show.

Uh oh woodlands elite.

That was so annoying when I went to my sister's cheer comps. Do y'all still do that?
Hey...so.. um
The Shank Ag said:

Go Netflix Go!

I laughed.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
No.
SACR
AG
Watched it. Thought it was terrific.

It is getting rave reviews on Twitter.

Unlike Last Chance U, where you know some of the people are knuckleheads and screw-ups, you find yourself rooting for more of the characters in this one.

Think three different people mentioned attempting suicide at one point in their lives, so it is interesting to me to see the changing viewpoint on talking about mental health.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Wish they would show them dropping all the girls on their heads

aTmAg
AG
My daughters used to watch Dance Moms. I'm about halfway through this, but so far this is sorta like Dance Moms except there is no mom vs mom cattiness, and the cheer coach is clearly an upstanding person. (So a whole lot better.)

For anybody who knows the cheer world, is this team considered elite across all divisions? Or only on comparison to other jucos?
Andyzipp
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

Have you watched it? They practically did drop every girl on their heads. One girl in the first episode has had 5 concussions, and I'm pretty sure she gets at least 2 more over the course of the season.
aTmAg
AG
I'm surprised that doesn't disqualify her from cheer. Soccer has a concussion limit and it's way less than that.
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
They basically only compete against TVCC in their division, so just saying "NCA Champs" (and all the banners) is very misleading. However, when they quote the years of "Grand Champs", that is across all divisions, including D1s.

Navarro is very good, and can compete with anyone.
aTmAg
AG
I assume level 6 is good. I wish your daughter enjoyment and good health. I understand it's the most dangerous sport out there.
SACR
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

Did you not see the episode where Sherbs says, "I'm flying through the air and looking, and there is no one there to catch me"?
SACR
AG

They basically only compete against TVCC in their division, so just saying "NCA Champs" (and all the banners) is very misleading. However, when they quote the years of "Grand Champs", that is across all divisions, including D1s.

They compete against all jucos in their division, not just TVCC. They just make the point that TVCC is their biggest rival and biggest competition to win it.
MookieBlaylock
AG
SACR said:

MookieBlaylock said:

Did you not see the episode where Sherbs says, "I'm flying through the air and looking, and there is no one there to catch me"?

And that is why I said I wish they showed them drop them on their heads
They have the video
]
SACR
AG
Some people on Twitter are bemoaning the Texas government class prof.

Anyone have an issue with her?

I thought her pointing out the stereotypical view people have of Texans was pretty accurate.

Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
SACR said:

They compete against all jucos in their division, not just TVCC. They just make the point that TVCC is their biggest rival and biggest competition to win it.
I understand that. But at NCA last year, there were two JUCOs in attendance for their division, Navarro and TVCC. Hence my comment about their NCA titles and banners.
SACR
AG

Where did you see that? I've been trying to find a list of teams competing, and couldn't find one.
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
SACR said:

Where did you see that? I've been trying to find a list of teams competing, and couldn't find one.

I saw it by watching most of the entire NCA event live on varsity TV. I'll look for the results.
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
The results are here.

http://nca.s3.varsity.com.s3.amazonaws.com/Files/Competitions/Nationals/CN/coed_cheer_junior_college_finals.pdf

So like I said above, Navarro earning an NCA title, unfurling the banner, etc, means they beat one team at Daytona. It's the "grand champs" title that would truly mean something.
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
I think it's hilarious that you would make your reply above to me while not really having a clue what you're talking about. I mean it's par for the course for internet message boards, but not any less funny.
SACR
AG

I think it's hilarious that you would make your reply above to me while not really having a clue what you're talking about. I mean it's par for the course for internet message boards, but not any less funny.

Weird thing to flex about, but okay.

I watched the show, thought they only showed TVCC because that was their biggest competition, not their only competition.

It seemed logical given time constraints in the show that they would only show their biggest competition, and not everyone else they were competing against.

I didn't know they literally only have one other competitor in the juco division, that makes all of those other titles besides grand champion pretty much worthless.

