Is Die Hard a Christmas movie?

1,633 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Cinco Ranch Aggie
HoustonAg2106
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Asking for a friend...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
https://texags.com/forums/12/topics/2706715
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
It's genius is what it is.

Set your movie at Christmas and you'll continue cashing in on DVD sales every November/December for over 30 years?

Now I have a machine gun. Ho-Ho-Ho.
Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.

Steve McQueen
Bruce Almighty
AG
Is this the earliest we've had this thread? It's not even Thanksgiving yet.
chipotle
The general consensus is yes.
HoustonAg2106
AG
So is Lethal Weapon also a Christmas movie?
Bruce Almighty
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

And Iron Man 3 and Batman Returns
double aught
AG
If it means I can watch it every December, then yes it's a Christmas movie.

Yippee-ki-yay!
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
double aught
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

https://texags.com/forums/12/topics/2706715
General board. Best to avoid that place.
Prosperdick
AG
Well the weather outside is frightful...dum dee dum delightful.
Liquid Wrench
This thread is as fresh as the Sopranos one a couple rows down.
HoustonAg2106
AG
C@LAg said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

No idea. I can't recall it since it's been almost 20 years since I've likely seen it

AgfromHOU
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

And Iron Man 3 and Batman Returns

And Shazam! (looks for a lightning bolt)
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
nai06
AG
no its not. At least it was never intended to be. Its a movie that happens to be set at Christmas time.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I consider it to be a Christmas movie. I include it in my annual Christmas movie watching marathon along with movies like A Christmas Story, Christmas Vacation, and It's a Wonderful Life. On occasion I've included Lethal Weapon but I've never watched movies like Iron Man 3 or Batman Returns at Christmas, mostly because I just didn't enjoy those movies as much and don't associate them with Christmas.

Die Hard is set on Christmas Eve. Now I have a machine gun, Ho-Ho-Ho
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
No Home Alone?
jr15aggie
AG
Look, it's not a matter of opinion... Santa doesn't get in his slay until Hans Gruber falls off Nakatomi Tower.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

No Home Alone?
Yeah, that one is on the list as well.
nai06
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

I consider it to be a Christmas movie. I include it in my annual Christmas movie watching marathon along with movies like A Christmas Story, Christmas Vacation, and It's a Wonderful Life. On occasion I've included Lethal Weapon but I've never watched movies like Iron Man 3 or Batman Returns at Christmas, mostly because I just didn't enjoy those movies as much and don't associate them with Christmas.

Here's why I believe its not Christmas movie.

Bruce Willis said it wasn't a Christmas movie

People don't only watch it during Christmas time. Its good to watch all year round. You don't really see people watching Its a Wonderful Life or a Christmas Story in July.

Speaking o f July, that's when Die Hard was released. Had it been intended to be a Christmas movie it would have been released sometime in November or December, not the middle of the summer

Christmas isn't central to the plot. The movie doesn't explore traditional Christmas themes and you could change the the Christmas Party to a staff meeting and it wouldn't change anything about the plot. One of the writers, Steven de Souza inadvertently proved this point when he revealed that the original version was set to be a Purim party which takes place in March. The studio rejected the Puriim concept so it was changed to Christmas. Christmas is inconsequential to the overall plot and theme to the movie
AustinAg2K
You're wrong.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
He's actually 100% right.
rhutton125
AG
This **** again
boy09
AG
Prosperdick
AG
nai06 said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

People don't only watch it during Christmas time. Its good to watch all year round. You don't really see people watching Its a Wonderful Life or a Christmas Story in July.

Speaking o f July, that's when Die Hard was released. Had it been intended to be a Christmas movie it would have been released sometime in November or December, not the middle of the summer

Christmas isn't central to the plot. The movie doesn't explore traditional Christmas themes and you could change the the Christmas Party to a staff meeting and it wouldn't change anything about the plot. One of the writers, Steven de Souza inadvertently proved this point when he revealed that the original version was set to be a Purim party which takes place in March. The studio rejected the Puriim concept so it was changed to Christmas. Christmas is inconsequential to the overall plot and theme to the movie
  • Christmas gift (Rolex) is the reason Hans falls from the tower
  • Christmas tape is the reason John is able to conceal his gun on his back
  • Christmas holidays is the only reason John is in LA to try to reconnect with his wife
If it wasn't for Christmas Hans Gruber would be sitting on a beach right now earning 20%.
Urban Ag
AG
Only an evil Japanese multi-national would hold an office party on Christmas Eve.

You got what you deserved Takagi.

Urban Ag
AG
I actually have this sweater

Bruce Almighty
AG
I don't think its a Christmas movie for two primary reasons. First, taking place at Christmas is really just a minor plot point. It could have been Takagi's birthday party and it would be basically the same movie. There would be some minor changes, but not enough to drastically change things. Second, I watch Christmas movies during the Christmas season. As much as I love Christmas Vacation and A Christmas Story, I never watch those outside of the Christmas season. Die Hard is a movie that I will watch any time of the year, just like Lethal Weapon, Batman Returns or Iron Man 3. Die Hard is an action movie that takes place during Christmas. If it took place during Halloween, I wouldn't consider it a Halloween movie.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
nai06 said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

All of that is accurate. It doesn't change my opinion, not that I believe you are attempting to sway me or anyone here.

Christmas is not central to the film's plot, true. Regardless of how Christmas was injected into the movie, it is a background element in the movie. There are references to Christmas throughout the movie. At one point Holly tells her kid not to go snooping around for presents. That's not going to be in a movie with no Christmas imagery or background. Some of the points made earlier - Christmas tape allowing McClane to hide the gun, the Rolex, etc, are also there because of Christmas. Sure, the tape could have been just packing tape. Sure, it could have been Takagi's birthday party. Would McClane have taken a trip to LA to celebrate the birthday of his wife's employer? Unlikely.

And yes, the movie could have come out at any time of the year and worked just fine. As you point out, it came out in July 1988, so obviously a Christmas movie in July works. (Ask anyone here with one of those wives that loves watching Hallmark Channel movies that feature Christmas stories, usually airing in the dead of summer - these have an audience).

The movie works for me as a Christmas movie. It's certainly not a traditional Christmas movie, but then neither is Bad Santa, yet I still enjoy watching that one (not with the family).
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.