Mission Impossible - Fallout

7,259 Views | 80 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by GiveEmHellBill
SquirrellyDan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is there a massive prank going on with the ratings of this movie? 97% on rotten tomatoes, 4 stars from roger ebert, who calls it "one of the best movies of the year."

I watched 30 mins and could take no more. I enjoy well done cheesy action movies, this was not well done. What am I missing?
Wicked Good Ag
Is this an ad for Trolls 2??
Know Your Enemy
AG
Well Roger Ebert has been dead for about 5 years so I wouldn't trust any of his current movie reviews.
The Collective
AG
Boooo
oragator
First half of the movie is meh, it is ok but tries way too hard.
Second half has some of the best action sequences ever filmed.
Try again and hang in there,
SquirrellyDan
AG
Junkhead said:

Well Roger Ebert has been dead for about 5 years so I wouldn't trust any of his current movie reviews.

Lol some critic on his website, then.
RichardSplet
Yeah, the prank is that it's one of the best action movies in a long time.
TCTTS
AG
Would love to know what films the OP defines as "well done." Because it may not get more "well done" this. Easily one of the worst takes I've seen in quite some time.
rhutton125
AG
Other than some terrible acting between Henry Cavill and Angela Bassett, some bad Alec Baldwin fighting, and the unnecessary CGI storms during the Halo jump, this movie was just about perfect.
Bonfire1996
AG
Yeah, it was cheesy at the beginning but a metric shlt ton of fun for at least the last hour.
TCTTS
AG
What was cheesy at the beginning to some of you? The Wolf Blitzer stuff? Because that's one of the most brilliant scenes I've seen in I don't know long. Outside of that, I can't think of anything else that could be considered even remotely cheesy.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Maybe how much of an unnecessary jerk Henry Cavill's character was from the start? I do remember that being over-the-top ridiculous, though the action made up for it.
TCTTS
AG
I guess I can see that. It *is* a little awkward on the cargo plane, right before they jump, and then when they land on the roof of that party, but I guess I've rewatched it so many times I see what they were doing with all of that. I seriously think I've rewatched the movie itself four full times since my initial viewing, just over a year ago; a second time in the theater and then three times on Blu-ray. I don't think I've done that with any other movie in the past ten years or so. It's just sooooo good.
SquirrellyDan
AG
TCTTS said:

I guess I can see that. It *is* a little awkward on the cargo plane, right before they jump, and then when they land on the roof of that party, but I guess I've rewatched it so many times I see what they were doing with all of that. I seriously think I've rewatched the movie itself four full times since my initial viewing, just over a year ago; a second time in the theater and then three times on Blu-ray. I don't think I've done that with any other movie in the past ten years or so. It's just sooooo good.

I quit watching shortly after the halo jump. If that wasn't cheesy then I don't know what is.

Lots of fans in here I see....I'll give it another shot.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
SquirrellyDan said:

Is there a massive prank going on with the ratings of this movie? 97% on rotten tomatoes, 4 stars from roger ebert, who calls it "one of the best movies of the year."

I watched 30 mins and could take no more. I enjoy well done cheesy action movies, this was not well done. What am I missing?
spanky
AG
Go watch the latest Jurassic World movie and then you'll greatly appreciate Fallout
CyclingAg82
AG
TCTTS said:

Would love to know what films the OP defines as "well done." Because it may not get more "well done" this. Easily one of the worst takes I've seen in quite some time.
Wholeheartedly agree. It was a very well done movie.
PDWT_12
AG
Genuinely curious, do you like the other M:I movies? Particularly the last 2 (Ghost Protocol and Rogue Nation)? I'd say there's a certain amount of "cheesiness" involved in all the M:I movies (the masks, over the top dialogue at times, etc.) and I usually just consider it part of the charm. It doesn't bother me, especially when you remember it comes with all the amazing action sequences and stunt work by Cruise.

I mean, just for instance the HALO jump sequence you stopped at... Cruise practiced that for weeks in a wind tunnel with a broken ankle, then practiced doing the jump itself 106 times before they got the footage they needed for it.

He's an absolute crazy man and Scientology is pure evil, but I will watch every Mission: Impossible movie him and McQuarrie want to do together. Fallout is one of my favorite action movies of all time, I'd encourage you to give it another try if you can.
SquirrellyDan
AG
PDWT_12 said:

Genuinely curious, do you like the other M:I movies? Particularly the last 2 (Ghost Protocol and Rogue Nation)? I'd say there's a certain amount of "cheesiness" involved in all the M:I movies (the masks, over the top dialogue at times, etc.) and I usually just consider it part of the charm. It doesn't bother me, especially when you remember it comes with all the amazing action sequences and stunt work by Cruise.

I mean, just for instance the HALO jump sequence you stopped at... Cruise practiced that for weeks in a wind tunnel with a broken ankle, then practiced doing the jump itself 106 times before they got the footage they needed for it.

He's an absolute crazy man and Scientology is pure evil, but I will watch every Mission: Impossible movie him and McQuarrie want to do together. Fallout is one of my favorite action movies of all time, I'd encourage you to give it another try if you can.

I like the first two, but I was a kid when they came out. I don't know if I saw ghost protocol, but I have seen one of the more recent ones and thought it was horrible.

