2020 Books Read

44,607 Views | 386 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bushytailed
schmidthead
How long do you want to ignore this user?
First Law trilogy
ddugat
AG
discobrob said:

Hit me with some recommendations.
I've read the first three stormlight books. I love the story but they're just so long.
I've read the first two red rising books and enjoyed them.
I've read two of the mistborn books. They're good.
I've liked the Bourne series.
Jack Reacher.
I also like history- empire of the summer moon was good.
A good biography might be nice too.

Whatcha got?
I really enjoyed Joe Abercrombie's First Law Trilogy. Also the stand-alone books are pretty good.
dc509
AG
ddugat said:

discobrob said:

Hit me with some recommendations.
I've read the first three stormlight books. I love the story but they're just so long.
I've read the first two red rising books and enjoyed them.
I've read two of the mistborn books. They're good.
I've liked the Bourne series.
Jack Reacher.
I also like history- empire of the summer moon was good.
A good biography might be nice too.

Whatcha got?
I really enjoyed Joe Abercrombie's First Law Trilogy. Also the stand-alone books are pretty good.

I second the First Law trilogy and the stand alone books. The first two from The Age of Madness are also excellent.

I've said this here before, but I think this story would make an awesome TV series. It's structured in away that I think it could be adapted really well.
mpl35
AG
Funny how preferences differ. I didn't really get into first law.
The Dog Lord
AG
Wheel of Time #1 (The Eye of the World)
Wheel of Time #2 (The Great Hunt)
Wheel of Time #3 (The Dragon Reborn)
Wheel of Time #4 (The Shadow Rising)
Wheel of Time #5 (The Fires of Heaven)
Wheel of Time #6 (Lord of Chaos)
Wheel of Time #7 (A Crown of Swords)
Wheel of Time #8 (The Path of Daggers)
Wheel of Time #9 (Winter's Heart)
Wheel of Time #10 (Crossroads of Twilight)
Wheel of Time #11 (Knife of Dreams)
Wheel of Time #12 (The Gathering Storm)
Wheel of Time #13 (Towers of Midnight)
Wheel of Time #14 (A Memory of Light)
Wheel of Time prequel (New Spring)
Ready Player One
Rendezvous with Rama
Ready Player Two
Redshirts by John Scalzi in-progress

Ready Player Two was okay. Not as good as the first one. I put a longer review on the thread about it for those interested in reading it. Trying not to commit to a series right now so that I can get started with Dune in January.
Azariah
AG
The Saints of Salvation by Peter F. Hamilton released a couple of weeks ago. It's the final installment of his Salvation series (scifi). Hamilton is by far my favorite author. He has incredibly interesting ideas on future technology, and his prose is extremely high level. Great read and great end to a wonderful series.
mrsbeer05
AG
The Law of Innocence by Michael Connelly
B-
Micky Haller has been framed for murder and is acting as his own lawyer. While the suspense about whether or not he could get the not guilty was there, the story behind the frame seemed lazy.
dc509
AG
Azariah said:

The Saints of Salvation by Peter F. Hamilton released a couple of weeks ago. It's the final installment of his Salvation series (scifi). Hamilton is by far my favorite author. He has incredibly interesting ideas on future technology, and his prose is extremely high level. Great read and great end to a wonderful series.

This has my attention.
cmk10
AG
has anyone read Ready Player Two yet?
Bruce Almighty
AG
cmk10 said:

I thought it was meh. Ready Player One was much better.
The Dog Lord
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

cmk10 said:

I thought it was meh. Ready Player One was much better.

Same. Had its good moments and was entertaining overall but not the same. There were a few parts I just wanted to end too. Never felt that way in the prior book.
Azariah
AG
Have you read anything by Hamilton?
dc509
AG
I haven't, but when I finish "Rhythm of War" I think I'm going to check it out.
mpl35
AG
Azariah said:

Just downloaded this.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Reading the Da Vinci Code right now. Saw the movie when it came out years ago, but the book has been great so far.
gcracker13
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Reading the Da Vinci Code right now. Saw the movie when it came out years ago, but the book has been great so far.
A lot of people like to crap on Dan Brown as a writer but I really enjoy his books. Just a simple, easy read
mpl35
AG
gcracker13 said:

Champ Bailey said:

A lot of people like to crap on Dan Brown as a writer but I really enjoy his books. Just a simple, easy read
That is because they have holes and aren't the best writing. I'll admit to enjoying Da Vinci Code. They can have issues and still be enjoyable to me so I see both sides. Just would never warrant a re-read.
turfman80
AG
Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walters was a very good read.
Yeah, well, sometimes nothing is a real cool hand
Azariah
AG
dc509 said:

I haven't, but when I finish "Rhythm of War" I think I'm going to check it out.