Now I'm wondering if TVCC and Navarro are the only two jucos sponsoring competitive cheerleading squads.

In light of that, it really makes me question why Netflix chose to do a series on this squad. Yeah, amazing story, incredible individual stories, but seriously, a competitive field of two?
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
SACR said:

Weird thing to flex about, but okay.

I watched the show, thought they only showed TVCC because that was their biggest competition, not their only competition.

It seemed logical given time constraints in the show that they would only show their biggest competition, and not everyone else they were competing against.

I didn't know they literally only have one other competitor in the juco division, that makes all of those other titles besides grand champion pretty much worthless.

Now I'm wondering if TVCC and Navarro are the only two jucos sponsoring competitive cheerleading squads.

In light of that, it really makes me question why Netflix chose to do a series on this squad. Yeah, amazing story, incredible individual stories, but seriously, a competitive field of two?

All great points, which is why I brought up this very topic. If you would have taken me for my word in the first place, it would have made for a better discussion. Not flexing, just pointing out the ridiculousness of trying to state someone is wrong when any amount of due diligence on your own could have avoided that.

To your questions, Navarro and TVCC are not the only jucos sponsoring competitive cheer, but are the only two currently year-in-year-out that compete at NCA. The expense for that one trip is enough to keep others away, as well as the training that is obviously necessary to compete to NCA standards.

Navarro has won enough grand champion titles to put it on the map from a national competitiveness standpoint. The story is still intriguing on its own, but yes, simply stating "12-time NCA champion" is much more accurately stated as "12-time 1st place winner over runner-up TVCC".

The increase in interest that I am already seeing in clinics and tryouts for Navarro is off the charts, as I figured this show would cause. That's good for them, and probably good for TVCC as well indirectly.

SACR
AG
Quote:

The increase in interest that I am already seeing in clinics and tryouts for Navarro is off the charts, as I figured this show would cause. That's good for them, and probably good for TVCC as well indirectly.
Hopefully a result of this show will be other jucos with competitive cheerleading squads will receive additional funding so they can make the trip to Daytona and increase the field size.
aTmAg
AG
Why not have the juco's compete against D3 or D2?
aggiespartan
AG
Is Gabi Butler really that good? The series seemed to hype her up but she came off looking sort of average compared to the other girls.
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
aggiespartan said:

Is Gabi Butler really that good? The series seemed to hype her up but she came off looking sort of average compared to the other girls.

She is. The "dead-floors" of school-related cheer are the great equalizer at least in terms of tumbling. On a spring floor like used in All-Star cheer, she would show much more separation between the others.
aTmAg
AG
Why wouldn't she go to some top D1 school then? Why go to a community college? Were her grades not up to snuff?

Do these girls tend to graduate from JUCOs to a D1 school like that Jerry guy (except do cheer there)?
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
aTmAg said:

Why wouldn't she go to some top D1 school then? Why go to a community college? Were her grades not up to snuff?

Do these girls tend to graduate from JUCOs to a D1 school like that Jerry guy (except do cheer there)?
Navarro is actually a better cheer program than many top D1 programs. But the answer is somewhere in between for your first question I would imagine.

On your second question, the answer is yes. One of the girls on the show, Brooke, now cheers at Texas Tech.
aTmAg
AG

aTmAg said:

Navarro is actually a better cheer program than many top D1 programs. But the answer is somewhere in between for your first question I would imagine.

On your second question, the answer is yes. One of the girls on the show, Brooke, now cheers at Texas Tech.
Is Texas Tech considered a step up from Navarro Cheer-wise? Or is she trading a better cheer school for a 4 year degree (and an STD)?
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
aTmAg said:

aTmAg said:

Is Texas Tech considered a step up from Navarro Cheer-wise? Or is she trading a better cheer school for a 4 year degree (and an STD)?
Texas Tech is one of the premier competitive cheer schools in the nation and is obviously a step up in education opportunities. For the STD stuff, you'll have to take to the old rivalries board. Not sure how that is apropos here.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.