Different strokes for different folks, sorry if I offended anyone.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
TCTTS said:

I would love an answer to this question. I'd like to know what action movies the OP has seen that doesn't have some cheesy dialogue or acting. Its kinda baked into the genre as a breather for audiences. So I just need a baseline for what you think is good and not cheesy before I can understand why you really don't like this movie.
PDWT_12
AG
SquirrellyDan said:

Different strokes for different folks, sorry if I offended anyone.
No offense taken, people like what they like and judging from your username, we agree on at least one Canadian based TV show being awesome.

My advice... do not go back and watch the 2nd M:I as an adult. The cheese factor is off the charts in that one.
Aggies76
AG
PDWT_12 said:

Could not agree more. I've been a fan of MI since the TV series and think it's the best movie franchise out there. I bought into the "cheesiness" long ago.
rhutton125
AG
The CGI lightning kinda ruined the Halo jump for me. It's a technically impressive feat, but it doesn't look like it, because my brain can't help but think "this looks fake" throughout.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
the doves....i just can't handle it. John Woo at his most John Woo.
Ferg
rhutton125 said:

The CGI lightning kinda ruined the Halo jump for me. It's a technically impressive feat, but it doesn't look like it, because my brain can't help but think "this looks fake" throughout.
Cruise did over 100 jumps to film that sequence.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
MI2 is cheesy awesomeness. Just like Face/Off.
spag.ag2003
AG
OP went overboard but I definitely think it's a bit overrated (and I love the MI series, especially the films by McQuarrie).

I think the movie gets too big of a perception boost because Cruise does the stunts - if it was just a stuntman doing this stuff I don't think it plays as well. Impressive as hell that Cruise does this stuff but I try and judge what's on the screen regardless of how the filmmakers and actors/crew achieved it.

Also, I just don't like Henry Cavill as an actor for some reason and he brings it down for me.
rhutton125
AG
Ferg said:

rhutton125 said:

Cruise did over 100 jumps to film that sequence.

I know - that's why it bothers me that there's a CGI storm on top. You could have filmed the whole thing in front of a green screen and my brain wouldn't have known the difference.

The 100 jumps is like a neat trivia thing - but to me, it didn't really translate to on-screen impressiveness. If that makes sense.
Quad Dog
AG
The storm does look make it a little over the top in this side by side. Still a crazy impressive shot though. Feels like they didn't need the additional threat of a storm.
Bones08
AG
veryfuller said:

the doves....i just can't handle it. John Woo at his most John Woo.
I'm a huge Mission Impossible fan. The new movies are absolutely fantastic. But I'm not sure anything in the series will ever top this scene in MI2:

The scene makes absolutely no sense. None at all. It is peak cheesiness. And yet I think it totally badass.

And of course there are doves at the end.
SquirrellyDan
AG
veryfuller said:

TCTTS said:

I would love an answer to this question. I'd like to know what action movies the OP has seen that doesn't have some cheesy dialogue or acting. Its kinda baked into the genre as a breather for audiences. So I just need a baseline for what you think is good and not cheesy before I can understand why you really don't like this movie.

Like I said, I quit after the halo jump. It wasnt good to me at all. I'll admit I didn't know cruise did his own stunts, doesn't really mean anything to me. The whole oxygen thing, the foggy mask, the landing ...bad. I'll give the whole movie another shot, sounds like it gets better after the first hour.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
I get that. I just want to know the movies that you like so I can understand your baseline.
FTACO97
AG
veryfuller said:

I get that. I just want to know the movies that you like so I can understand your baseline.
Clearly he doesn't want to admit what he does like
SquirrellyDan
AG
FTACO97 said:

veryfuller said:

Clearly he doesn't want to admit what he does like

Lol I don't mind...we are debating opinions here, nothing to worry about. For fairly recent movies, I like the Bourne movies, the Nolan bat man movies, John wick movies.

But I prefer 90s / early 2000s cheese:

True Lies, the rock, con air are probably my favorites. Also 3000 to Graceland. Again, just opinions.
TCTTS
AG
spag.ag2003 said:

OP went overboard but I definitely think it's a bit overrated (and I love the MI series, especially the films by McQuarrie).

I think the movie gets too big of a perception boost because Cruise does the stunts - if it was just a stuntman doing this stuff I don't think it plays as well. Impressive as hell that Cruise does this stuff but I try and judge what's on the screen regardless of how the filmmakers and actors/crew achieved it.

Also, I just don't like Henry Cavill as an actor for some reason and he brings it down for me.

Disagree completely. The story itself is so damn good. The two big fake-outs, in particular, are just masterful, IMO. The aforementioned Wolf Blitzer fake out is one of my favorite gags of the entire series, and the way it ends with Cruise defiantly proclaiming, "What's done is done when we say it's done" - and then boom, cutting to the opening credits - is just flat out exhilarating. Then the whole set up with Cavill's character saying, on the cargo plane, re: the masks, "People really fall for this sh*t?" and then he himself later falling for "this sh*t" when Benji is masked as Lane - I have a huge grin on my face every single time I watch that scene. The set-up/pay-off is phenomenal. I love the way Hunt is challenged in this movie, I love the way Vanessa Kirby and Rebecca Ferguson play into the plot, and that final act is legitimately one of the greatest feats of action ever put to screen. It's just an astonishing crescendo to a relentless, breakneck plot.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.