I envy you getting to read him for the first time. He's an author who gets better as time goes on, so, while Fallen Dragon is very good, it's not as sophisticated as the Salvation Trilogy.

My favorite are the books that start with Pandora's Star, so you can jump in there. They're a series, though, so it might take a while to read. His two solo books, Fallen Dragon and The Great North Road are also very good and written far enough apart that you can see him grow as a writer.
dc509
AG
I'm looking forward to. I've been looking for a new series to get into.
kegstand
AG
Late to the party here but I finally read all the Dan Brown Robert Langdon books. As a history teacher and art history nut, no idea what took me so long to read them but holy crap did I love them. I chewed through them at a rate I haven't read in a long time.
YouBet
AG
Azariah said:

I would recommend The Reality Dysfunction over Salvation all day long for some one who hasn't read Hamilton. TRD is fascinating and fun.

I posted my last review on Salvation #2 above. Did you like that one? Concept is intriguing but the second book read like a treatise on space physics while he was trying to figure out where to go with the story. Hoping the third book is better.
13B
Monster Hunter International-- Larry Correia--A+
Monster Hunter Vendetta--Larry Correia--A
Monster Hunter Alpha--Larry Correia--A+
Monster Hunter Legion--Larry Correia--A
Monster Hunter Nemesis--Larry Correia--A
Monster Hunter Siege--Larry Correia--A
Monster Hunter Guardian--Larry Correia/Sarah A. Hoyt--A (interestingly written from a woman's perspective)
Monster Hunter Files-- Anthology, multiple authors)--B-
Monster Hunter Memoirs: Grunge--Larry Correia/John Ringo--A++
Monster Hunter Memoirs: Sinners--Larry Correia/John Ringo--A+
Monster Hunter Memoirs: Saints--Larry Correia/John Ringo--A+++
A Murder of Manatees--Larry Correia (Audio Book)--C (while not nearly as good as the MHI books, still pretty funny)

I really enjoy this series, good storyline
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
13B said:

Monster Hunter Guardian (currently reading)--Larry Correia/Sarah A. Hoyt
A Murder of Manatees--Larry Correia (Audio Book)--C (while not nearly as good as the MHI books, still pretty funny)

I love the MHI books.
YouBet
AG
13B said:

Monster Hunter Guardian (currently reading)--Larry Correia/Sarah A. Hoyt

Clearly.
13B
Have you read any of them? Wheel of Time was a good series too, but that was last year's task. I like reading as many of a series consecutively as I can (I can forget details otherwise and it takes awhile to get caught up). The Expanse is very enjoyable too.
YouBet
AG
13B said:

Have you read any of them? Wheel of Time was a good series too, but that was last years task. I like reading as many of a series consecutively as I can (I can forget details otherwise and it takes awhile to get caught up). The Expanse is very enjoyable too.
I have not. Will check them out though. Haven't heard of it.
Azariah
AG
YouBet said:

Azariah said:

I would recommend The Reality Dysfunction over Salvation all day long for some one who hasn't read Hamilton. TRD is fascinating and fun.

I posted my last review on Salvation #2 above. Did you like that one? Concept is intriguing but the second book read like a treatise on space physics while he was trying to figure out where to go with the story. Hoping the third book is better.

The third one ties everything together very well.

You definitely want to start with earlier Hamilton to develop the taste for him. Jumping immediately to later books might be a bewildering experience.
Azariah
AG
Ready Player Two

It was a mixture of cool and really annoying. Most of the beginning read like every Millennial/Gen Z member of my Facebook timeline whining about how screwed up the world is.

The roller coaster part was fun, though.

