*** THE MORNING SHOW (Apple TV+) ***

10,315 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by MooreTrucker
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have to eat crow on this one.

Despite its star power, not only did The Morning Show never really look that great to me, but I'm pretty sure I mocked it and Apple TV+'s offerings in general on this board more than a couple of times. That said, my family wanted to start it over the holiday, I begrudgingly obliged, and, well, fast forward to tonight, I just finished the season finale... and it was fantastic. Just incredible stuff.

Though, I was partially justified. The show as a whole isn't prestige TV. It's a classic network drama, circa the early-to-mid-'00s or so, in both the best and worst ways. It has a distinct NBC feel, except with a massive budget, language, and three huge stars. It also feels somewhat Sorkin-ish - like Studio 60 or The Newsroom - except without the Sorkin of it all, if that makes any sense (which is also both a good and a bad thing). I haven't watched network TV dramas in a decade, but The Morning Show made me nostalgic for their heyday in a weird (and the best) way. Watching this show is like somehow enjoying McDonald's again, except it's McDonald's that's now served with alcohol. Which, yes, still sounds disgusting... but also kind of comforting?

And I felt that way for the majority of the season - that it was good and addicting, just not great - but I have to say, the final two episodes of this first season were absolutely riveting, so much so that I kind of can't wait for season two now.

It definitely won't be everyone's cup of tea, but if you're looking for something to knock out over this holiday lull, I don't think you'll be disappointed. At the very least, watching it finally made sense of Apple TV+ for me and what they're trying to do. They're trying to make "network TV" good again. And they're doing it by doing what network TV can't - attracting huge stars and allowing content that advertisers don't - which, it turns out, makes quite the difference.

Anyone else watch?
AgfromHOU
AG
My wife and I watched this and For All Mankind weekly and loved them both.

Corey (Billy Crudup) was a great character and Steve Carrell did a great job playing the creepy sexual predator that thinks he's the victim.

What I liked most about the show is that Carrell and Aniston usually play the lovable characters but in this show you really didn't like either one but you were still interested in them.

It was mostly predictable but I'm looking forward to a season 2.
Duncan Idaho
I had/have no doubt that this would be fantastic....I just refuse to support another streaming service.
nai06
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

I had/have no doubt that this would be fantastic....I just refuse to support another streaming service.

We got a free year subscription with the purchase of a new apple phone.

I really liked this show. Steve Carell's character was pretty awful from start to finish and then came along Martin Short. I agree it has a newsroom/wear wing feel. We binged watched it and was pleasantly surprised at how much we enjoyed it.
aglaohfour
AG
I really enjoyed it a lot overall. Hannah's storyline and particularly the hotel scene in Vegas and her suicide were just gut-wrenching. Having worked with a lot of creepy men who don't think they're creepy, I felt like Steve Carell really nailed the role. I was so grossed out by him at times that it was almost hard to watch. I also liked seeing Aniston play something more serious than usual.

Planning to watch For All Mankind next to get my money's worth out of the subscription, but I don't feel like my money or time were wasted at all with this show. I'll definitely be back for season 2.
King moto moto
AG
I didn't want to watch this series but my wife made me and really happy she did.

Really enjoyed it and can't wait for season 2.
TCTTS
theNetSmith
AG
Add one more who was pleasantly surprised by this show.. only on episode 6, I think, so far, but damn it's good.
Al Bula
AG
3 episodes in. Entertaining, will keep watching but I don't feel much need to keep an Apple TV+ subscription after my free year is up.

Would not have paid for this service had it not been free. The Apple TV user interface is pretty much terrible and is less useful than the native smart
TV apps which are way more functional.

MadMen was waaaaay better. I choose to compare these two shows because a) New York is the setting and b) both are very much defined by an industry.

Jennifer Aniston and Steve Carrell are overacting. If NBC had a streaming network, it would feel more appropriate.
dc509
AG
Re: Network TV, I believe I read that Tim Cook had them tone down aspects of it that might have made it feel less like network cable.

