Best Western Novel?

4,554 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by NASAg03
rynning
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I saw the Lonesome Dove thread and thought I'd start this one.

A couple of years ago I decided to read Lonesome Dove as my first western novel and loved it. (Saw and liked the mini series after that.) Then I read The Son which was more recent and acclaimed and also very good. But I stopped there.

Any other recommendations for western novels?
Liquid Wrench
Haven't read enough to call any one the best, but I'll throw out an under-appreciated author: Giles Lutz. I somehow came across a copy his book "The Honyocker" and thought it was a great example of tight and compact writing (minus a couple typos that an editor should have caught).
Claude!
Blood Meridian.

Probably not what you had in mind, though.
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

Probably not what you had in mind, though.

Why not? It wasn't just a gore-fest, it had some genuine basis in the brutal clashes between Indian scouts and native warriors. I'm still waiting for someone to write a good book or screenplay about Fort Leaton.
OldArmy71
AG
Shane

The Ox-Bow Incident
PatAg
AG
I'm more of a Marriott man myself.
PatAg
AG
Louis L'Amour has a lot of entertaining shorter western stories, mostly about a family called the Sackett's. I imagine he could have combined a few of those stories in a larger novel if he wanted.

B
Cancelled
AG
No Country for Old Men
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I prefer Marriott novels.
JABQ04
AG
Any of the Lonesome Dove Novels. (Dead Mans Walk, Comanche Moon, Streets of Laredo)

I'm also partial to Charles Portis' "True Grit"
TCTTS
AG
Stive
AG
I love Louis Lamour (I've read all 100+ of his novels and most of them multiple times) but they're pretty generic and kind of the John Wayne movies of western novels. Most of them are fairly formulaic and structured the same way with a few really good exceptions built in (Last of the Breed, Walking Drum and High Lonesome come to mind but the first two aren't westerns).

I REALLY need to read Blood Meridian and NCFOM; been meaning to do that for years.

Lonesome Dove (the novel) was fantastic but it's been 25 years since I read it. Never read any of the others in the series.

Following because I'd like to read another awesome new book during down time in December.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That was the best acting I've ever seen in my whole life.
Spore Ag
Started reading Elmer Kelton. Liked the Time is Never Rained
AggieChemist
AG
Stive said:

I love Louis Lamour (I've read all 100+ of his novels and most of them multiple times) but they're pretty generic and kind of the John Wayne movies of western novels. Most of them are fairly formulaic and structured the same way with a few really good exceptions built in (Last of the Breed, Walking Drum and High Lonesome come to mind but the first two aren't westerns).

I REALLY need to read Blood Meridian and NCFOM; been meaning to do that for years.

Lonesome Dove (the novel) was fantastic but it's been 25 years since I read it. Never read any of the others in the series.

Following because I'd like to read another awesome new book during down time in December.
Blood Meridian is great if you can get past the complete lack of adherence to any accepted style of the written English language.
bluefire579
AG
AggieChemist said:

Stive said:

Blood Meridian is great if you can get past the complete lack of adherence to any accepted style of the written English language.
You mean like every Cormac McCarthy novel ever?
OldArmy71
AG

Quote:

I'm also partial to Charles Portis' "True Grit"

Forgot about this one. Excellent choice.
Gomer95
AG
I read the original novel of The Searchers and it was great! Some different things in it obviously than the movie which is one of my favorite Western movies ever.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Hank the Cowdog.
LayeredTrout
AG
The Revenant (book) was great.
redline248
AG
What movie is that Leo gif from?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

I'm a little taken aback that any EB poster would not realize what it was. Tarantino, Leo, Pitt?
redline248
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

I'm a little taken aback that any EB poster would not realize what it was. Tarantino, Leo, Pitt?
I was going to guess that's what it was, but I haven't seen it yet. Is it a western?

I don't get out to the movies nearly as often as I'd like, so I have to save my trips for Star Wars, Marvel, etc. Probably going to Frozen 2, soon, though. Daughter is turning 7 this weekend.
SgtBarbarossa
jkag89
Doc: A Novel & Epitaph: A Novel of the O.K. Corral by Mary Doria Russell
bonfarr
AG
I loved True Grit and have re-read it many times over the years

PatAg
AG
Stive said:

I still hold out hope to see a Walking Drum movie/TV show some day.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's about an actor who does Westerns. Technically, it is a Western for about 15 minutes.
Stive
AG
That would be pretty cool. Could make for a solid HBO mini-series.
07ag
AG
rynning said:

I saw the Lonesome Dove thread and thought I'd start this one.

A couple of years ago I decided to read Lonesome Dove as my first western novel and loved it. (Saw and liked the mini series after that.) Then I read The Son which was more recent and acclaimed and also very good. But I stopped there.

Any other recommendations for western novels?
started with lonesome dove? all downhill from there
https://ts.la/eric59704
Jab
AG
The Border Trilogy by Cormac McCarthy is pretty damn good as well. I consider it a more traditional western than Blood Meridian.
oldarmy76
Huge fan of Elmer kelton. Every one I've read is unique and can be slightly grittier with more realistic characters than louis lamour(of whom Ive read every book probably 5-10 times).
The time it never rained is 1950s west Texas. The day the cowboys quit. The sons of Texas series and so many more.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Barbarossa said:

The Grandaddy of 'em all. GREAT book.
Some that I haven't seen mentioned:
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. Never bothered with the movie but the book is very very good

The Sisters Brothers. This one is a strange read...in a great way. It's absolutely riveting but it's quirky and kinda weird at times. Pretty funny at others. I HIGHLY recommend it though.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.