Huge plot holes.
07ag
AG
11/22/63 a+
and then there were none b
silver chair by cs lewis b-
texas by michener a+
prince caspian cs lewis b
lion witch wardrobe a
voyage of the dawn treader b+
ancillary justice by leckie d
long war by pratchett b-
one way by morden a
murderbot diaries b-
seveneves first 2/3 of book a+, last 1/3 d
beautifully foolish endeavor b+
no way by morden b
the alchemist b+
shuttle, houston by paul dye a+
blindsight by watts b
A Big Ship at the Edge of the Universe b-
rocket men: The Daring Odyssey of Apollo 8 and the Astronauts Who Made Man's First Journey to the Moon b
station eleven by mandel b
cryptonomicon a-
ballad of songbirds and snakes by collins b-
the road by cormac mccarthy a-
exhalation by ted chiang a+
lights out by koppel c
no country for old men a
gravity's rainbow c-
the pillars of the earth a+

working on and should finish 'ready player two' by the end of the year, but doubt i'll finish up anything else this year

but 29 books is nothing to be ashamed about,, including some quite large novels in there
https://ts.la/eric59704
PDWT_12
AG
PDWT_12 said:

PDWT_12 said:

PDWT_12 said:

PDWT_12 said:

PDWT_12 said:

Finally got back to reading regularly.

In the last month or so...

Finished

Allies by Winston Groom- Pretty good

Tiamat's Wrath by James S.A. Corey- Fantastic

Artemis by Andy Weir- Meh

Planning to read Killers of the Flower Moon and Children of Dune next.

Finished

Killers of the Flower Moon by David Grann- Fantastic, can't wait to see this turned into a movie.

Reading

Children of Dune

Blood of Elves by Sapkowski because Libby told me it was the first book in the series, but after doing some research it seems maybe I need to stop and read Last Wish and Sword of Destiny first.

Been a while since I updated, but it's also been a little slow.

Finished

Children of Dune by Herbert- It was good at times, really slow in others but overall I enjoyed it.

Last Wish and Blood of Elves by Sapkowski. Both really good. Never played the Witcher games and haven't watched the Netflix series yet but I like the world he's created.

Redwall by Brian Jacques- Really just wanted to reread this one to see if it held up from my childhood and if I could read it to my kid someday.

Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain- Didn't understand about half of the food he talked about making but still a cool look into his life and the world of professional cooking.

Reading

Sword of Destiny by Sapkowski and then I'll continue through that series.

Jurassic Park by Crichton
Finished

Sword of Destiny was great. Obviously wish I had read it before Blood of Elves the reunion with Ciri loses a little bit of the emotion when you know it's coming.

Jurassic Park don't know why I had never read it before. A rare instance of a good book, better movie.

Patriot Games by Clancy- It's been a while since I've read Clancy's (RIP) stuff, I was very into them when I was in junior high/high school. Patriot Games was always one of my favorites and I think I might reread a lot of his other early stuff too.

Those Who Wish Me Dead by Michael Koryta- Fun and intense read, and enough twists and turns so you don't know when you've got everything figured out. Super excited to see what Sheridan does with this, seems right up his alley and assuming I know who plays who from IMDb, I think they did a good job casting.

Reading

Devil in the White City by Erik Larson. Very early into it but I like the detail and architecture focus of it in parts. I'm familiar enough with the Holmes aspect of the story, but it's cool seeing it play out with the Fair as a backdrop.

Will be starting Time of Contempt from the Witcher soon, and maybe listening to some of the Clancy books in audiobook format.
Finished

Devil in the White City- Excellent. Will read more of Larson's work in the future.

Time of Contempt- Good but didn't like it as much as the short story collections or Blood of Elves, the last 25% was really good though.

Baptism of Fire- Enjoyed it more than Contempt, like the cast of characters that Geralt is traveling with at this point.

Out of the Silent Planet- Have read Lewis for years, all of his Narnia stuff and a lot of his nonfiction. But never the Space Trilogy. I will be checking out the second book soon, awesome stuff that I'm sad I missed for so long.

Reading

Just Tower of the Swallows at the moment but will be picking up Perelandra by Lewis soon.

Finished

The Tower of the Swallows, Lady of the Lake, and Season of Storms from The Witcher Series. Enjoyable series, I've never played the games and not sure I ever will but plan on checking out the Netflix show at least. Lady of the Lake in particular was brutal.

When in Romans by Beverly Gaventa. Read as our church group has been going through a study on Romans.

The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness. First book in the Chaos Walking series, and I thought it was really good especially for the YA genre. Will probably read the rest of the series.