Quote:

I haven't watched network TV dramas in a decade, but The Morning Show made me nostalgic for their heyday in a weird (and the best) way. Watching this show is like somehow enjoying McDonald's again, except it's McDonald's that's now served with alcohol. Which, yes, still sounds disgusting... but also kind of comforting?

I'm almost surprised at how much sense that makes.
PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

I have to eat crow on this one.

Despite its star power, not only did The Morning Show never really look that great to me, but I'm pretty sure I mocked it and Apple TV+'s offerings in general on this board more than a couple of times. That said, my family wanted to start it over the holiday, I begrudgingly obliged, and, well, fast forward to tonight, I just finished the season finale... and it was fantastic. Just incredible stuff.

Though, I was partially justified. The show as a whole isn't prestige TV. It's a classic network drama, circa the early-to-mid-'00s or so, in both the best and worst ways. It has a distinct NBC feel, except with a massive budget, language, and three huge stars. It also feels somewhat Sorkin-ish - like Studio 60 or The Newsroom - except without the Sorkin of it all, if that makes any sense (which is also both a good and a bad thing). I haven't watched network TV dramas in a decade, but The Morning Show made me nostalgic for their heyday in a weird (and the best) way. Watching this show is like somehow enjoying McDonald's again, except it's McDonald's that's now served with alcohol. Which, yes, still sounds disgusting... but also kind of comforting?

And I felt that way for the majority of the season - that it was good and addicting, just not great - but I have to say, the final two episodes of this first season were absolutely riveting, so much so that I kind of can't wait for season two now.

It definitely won't be everyone's cup of tea, but if you're looking for something to knock out over this holiday lull, I don't think you'll be disappointed. At the very least, watching it finally made sense of Apple TV+ for me and what they're trying to do. They're trying to make "network TV" good again. And they're doing it by doing what network TV can't - attracting huge stars and allowing content that advertisers don't - which, it turns out, makes quite the difference.

Anyone else watch?
I haven't finished it yet, but I am really enjoying it. I think what it is missing, is that Carrell doesn't fit in with a Sorkin-esque style of show. I like him a lot, he is very funny and is actually a quite good dramatic actor. However, he doesn't have the ability to do snappy delivery and monologues. It doesn't fit.

It's not on the level of Sports NIght, or West Wing, The Newsroom, but that doesn't mean it's bad either.

The world needs more Mark Duplass roles.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I'm most of the way through this. I love Billy Cruddup's character and his acting. I like the story especially now that lines have been drawn and the world is about to throw down. Jennifer Anniston is not a good actress. But in general I've really enjoyed this.
20ag07
This show is such an amazing hot mess. I know it's terrible, but I can't stop watching and am completely entertained. It's like Apple said "spend alllll the money you want on anything that can be seen on screen, literally all of it, anything you want, but not on writers." You've got an already stacked cast, then they just hire an A-lister for any bit part to show up and cash a $500K a week check- Will Arnett, Juliana Marguilies, it just goes on. Have no idea why Steve Carrell is even still here, other than they must have guaranteed him his $1M/episode for 2 seasons until they changed the show and didn't need him anymore. Makes no sense and I don't even care.

I was warned there was a twist at the end of s2 ep3, so saw the Reese/Margulies kiss coming a mile away, still lolololed

Hope this hot mess runs for like 6 seasons.
dc509
AG
20ag07 said:

This show is such an amazing hot mess. I know it's terrible, but I can't stop watching and am completely entertained. It's like Apple said "spend alllll the money you want on anything that can be seen on screen, literally all of it, anything you want, but not on writers." You've got an already stacked cast, then they just hire an A-lister for any bit part to show up and cash a $500K a week check- Will Arnett, Juliana Marguilies, it just goes on. Have no idea why Steve Carrell is even still here, other than they must have guaranteed him his $1M/episode for 2 seasons until they changed the show and didn't need him anymore. Makes no sense and I don't even care.

