What is the next big thing in movies going to be?

7,545 Views | 82 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Fat Bib Fortuna
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Why do you NEVER directly reply to someone? It's so ******* confusing and borders on cowardice. I assume you're talking to me, so I'll answer by quoting you from earlier - "I'll take things I never said for $400, Alex." The Little Mermaid will no doubt be a massive success. I said that another, original mermaid movie NOT based on The Little Mermaid - but covering the same, basic ground - would likely bomb in today's climate. In the same paragraph talking about IP. Clearly, your reading comprehension is lacking, which is no surprise.
The Debt
Well it comes down to "playing by the rules." Staff has said multiple times we ought not reply to one another. Therefore I do not hit the reply button...to you. Everyone else I gladly reply.

If you think it's hard tracking one topic, try replying to four.

Let's backtrack here. I said "make original films with black talent." You said "it's too risky financially." I provided a film that was made on a relatively small budget that is profitable

I dont buy this idea that a film has to have a $50mil budget to tell a good story or have good production value. Character-driven stories dont need Aquaman-level CGI.

Thus, it smells like you are just making excuses why there isn't more black/African narratives being made into films.
Liquid Wrench
Is expresswrittenconsent your sock?
TCTTS
AG
I legit don't even know what you're talking about anymore. I didn't say any of that. I was clearly talking about big-budget blockbusters, since that's the topic of this thread and... what we're obviously talking about. What I said was that it's too risky to make ORIGINAL blockbusters, no matter the color of the lead. Not that it's too risky to make black movies. That doesn't even make sense, as there are tons that make money all the time. At this point, the only way you can "win" a conversation is to literally make sh*t up, so I guess this is expected, but good gosh you are impossible. That's twice now you've done the "let's review" thing and then just completely misrepresented all that was said. It's exhausting.
TCTTS
AG
And if staff wants to ban me for speaking directly to you, fine. But people like you - and all the racist, stereotypical, blowhard nonsense you're always going on and on about - is why this board has become so increasingly unbearable at times, and I'm going to do what I can to combat it when I see it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
There's so many race debates going on in so many threads, I can't keep track of them all.
TCTTS
AG
Exactly.
John Matrix
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

There's so many race debates going on in so many threads, I can't keep track of them all.

This thread sucks now. Let's get it back on track. The Last Jedi is the best Star Wars film of all time and everyone who hates it is dumb. Ok, now we can ***** about movies the way god intended it before this thread was forum 16ed.
The Debt
Sorry bud, you're spewing bullsht.

Frozen cost $180m
Wreck it Ralph cost $165m
Coco cost $175m

None of these are established storylines with built in audiences. They were brand new IP introduced to audiences. $100m+ investment is hardly playing it safe. Every.single.one of these examples cost more than Aquaman.

Sorry, not buying it.
TCTTS
AG
Are you talking me? I assume so, and if so - those aren't purely "original" movies. They're DISNEY movies. Disney is the brand/franchise. Pixar is the brand/franchise. They're dependable brand names that people trust. Not even in the same ballpark as a truly original blockbuster with real actors, locations, etc. I don't even know why you're suddenly taking about animation now.
Fat Bib Fortuna
This board really needs its own Thunderdome. Once a month we all congregate at G. Rollie White (if it still exists, I really don't know) - Two posters enter, one poster leaves.

TCTTS
AG
On my way...

jeffk
AG
They tore down G. Rollie like 10 years ago.
Fat Bib Fortuna
I saw Kurt Thomas set the SWC record for blocked shots in a game there in 1995 or so. 6 foot 9 post blocked 14 shots vs. a very bad A&M men's team.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.