Don't know if I'll get to read anything else this year, but still planning on finishing Lewis' Space Trilogy, interested in the stuff by Peter Hamilton mentioned above, would like to read more from Erik Larson, and some Hunter S. Thompson stuff. Time to start building the 2021 list.
BryanAggie2013
AG
Completed:
Words of Radiance (Stormlight 2)
Edgedancer - Arcanum Unbounded (Stormlight 2.5)
The Screwtape Letters (Lewis)
Mere Christianity (Lewis)
A Grief Observed (Lewis)
The Meaning of Marriage (Keller)
The Four Loves (Lewis)
Oathbringer (Stormlight 3)
The Problem of Pain (Lewis)
The Abolition of Man (Lewis)
The Great Divorce (Lewis)
Isaac's Storm (Larson)
Miracles (Lewis)
God in the Dock (Lewis)
The Lion, The Witch, & The Wardrobe (Narnia 1)
Prince Caspian (Narnia 2)
Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Narnia 3)
The Silver Chair (Narnia 4)
The Horse and His Boy (Narnia 5)
The Magician's Nephew (Narnia 6)
The Last Battle (Narnia 7)
Slaughterhouse-Five (Vonnegut)
The Catcher in the Rye (Salinger)
I Will (Rainer)
Becoming a Welcoming Church (Rainer)
In The Garden of Beasts (Larson)
Out of the Silent Planet (Space Trilogy 1)
Perelandra (Space Trilogy 2)
That Hideous Strength (Space Trilogy 3)
The Most Reluctant Convert: C.S. Lewis' Journey to Faith (Downing)
The Joyful Christian (Lewis)
Dead Wake (Larson)
The Myth of Equality (Wytsma)
Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell (Sanderson)
Be The Bridge (Morrison)
A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms (Martin)
Woke Church (Mason)
Mistborn: The Final Empire (Mistborn #1 - Sanderson)
The Well of Ascension (Mistborn #2)
Hero of Ages (Mistborn #3)
The 11th Metal (Mistborn #0.5)
Warbreaker (Sanderson)
Elantris (Elantris #1 - Sanderson)
The Emperor's Soul (Sanderson)
The Hope of Elantris (Elantris #1.5)
I am a Church Member (Rainer)
The Alloy of Law (Mistborn #4)
Shadows of Self (Mistborn #5)
Bands of Mourning (Mistborn #6)
Secret History (Mistborn #3.5)
Allomancer Jak (Mistborn #4.5)
Orthodoxy (Chesterton)
The Hiding Place (ten Boom)
Sixth of the Dusk (Sanderson)
The Ruthless Elimination of Hurry (Comer)
Life Together (Bonhoeffer)
Till We Have Faces (Lewis)
St. Francis of Assissi (Chesterton)
Dawnshard (Stormlight Archive #3.5)

It has been a great year of reading on this end! Really re-discovered my passion for books and for sitting down and enjoying reading for a bit each day over the COVID lockdown, and have kept the momentum going as best I could now that life is shifting back to normal.

Finished up most of the Cosmere this Fall in preparation for Rhythm of War, but haven't cracked into that yet. Hoping to get that for Christmas and start 2021 on a high note!

Also tried out some Chesterton - based on his relationship with CSL, whose stuff I have devoured this year. I definitely enjoy it, but it is a lot drier and headier than CSL, so it goes a lot slower.

And another note from this list - The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom is amazing. If you are a Christian, I would recommend it as a must, if you're not... you should still read it. I have a feeling it will become an annual re-read for me. Truly a remarkable story.

Sure have enjoyed this thread with all of you! Thanks for the suggestions, reviews, and conversations. Here's to all we'll read in 2021!
AustinAg2K
Well, this pandemic has ended up leading to the most "reading" I think I've ever done. I put reading in quotes, because a lot of it has been audiobooks while I work on projects around the house or go for walks.

A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms (5 of 5 stars) -- The Song of Ice and Fire is one of my favorite series (I even enjoyed "A Dance with Dragons"), and it was really great to return to the world even if it wasn't "The Winds of Winter." The tales of Dunk and Egg are as good as any of the Song of Ice and Fire books, and I highly recommend it to anyone who is a fan of George RR Martin.

Avengers: Everybody Wants to Run the World (Audiobook 3 of 5 starts) -- This was a interesting audiobook to listen to. The book is basically a comic book in novel form, and the audio book added an extra level by having different voice actors and essentially playing like a radio show. It was a quick fun listen, and probably good for anyone with kids who are into the Marvel world.

