2020 Books Read

44,056 Views | 386 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bushytailed
dc509
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Has anyone read "Leviathan Wakes" by James S. A. Corey? I'm probably 85% of the way through, and I'm not sure about this one. This book keeps trying to be good, but never exactly gets there. My question is does the series pick up? Do the main characters ever, I don't know, evolve? One sort of annoys me and the other one has a storyline that is a bit much. I really like the premise so if it finally gets going this could be really good.
Sq1dvm
AG
Yes, it picks up, kinda becomes Fireflyish once everyone gels into a team. I dig the way the series actually addresses the physics of space travel. I read them all last year, and by the second book I was hooked. I'd say at least give the next book a try.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Just finished Debt of Honor, on to Executive Orders.

What an ending.
dc509
AG
Ok awesome. Gracias.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Champ Bailey said:

Just finished Debt of Honor, on to Executive Orders.

What an ending.

Might have been a bad time to start this book, with the Coronavirus stuff going on.
hunter2012
AG
dc509 said:

Has anyone read "Leviathan Wakes" by James S. A. Corey? I'm probably 85% of the way through, and I'm not sure about this one. This book keeps trying to be good, but never exactly gets there. My question is does the series pick up? Do the main characters ever, I don't know, evolve? One sort of annoys me and the other one has a storyline that is a bit much. I really like the premise so if it finally gets going this could be really good.

I'm currently reading book 8 and the answer is YES. There's a reason the series is so widely popular, if you don't mind me asking which character is annoying you? Also if it helps there will be more POV characters in future books, some you've already met. Sorry if spoilers, but you asked...
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
hunter2012 said:

dc509 said:

I'm currently reading book 8 and the answer is YES. There's a reason the series is so widely popular, if you don't mind me asking which character is annoying you? Also if it helps there will be more POV characters in future books, some you've already met. Sorry if spoilers, but you asked...

7 & 8 are so good.
hunter2012
AG
Agreed, though I've liked just about every arc, there's one book that I consider the weak link but I wasn't bored by it... Also reading the supplemental novellas helped in fleshing out the characters/universe.
dc509
AG
hunter2012 said:

dc509 said:

I figured as much. Miller's decent into insanity regarding the girl he was looking for is what is a little too much for me I feel like the book would have been better without that story line and I find Holden to be annoying.
hunter2012
AG
fret not on Miller, and Holden will always be a total boyscout but he does get more mature in that he sees the bigger picture as the story develops. Honestly some of the best characters haven't even been introduced yet(in book 1). Hope this helps!
dc509
AG
Ok awesome. I'm looking forward to reading it.
YouBet
AG
hunter2012 said:

Agreed, though I've liked just about every arc, there's one book that I consider the weak link but I wasn't bored by it... Also reading the supplemental novellas helped in fleshing out the characters/universe.

Anyone have a lead on Drive #2.6? It's the only novella that seems to be out of print and unavailable on kindle.
boboguitar
AG
It's march 10th and I've already finished my audible book for the month.

Mistborn era 2 was fantastic though, just too short.
AgHawkeye
AG
boboguitar said:

It's march 10th and I've already finished my audible book for the month.

Mistborn era 2 was fantastic though, just too short.

Yearly subscription highly recommended. It evens out. Sometime you get into a series and plow through them. Sometimes may get into a podcast.
YouBet
AG
Completed
  • Black Cross - Greg Iles
  • Sharp Ends (First Law World Book 7) - Joe Abercrombie
  • Norse Mythology - Neil Gaiman
  • Babylon's Ashes (The Expanse #6) - James S.A. Story (Audible)
  • Stormchild - Bernard Cornwell
  • The Last Wish (The Witcher #0.5) - Andrzej Sapkowski
  • Strange Dogs (The Expanse #6.5) - James S.A. Story

In Process
  • The Hero of Ages (Mistborn #3)
  • The Martian - Andy Weir
Sq1dvm
AG
Being Dad: Father as a Picture of God's Grace - Someone on TexAgs recommended this one (not here, it was some other thread). Enjoyed it, made me think.