I was warned there was a twist at the end of s2 ep3, so saw the Reese/Margulies kiss coming a mile away, still lolololed

Hope this hot mess runs for like 6 seasons.
And they've backed themselves into a situation with his character where there about an inch away from rehabilitating Mitch Kessler. The girl yelling at him came off looking bad after Paola saved him, and now they're teaming up on a (albeit likely stupid) documentary. I'm semi fascinated by how that is going to turnout. The Twitter reaction to making him some type of sympathetic character is going to be awesome.
maroon barchetta
A companion show to this one should be "Matt Lauer gets strapped to a chair and his eyes held open like in A Clockwork Orange and he has to binge watch the whole first season and we stream the show on half the screen and his face on the other half of the screen".

The title needs a little work. But you get the idea.
20ag07
They are so gonna kill Steve Carrell off with COVID.
One Louder
AG
20ag07 said:

They are so gonna kill Steve Carrell off with COVID.

That's my feeling as well.
KidDoc
AG
I just caught up and I'm enjoying it. I like that Italian lady she cracks me up!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
GreasenUSA
AG
This seems like such a train wreck in Season 2. I'm not really interested in all the woke storylines (even if they play both sides of it) in the home office. Several characters seem less likable this season. I want to see the directions they take Chip and Cory, but am having trouble caring about the others.

To be honest, I'm more interested in the Italy storyline with Mitch and Ramada Rodham Hayman, so it will be a shame if they kill him off.

I will keep watching through the season to see how it plays out.
dc509
AG
I like this season, but it does feel somewhat disjointed.

Bradley and Laura's relationship is interesting, but it feels like it was added in because they forgot to add something shocking. Which, ok. I think Bradley has the most

I like Stella. She clearly had high ideals, and believed that she was going actually change things. Watching her come to terms with the realization that she is a cog in the same corporate machine has been interesting.

Mitch is the most fascinating to me. Not necessarily because of the story being told, but because I'm extremely interested to see if they are willing to end up making him even a little by sympathetic. I'm not saying they should, but that would definitely be a zag in 2021.

Alex kind of bores me, but I do think she's headed toward a big explosion.

KidDoc
AG
I think Alex's back pain is something bad- my guess is metastatic breast cancer.

Not sure where they are going with Bradley's love triangle, could be interesting. Clearly it seems like Colin is going to leak the story that she is having a lesbian love affair to cover up the stories for the lady who OD'd.

I like Mitch's story line at the moment, some good redemption and facing his guilt.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BowSowy
AG
Did anyone else get the impression that Cory is about to leak the story that Bradley is in a same-sex relationship to try to bury the story about Hannah? IIRC, he was told that a more juicy story was needed to counter the Hannah story. And then he had that phone call with Bradley asking if he should do whatever necessary to bury it. Maybe that's a very obvious thought.
20ag07
Hahahaha, this week's episode…this show is such a train wreck.
85aggie777
AG
20ag07 said:

Hahahaha, this week's episode…this show is such a train wreck.
Yeah. There was some kind of point in the first season, but this one is all over the place. Considering these people all make fabulous money, they sure are angry and miserable. I can't even imagine how much that Italian villa is worth.
GreasenUSA
AG
I had a few gripes with episode 7 last week, and thought it was drawn out a bit too long, but coupled with this week's episode, it's the first time this season has rekindled some of what made Season 1 good.
20ag07
This is the most hot mess of a television show that has ever been produced.

