Is Disney killing Star Wars?

12,741 Views | 161 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Urban Ag
bangobango
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS said:

I would love nothing more - if only because the endless snark and complaining is going to be unbearable in the lead up (and I'm as guilty as anyone) - but I'm afraid they're happening.

How many years before they even start doing anything with it? If Kennedy is still in charge them maybe he stays on, but I would put her chances of sticking around past episode nine pretty slim. And even if she does stick around, I think they'll quietly usher Rian Johnson out the back door before any real work begins.
TCTTS
AG
I honestly have no idea. I always assumed Lucasfilm would take 2020 off and give audiences a breather, but then either Johnson's trilogy or Benioff & Weiss' trilogy would start in 2021. Because Johnson's trilogy was announced first, and he's not only talked about being in the outline process multiple times since then, but months ago said he was going to be writing after he finished his latest movie, Knives Out (which is basically done), I always assumed his trilogy would go first. So it was a surprise to me that Lucasfilm announced B&W's trilogy first, for 2022, and implied that no other movies would be released before then. That would put the first installment of Johsnon's trilogy in 2023 at the earliest, which is FOUR years away. I've never heard of anyone writing a movie like this that far in advance, and even if he was meticulously planning all three movie out, it would still be early. Yet, here we are, with Johnson giving an interview as late as this week saying it's still happening. Maybe signs *do* point to Lucasfilm just kind of stalling on Johnson until they let the whole thing fizzle. But on the other hand, his trilogy was announced seemingly ages ago, and they've had every (legit) opportunity in the world to cancel it since then but haven't. I don't understand any of it, frankly. The whole situation is bizarre.
bluefire579
AG
TCTTS said:

I honestly have no idea. I always assumed Lucasfilm would take 2020 off and give audiences a breather, but then either Johnson's trilogy or Benioff & Weiss' trilogy would start in 2021. Because Johnson's trilogy was announced first, and he's not only talked about being in the outline process multiple times since then, but months ago said he was going to be writing after he finished his latest movie, Knives Out (which is basically done), I always assumed his trilogy would go first. So it was a surprise to me that Lucasfilm announced B&W's trilogy first, for 2022, and implied that no other movies would be released before then. That would put the first installment of Johsnon's trilogy in 2023 at the earliest, which is FOUR years away. I've never heard of anyone writing a movie like this that far in advance, and even if he was meticulously planning all three movie out, it would still be early. Yet, here we are, with Johnson giving an interview as late as this week saying it's still happening. Maybe signs *do* point to Lucasfilm just kind of stalling on Johnson until they let the whole thing fizzle. But on the other hand, his trilogy was announced seemingly ages ago, and they've had every (legit) opportunity in the world to cancel it since then but haven't. I don't understand any of it, frankly. The whole situation is bizarre.
I think with Disney+, we'll see the focus on the Mandalorian, and potentially the Obi-Wan series that's been teased in the past couple of days. They'll allow the box office to cool down a little after Episode 9, focusing on the small screen, working on some shows while they let the movies they're working on incubate a bit.

I do look forward to them moving away from the Skywalker saga. I think that for Star Wars to succeed moving forward, they need to move away from that, and really focus on the other things that made the EU great.
pfo
AG
The one Opie from Andy Griffith came in and finished was awful.

Since Disney owns them now I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see a cartoon remake of Darth Vader and the 7 Dwarfs and a My Little Jar Jar Binks Mermaid movie.

Disney doesn't have a clue about Star Wars. I hope the next Hans Solo isn't a transgender using paper straws to save Alderan from global warming!
Aggie_Journalist
AG
I have zero confidence in the GoT writers' ability to come up with great original content. Once they got beyond GRRM's books, GoT got bad fast. Star Wars could easily go the way of the DCU in their hands.

As for Star Wars' troubles, it just shows how much damage a truly terrible tentpole movie can do to a franchise. TLJ might be the worst movie I've ever seen in theaters, and I nearly skipped Solo, which was very fun, because of it. Given how many people bought tickets to TLJ, it'll be hard to win those folks back.

I'm hopeful for Episode 9 with JJ Abrams back at the helm (I'm in the club that loves Episode 7), but besides that, I'm more interested in The Mandalorian than seeing what the GoT guys do in cinema.