Masters of Doom (Audiobook 5 of 5 stars) -- This was probably my favorite read/listen of the last year. As someone who grew up in the 90s playing a lot of Doom and other Id Software games, this was a great look behind the curtain at the development of a lot of impactful games to my childhood. I really can't recommend this book enough to any video game nerd from the 90s.

Blood, Sweat, and Pixels (Audiobook 4 of 5 stars) -- Another book about the development of various video games. This one focused on more modern games like Uncharted 4 and Diablo 3. I'm more of a retro gamer, and didn't know much about some of the games mentioned, but as a software developer, I was still able to relate to a lot of the stories in the book.

The Guest List (Audiobook 2 of 5 stars) -- Probably my least favorite book I read in 2020. I was really excited about this one, because I love Agatha Christie, but I ended up finding this book a major slog to get through. I didn't find any of the characters likeable, and the twists were all fairly predictable for me. By the end of the book, I was hoping everyone would die.

The Phoenix Project (Audiobook 3 of 5 stars) -- A software development book written in novel form. It tells the story of Parts Unlimited and how it was able to transform its IT work culture. I found a lot of the book contrived, and things seemed to work out a little too easy, but I still think it's probably a good book for Executive management to read, because they don't necessarily need all the details. For hands on technical people, I suggest reading The DevOps Handbook (below).

Console Wars (Audiobook 4 of 5 stars) -- Another video game history book for me, this about Sega vs Nintendo in the 90s. Really presented from the view of Sega's Tom Kalinske. Even though I pretty much knew the outcome of everything, I found this book gripping. It definitely brought back a lot of memories for me of playing Sonic at friends' houses. This was another big hit for me.

Jurassic Park (5 of 5 stars) -- This was a re-read for me. One of my favorite books of all time, and I still found it just as good after reading it for the fourth or fifth time. I haven't been able to find a writer to replace the void Michael Crichton's death left.

The Big Sleep (Audiobook 2 of 5 stars) -- I enjoy film noire, so I thought I'd try out one of the books that helped launch the genre. Overall, though, I just found this book too outdated for my tastes.

The DevOps Handbook (4 of 5 stars) -- This was a very technical book. It's mostly a lot of case studies about how Google, Facebook, etc. implement their development process. As a software developer, I feel like this is a must read.

The Unicorn Project (Audiobook 2 of 5 stars) -- A sequel to The Phoenix Project. I think, maybe, at this point I was kind of burnt out on technical/Dev Ops books, because this book was very repetitive of the lessons I'd already learned. The situations were even more contrived than the Phoenix Project, and somehow they were able to solve problems over a weekend that would take months to resolve. I recommend skipping this one, as it provides no new information from the The Phoenix Project.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (4 of 5 stars) -- Another re-read for me, although I originally read this book close to 30 years and didn't remember any of the plot points. I definitely enjoyed it again, although some of the silliness is now a bit took much for me.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (5 of 5 stars) -- The last re-read for me. I don't know if I need to say much about this. You either love Harry Potter or hate it. I personally love it.

Dune (Audiobook 4 of 5 stars) -- At times, I felt like this was incredible, but other times it seemed to flash over points very quickly. Sometimes I kind of wondered if the audiobook was maybe an abridged version. The best way I can describe this book is Game of Thrones in space. Another strange thing, the audiobook at times was a cast of characters with different people voicing each character's lines and thoughts. At other times, it was a single author voicing everyone. It was almost like I had two different audiobooks. I think I probably would have liked this one more if I had read the book.

Fahrenheit 451 (3 of 5 stars) -- I was familiar with the overall story (burning books), but I had never read the book. I found it interesting that the reason society was burning books wasn't because of some totalitarian government that didn't want people to think on their own. Rather it was that people didn't like how books made them feel bad about things, and might make them think about past atrocities society had committed. It seemed very relevant to today's cancel culture. If you don't agree with something, just get rid of it. I would have liked this book better, though, if it was more fleshed out. It was really short and I felt like it left a lot unexplored. Also, I didn't particularly like the writing style. I get why it's considered a classic for the concept, but the execution could have been better.

Ready Player Two (2 of 5 stars) -- I really like Ready Player One, but this one was just too over the top. It's like the author thought all anyone liked about the first book was pop culture, so he quadrupled down on it. There were a couple of points where I felt like it was getting back to more like RP1, but it never stuck. I would recommend anyone who enjoyed RP1 to skip this one.