Phasma - Surprisingly good. 9YO wanted to read it, I still read books written for adults before letting him read them. I enjoyed this one.
The Dog Lord
AG
Wheel of Time #1 (The Eye of the World)
Wheel of Time #2 (The Great Hunt)
Wheel of Time #3 (The Dragon Reborn)
Wheel of Time #4 (The Shadow Rising)
Wheel of Time #5 (The Fires of Heaven) in-progress
YouBet
AG
The Dog Lord said:

This is impressive by the way if you've read all of this just in 2020.
The Dog Lord
AG
YouBet said:

The Dog Lord said:

This is impressive by the way if you've read all of this just in 2020.

Yep, just 2020. I've benefitted from having a few flights this year already, and I usually spend 95% of flight time reading. I've gotten some good chunks in at home too though, especially as I near the end of each book.
DanHo2010
AG
So far in 2020:

1) The Hundred Days (Aubrey/Maturin #19) by Patrick O'Brian - A

Still my favorite series, and probably always will be. This one is set during Napoleon's last campaign and ends just after Waterloo.

2) The Crippled God (Malazan #10) by Steven Erikson - A-

Wow, finishing this series was really a load off my mind. All the things they said about this series are true - it'll blow your mind, everything else seems basic by comparison once you're done, etc - but it was still a really tough read that took me nearly 2 years off and on to get through. The best thing is now I can go read explanations of the more, shall we say, inscrutable chapters and appreciate the story more fully. Plus it's kind of like getting your reading mind in better shape, other books seem like walks in the park now. Can't recommend it to everyone, but some people will love it.

3) The Well of Ascension (Mistborn #2) by Brandon Sanderson - B+

Fun series. The plotting is better than the writing. I really like the questions Sanderson asks, and you can see his internal dialogue with his Mormon upbringing throughout the story.

4) Blue at the Mizzen (Aubrey/Maturin #20) by Patrick O'Brian - A

Still my favorite series. Started 16 years ago and now it's done. I just wish there were 20 more. For those of you who have read Hornblower, Alatriste, or Sharpe, which do you recommend going to now?

5) The Last Wish (The Witcher #1) by Andrzej Sapkowski - B

Enjoyed this. This book is much more explicitly tied to traditional fairy tales than the 3 games were.

6) The Jewel in the Skull (Eternal Champion/Hawkmoon #1) by Michael Moorcock - B-

This was the 2nd Moorcock book I've read, and I feel like I have the general idea now. Pulpy, direct, old-school fantasy. Lots of fun, but not sure how much farther into this I'll go.

7) The Hero of Ages (Mistborn #3) by Brandon Sanderson - B+

Quality ending to a very good story. Felt a little basic after Malazan, but I'm looking forward to reading more of his work.

8) The Blade Itself (First Law #1) by Joe Abercrombie - A

This came highly recommended and with good reason. Absolutely top notch effort. Great setting, great characters. Everyone seems to characterize this as grimdark, but this first volume was...not that dark? Maybe the next two kick it up a notch, or maybe I'm just a jaded reader at this point.

9) A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson - in progress, excellent so far

I set my Goodreads challenge at 40 for the year, so just barely on pace for now.
YouBet
AG
Malazan was incredible. And you are right that it's a challenging read. After reading that, things do seem basic in comparison. Also took me about two straight years to read all of it. It's all I read in that timeframe.

I ventured off into some of the books his co-author exclusively wrote and some of Eriksons side novels as well. Also good but I never completed all of those. Frankly, I'm too far away from it at this point to finish those out with all of that context now lost in a memory hole.
ddugat
AG
The Night Fire (Rene Ballard Book 3) Michael Connelly
-good stuff. I eagerly await any Harry Bosch or Renee Ballard book

The Ten Thousand Doors of January - Alix E. Harrow
-came across this by accident. Probably one of the best fantasy books I've read in a while (if you can get past a teeny bit of teenage angst, it's worth it)

BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Too many book titles w/o descriptions ! A simple line or two would be appreciated.
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
dc509
AG
Quote:

This came highly recommended and with good reason. Absolutely top notch effort. Great setting, great characters. Everyone seems to characterize this as grimdark, but this first volume was...not that dark? Maybe the next two kick it up a notch, or maybe I'm just a jaded reader at this point.