I also hope we get a Solo sequel or two someday.
Thanks and gig'em
G Martin 87
AG
Quote:

TLJ might be the worst movie I've ever seen in theaters
Now, I hate TLJ too, but you either have a really small sample size or you need to sit through London Fields. Holy cow, that was legitimately one of the worst movies I've ever seen in a theater. (And I'm a fan of the book, so I knew what I was getting into.) TLJ isn't that bad.
Bruce Almighty
AG
G Martin 87 said:

Quote:

Now, I hate TLJ too, but you either have a really small sample size or you need to sit through London Fields. Holy cow, that was legitimately one of the worst movies I've ever seen in a theater. (And I'm a fan of the book, so I knew what I was getting into.) TLJ isn't that bad.
Hard to take anyone serious when they say something like TLJ being the worst movie ever seen in a theater. Its a bad movie, but there are thousands that are worse.
Madmarttigan
AG
G Martin 87 said:

Quote:

Let me modify the statement for him to what I think he means. TLJ is the most disappointing film he has ever seen in theaters. It's definitely up there as far as disappointment/dissatisfaction, only other things that compete with it in my mind are the hobbit 2 and 3.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
You guys clearly don't have kids and take them to see kid movies if you think TLJ is the worst movie ever.

Go see Rockdog next time you think you've seen the worst movie ever.

Belton Ag
AG
Sorry Muck but Rockdog was more enjoyable than TLJ. Rockdog was fun to watch from start to finish, where TLJ was frustrating from start to finish.

Going back to the Disney thing, I'm beginning to wonder if there is a diminishing returns effect for both consumers and Disney the more they expand. Pixar, Marvel Studios, Disney Animation Studios, Fox, Walt Disney Pictures... it's a ton to keep track of. I think consumers are innately suspicious of companies that control this much of the market and that a large portion will stay at home or spend their money elsewhere. I wouldn't be surprised to see a reverse trend where Disney sells off a lot of these assets over the next few years, or that some of the studios become defunct.
Saxsoon
AG
Belton Ag said:

Sorry Muck but Rockdog was more enjoyable than TLJ. Rockdog was fun to watch from start to finish, where TLJ was frustrating from start to finish.

Going back to the Disney thing, I'm beginning to wonder if there is a diminishing returns effect for both consumers and Disney the more they expand. Pixar, Marvel Studios, Disney Animation Studios, Fox, Walt Disney Pictures... it's a ton to keep track of. I think consumers are innately suspicious of companies that control this much of the market and that a large portion will stay at home or spend their money elsewhere. I wouldn't be surprised to see a reverse trend where Disney sells off a lot of these assets over the next few years, or that some of the studios become defunct.

I guarantee most of the world is not even aware that Disney purchased fox
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
Aggie_Journalist
AG
tv1113 said:

G Martin 87 said:

Quote:

Let me modify the statement for him to what I think he means. TLJ is the most disappointing film he has ever seen in theaters. It's definitely up there as far as disappointment/dissatisfaction, only other things that compete with it in my mind are the hobbit 2 and 3.

Thank you, this is good clarification. I can't think of a more more disappointing film I've seen in theaters, and that disappointment factors heavily into how bad of a movie I consider it to be.
Thanks and gig'em
G Martin 87
AG
Yes, I'll agree 100% with that. Prometheus was close in terms of disappointment given the expectations, but TLJ blew past that at .5 past light speed for me.
MaroonStain
AG
Disney killed Star Wars the moment that Adam Driver walked onto the set.
"Thanks and Gig'em"
Flashdiaz
AG
MaroonStain said:

Trollin trollin Trollin...
The Debt
Flashdiaz said:

MaroonStain said:

Trollin trollin Trollin...

He is a fk-ugly dude and doesnt do much for the role. Then again they shouldn't have a sequel trilogy centered on a Solo son with granddaddy issues.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Kylos story line is the only one i care to see. Nothing else matters. And i dont go to movies to see good or bad looking guys.
The Debt
When he took off his helmet in TFA this is all I could think

TXAG 05
AG
Aggie_Journalist said:

tv1113 said:

G Martin 87 said:

Quote:

Thank you, this is good clarification. I can't think of a more more disappointing film I've seen in theaters, and that disappointment factors heavily into how bad of a movie I consider it to be.

Phantom Menace was by far more disappointing. After waiting most of my life for more Star Wars, plus all the hype, to be given that turd was just terrible.
bearamedic99
AG
This could be an emotional and pointless debate over which was the bigger turd/let down at its time, PM versus TLJ.

That's a tough call but it comes down to, I'm willing to sit thru another viewing of PM but reluctant to do the same with TLJ
Madmarttigan
AG
Phantom menace had Duel of the Fates. Arguably one of John William's best songs and the best lightsaber duel of the entire series.

TLJ had no redeeming moments at all. The outcome of the throne room fight kind of ruined the fun of it. Didn't even matter that they teamed up.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Can we rename this thread Star Wars: Johnny Raincloud edition?

Urban Ag
AG
well done

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.