Currently reading
A Promised Land (Audiobook) -- I've never read a President's memoirs, so I don't really know how to compare this to others. I was interested in it, because I want to understand the inner workings of politics better and understand our foreign relations better. Those parts of the book are excellent. Obama goes into great detail about the Financial Crisis, Health Care, and The War on Terror. Even if you disagree with Obama's political stance, I don't see how someone could read this book and not think he's very intelligent. He definitely has a good understanding of history and the issues. My big complaint with the book is parts of it seem to be a political ad trying to gain my vote for him, which is obviously pointless at this point. I guess it's probably hard for a politician to stop pandering for votes.

Except for probably finishing A Promised Land, I doubt I'll complete anymore books this year. Definitely the most I've completed in one year.
YouBet
AG
Completed
Black Cross - Greg Iles
Sharp Ends (First Law World Book 7) - Joe Abercrombie
Norse Mythology - Neil Gaiman
Babylon's Ashes (The Expanse #6) - James S.A. Story (Audible)
Stormchild - Bernard Cornwell
The Last Wish (The Witcher #0.5) - Andrzej Sapkowski
Strange Dogs (The Expanse #6.5) - James S.A. Story
Adrians Undead Diary Omnibus Volume 1 (Books 1-4) - Chris Philbrook
Adrians Undead Diary Omnibus Volume 2 (Books 5-8) - Chris Philbrook
The Hero of Ages (Mistborn #3) - Brandon Sanderson
Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania - Erik Larson
The Dealer of Hope: Adrian's March Part One (Adrian's Undead Diary #9) - Chris Philbrook
Unhappy Endings (Tales from the World of Adrian's Undead Diary #1) - Chris Philbrook
London Burning (Tales from the World of Adrian's Undead Diary #2) - Chris Philbrook
Only the Light We Make (Tales from the World of Adrian's Undead Diary #3) - Chris Philbrook
Saga (Vol 7-9) - Brian K Vaughn
Salvation Lost (Salvation Sequence #2) - Peter F Hamilton

The Martian - Andy Weir
Most people love this book. I thought it was really good but probably not as much as others. I read it off and on over this entire year and just finished it. To be fair, I think the only reason I didn't love it and read it through in one take is because it was so much like Adrians Undead Diary in style that I wanted to read something written differently after I picked it up. (I started The Martian after ADU Volume 2 if I recall correctly). Both were written in first person POV with smart ass main characters trying to survive on their own against all odds. I actually wonder if Andy copied Chris's style here; not that authors don't do that every day. Reading the Q&A with Andy at the end I discovered he even released The Martian like Chris Philbrook with ADU - free on his blog. Then it got a cult following big enough for him to publish it for real. That's always cool to see.

Spoiler Question: So China ends up providing the booster rocket for Watney's crew to turn around and save him with the stated caveat by the Chinese that they were going to do it with the caveat that a Chinese astronaut would go with them and ride coattails. That plot line disappeared and was never spoken of again that I recall? What happed there?
The Dog Lord
AG
Wheel of Time #1 (The Eye of the World)
Wheel of Time #2 (The Great Hunt)
Wheel of Time #3 (The Dragon Reborn)
Wheel of Time #4 (The Shadow Rising)
Wheel of Time #5 (The Fires of Heaven)
Wheel of Time #6 (Lord of Chaos)
Wheel of Time #7 (A Crown of Swords)
Wheel of Time #8 (The Path of Daggers)
Wheel of Time #9 (Winter's Heart)
Wheel of Time #10 (Crossroads of Twilight)
Wheel of Time #11 (Knife of Dreams)
Wheel of Time #12 (The Gathering Storm)
Wheel of Time #13 (Towers of Midnight)
Wheel of Time #14 (A Memory of Light)
Wheel of Time prequel (New Spring)
Ready Player One
Rendezvous with Rama
Ready Player Two
Redshirts by John Scalzi

Enjoyed Redshirts. Not his best, but it was entertaining and pulled me in the more I read. Will be my last read of 2020. Going to start Dune on January 1st (wife already gave me a boxed set as one of my Christmas gifts). May read Scalzi's Interdependency Trilogy in 2021 as well if I'm still on a sci-fi kick after the Dune series. I've had the first book for awhile and picked up a seemingly new and unread copy of the 2nd at HPB a few months ago.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.