You're going to really like this series. I think you were a little oversold on just how dark it is, but it is a very good series. It does get darker though as you go. That part is a little more of a slow burn though. That will make sense as you go. I'm really looking forward to book 5 coming out in the fall.
hunter2012
AG
I am caught up on the Expanse(finished Tiamat's Wrath) and am now starting the most recent Witcher book(season of storms). After that I want to start another series but I'm having trouble deciding. Should I read Dune, Wheel of time, or the Dresden Files?
Chipotlemonger
AG
Have you read Dune before? Would be cool to read that before the movie comes out.
Topher17
AG
Finished The Tattooist of Auchwitz.
Have read many many better Holocaust books. Felt this one was poorly written and a lot of the characters were very flat with little development and the whole thing was dialogue heavy, but the dialog was weak. Disappointed considering all the reviews I'd read about this one.
dc509
AG
hunter2012 said:

I am caught up on the Expanse(finished Tiamat's Wrath) and am now starting the most recent Witcher book(season of storms). After that I want to start another series but I'm having trouble deciding. Should I read Dune, Wheel of time, or the Dresden Files?
Dune is definitely worth reading. I just started The Wheel of Time, and so far I really like it.
Ulrich
YTD 2020
Mistborn - Sanderson
The Well of Ascension - Sanderson
The Hero of Ages - Sanderson
The Golden Compass - Pullman
The Subtle Knife - Pullman
The Amber Spyglass - Pullman
On Moral Fiction - Gardner
The Drunkard's Walk - Mlodinow
The Winter King - Cornwall
Enemy of God - Cornwall
Excalibur - Cornwall
Stranger in a Strange Land - Heinlein
Plato's Alarm Clock - Russell
Surely you're Joking, Mr. Feynman - Feynman
The Man who Loved Only Numbers - Hoffman
Plot - Dibell
Bird by Bird - Anne Lamott
How to Write Science Fiction & Fantasy - Card
Creating Characters - Swain
A Splendid Exchange - Bernstein
The Name of the Rose - Eco
The Story of Philosophy - Durant
The Honor Code - Appiah
The Mongol Warlords - Nicolle

Disappointed in two:
The Honor Code because one of the three supporting examples was basically an assertion with very little proof, but that was the only place that he was trying to say something really interesting. I don't regret reading it because I picked up a few interesting facts and thoughts, but it wasn't nearly as good as I had hoped.

Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman because it was too over the top and self-mythologizing... maybe it was all true, but still a bit unseemly to tell all these admiring stories about himself.

A Splendid Exchange (about the history of trade) and The Story of Philosophy were really good.

Currently reading The Muqaddimah by Ibn Khaldun (outstanding so far) and Foundation by Asimov (too early to say anything).
bushytailed
AG
In process: Swan Song by Robert McCammon

This was based off other posters' recommendations from the '19 thread. Seems fitting given what's going on right now.
Smokedraw01
Thanks to those that recommended the Red Rising series. My daughter and I are listening to them as we speak.
YouBet
AG
dc509 said:

Quote:

You're going to really like this series. I think you were a little oversold on just how dark it is, but it is a very good series. It does get darker though as you go. That part is a little more of a slow burn though. That will make sense as you go. I'm really looking forward to book 5 coming out in the fall.
You are in for a real treat then because there are 7 books already out in First Law. I just finished Book #7. See my earlier posts.
dc509
AG
Ah, I should have clarified. The second book in the Age of Madness trilogy. Though I haven't read any of the standalone books yet.
boboguitar
AG
Now start mistborn era 2. You'll get to read a character that is in my top 5 of all time. Wayne.
ddugat
AG
I honestly had never visited this forum until a few days ago. I have since learned about new movies regarding The Stand and Dune. Ah... what was old is new again... especially in Hollywood. Yes people read these books and remember, "fear is the mind killer".

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.