Potentially the worst idea for a remake - Princess Bride

5,563 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by LeonardSkinner
RAB91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
You don't mess with perfection...

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
As long as BTTF remains untouched.
Dallasag02
AG
hph6203
AG
Who is The Rock gonna play?
PatAg
AG
I don't know where I read or heard it, but someone said remakes are fine, but they need to be for movies that weren't good or the finished product just didnt come out right.
Al Bula
AG
Look for this to be a quaint little flick about immigration and an evil orange Humperdinck building a wall to keep out the Gilder peoples from Florin.
bluefire579
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

As long as BTTF remains untouched.
As long as Robert Zemeckis is alive, you're good

As for the OP, I really hope they don't, but I'm not holding my breath.
Gigem314
AG
hph6203 said:

Who is The Rock gonna play?
If ya smeeeeeeeeell...what the Dread Pirate Roberts is cookin'
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
Robin Wright is obviously a beautiful woman but in the time of The Princess Bride, she was an absolute goddess. Incredibly gorgeous.
AtlAg05
AG
If you never see it, it doesn't exist.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Those "very famous" people can kindly go and fornicate themselves.
Prosperdick
AG

ETA - I DO know the meaning of that word, and it DOES mean what I think it means.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
Not a good idea IMHO.
agsquirrel97
AG
RAB91 said:

You don't mess with perfection...

Did you craft that tweet for Variety, person whose name I will not use?
jkag89
Know Your Enemy
AG
I'm just gonna say it. The Princess Bride sucked. It's one of the most overrated movies ever. You sheeple acting like it's some masterpiece need to be smacked.
chipotle
Junkhead said:

I'm just gonna say it. The Princess Bride sucked. It's one of the most overrated movies ever. You sheeple acting like it's some masterpiece need to be smacked.

JABQ04
AG
Junkhead said:

You're entitled to your opinion no matter how wrong it is.
bluefire579
AG
Junkhead said:

BQCadet
AG
I like how Jumanji did it. It wasn't a remake, but it took the core and made a new story with it. We need more of THAT
mazag08
AG
You don't mess with perfection.

That's why Howard the Duck has never been remade and the all female Ghostbusters was the flop of the century.
lespaul
AG
if they remake Princess Bride I'm snorting half a canoe of iocane powder
Prosperdick
AG
Junkhead said:

agdoc2001
AG
Junkhead said:

Who hurt you?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Breggy Popup
AG
Yelnick McWawa said:

Robin Wright is obviously a beautiful woman but in the time of The Princess Bride, she was an absolute goddess. Incredibly gorgeous.

And *****nozzle Sean Penn was married to her for 14 years. Ick.
hph6203
AG
BQCadet said:

I like how Jumanji did it. It wasn't a remake, but it took the core and made a new story with it. We need more of THAT

There's a difference between remaking and extending a universe. The Princess Bride doesn't lend itself to an extension of the universe so there's no need to touch it. The Ghostbusters is an example of a film that could have been extended in a way that could be successful (the video game, for example, did an excellent job of extending the universe), but they decided they wanted to make a social component to it that didn't align with the original premise of the series. The original films were dry and comedic, I never saw the newest film because it was clear they went slapstick and had no intention of maintaining the dry humor of the original. It would be hard without Bill Murray and he has zero interest, even more so with the passing of Harold Ramis (despite their conflict, I think he respected Ramis' work).

Back to the Future could be reimagined in a way that could be successful, but it would take an outsized amount of talent to recapture what happened in that film to do it successfully and the concept could be done without *******izing the original films. Might as well make an inspired film that has the same themes and ideas of the originals outside of that universe if you're going to do it.

I'm optimistic about the Bill and Ted film they're making.
AMW2010
AG
Another reason why Sony doesn't deserve Spider Man
DannyDuberstein
AG
It worked largely because of the cast and how perfect they were for it.

This is a laughable example of how empty the idea bag is.
Another Doug
AG
Quote:

Norman Lear's Princess Bride
Why does the EP get credit and not the writer and/or director?
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
So they are going to have to find someone else to play the "defiled" * Princess Buttercup?

* by Sean Penn
Gigem314
AG
Junkhead said:

Cancelled
AG
Never seen it...waiting for the remake.
watty
AG
I'm 99% sure a remake would be nowhere near as good as the original, as the original was one of the greatest movies ever made. That said, I'm also 100% sure I'd see the remake on opening weekend. I don't think remakes, no matter how good or bad, have any effect on the original. So I say go for it.
Azariah
AG
I will see your "The Princess Bride", and raise you "The Office".

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/09/the-office-reboot-nbcuinversal-streaming-platform-steve-carell-1202174971/
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
It's a cash grab.

So off the top of my head that would mean:

1. Script created by a committee of writers and producers with constant rewrites throughout the production.

2. Constant attempts at fan service while compromising the original formula and organic chemistry of the film in attempts to attract new audiances of vastly different demographic appeal.

3. Reimagining beloved characters to reflect contemporary trends in world view.

4. Casting actors that may not reflect the story's tone or be true to the original character but does reflect the virtue of ethnic and ideological diversity (despite being set in a fictional medieval European kingdom).

5. Casting off traditional archetypes in a story that is built on archetypes.

Is Rian Johnson directing?
Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.

Steve McQueen
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.