I've seen a lot, but nothing like this. Exactly billions spent and appearing on screen. The most bizarre thing I've ever seen.
TCTTS
AG
Right there with you. Season one had its issues, of course, but was still competent, engaging, and entertaining. Season two, however, was one of the worst seasons of television I think I've ever seen. Just an absolute train wreck (or car wreck, rather) from beginning to end. The last thing I wanted to do was relive the pandemic, and on top of that they managed to tackle it in one of the worst ways possible. Combined with the fact that they doubled down on #MeToo and cancel culture and handled all that just as badly and the whole thing resulted in this smorgasbord of nonsense and chaos that few people want to see in a show like this. It was as if a high school writers room was assembled and told to do their best Sorkin, and the whole thing just failed miserably.
20ag07
The first half of season 2 was quite entertaining, but messy. Then it went off the rails like nothibg I've ever seen.

It was a very very expensive something. Probably the biggest mess I've ever seen. And I say this as someone who quite enjoyed Sorkin's messy Studio 60 and Newsroom.

It was like this year they tried to keep one-upping the previous week's bad decisions.

Hot mess.
Al Bula
AG
What a terrible show. Alex is rivaling Gemma Teller Morrow and Skylar White for worst woman character in TV.

The junkie brother storyline was filler garbage.

Bradley and the ER chick was not even risque enough to be interesting. Gays are normal enough that it was just boring.

The whole book storyline was overly dramatic and overshadowed a really good cast, yet most of the actors felt like they couldn't find their ass with both hands to string together believable scenes.

The Covid storyline was a poor decision for the millions of people who have zero Fs to give.

Angry gay black dude was too brooding to ever be some interesting. Golden opportunity to make him the face of TMS but crap writing about him having a chip on his shoulder and needing to take care of his grandpa (which somehow already feels like a trope two years into Covid) snuffed that spark out. When he sang to the dude from kids in the hall, that was actually a high point for me.

The yanko moment about the spirit animal seemed like a quirky opportunity to comment on the PC state of things but it was really just foreshadowing how the show would grab things straight from the headlines in really uninteresting ways.

The streaming service plot could have been more interesting but fell flat.

Kelly kapoor from the rival station seemed way out of place and an afterthought.

The bright spots for me are still Cory and chip. Cory is a very unique character in my opinion.

In summary, creators tried too hard to feed Covid and cancel culture to us. Leave it to South Park to turn real life into interesting satire.

Really thought uba would dump most of the TMS folks and they would jump to another network.
GreasenUSA
AG
'The Morning Show' Renewed For Season 3 At Apple, Charlotte Stoudt Joins As Showrunner

Season 2 was such a mess, but I'm kind of glad to see the show will continue. Hopefully the new producer will be able to course correct going forward.
YouBet
AG
I mostly skipped S2 talk above but sounds like it devolves. We are halfway through S1 and have really enjoyed it. Will see what happens when we get to S2 but I highly doubt we will want to relive COVID and cancel culture will have me cancelling this show post haste if they go hard in the paint on that. However, to be fair, they seem to have at least attempted to be kind of, sort of balanced on the political issues within this show at least in S1.

Anyway, I think Aniston is acting very well in this...and that's because I think she is simply playing herself. She's BSC in real life so this role is perfect for her. Thank about all of the lines she's uttered that completely intersect with her real life. It's almost like this show is a near autobiography of her life.

And I love Billy Crudup's character in this.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Billy cruddup is amazing in this
Urban Ag
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

Billy cruddup is amazing in this
He was fantastic in both seasons.

That said, I don't see the point of even making S2. What was the point, story wise? Wife and I enjoyed the first season even though the subject and characters are a downer. We bailed somewhere in the middle of S2. No will to finish it.

85aggie777
AG
I enjoyed the series. Season 1 was better than Season 2 to me. While the story is intriguing and the acting excellent, I just come away thinking what awful, two-faced, back-stabbing characters they all are... to both co-workers and family. I guess it would not be interesting to watch otherwise.
TCTTS
AG
Season two is one of the most baffling seasons of television I've ever seen. The whole Covid thing is just dumb, dumb, dumb. That said, they've got a whole new creative team handling season three, and without the Covid of it all, I'll at least give it a chance.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.