The Shining - Jack Nicholson 1980

3,128 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by schmendeler
Cinco Ranch Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tonight I got one of the pleasures of being a dad - getting to share something of my youth with my own daughter. The Alamo Drafthouse in Katy had a one-night showing of The Shining, restored to 4K and with a soundtrack that sounded more awesome than ever I've heard it.

My daughter is 13. I've had to gauge when to show her these kind of movies, staring with things like Gremlins (too young when I let her watch that one) and Jurassic Park (perfectly timed) and moving on to far scarier tales like It or The Shining. So she had seen The Shining previously, but the TV simply cannot compare to the movie theater. She really enjoyed the movie, and told me when her favorite parts were coming up (for instance, Jack and Mr. Grady's red restroom conversation), or the only part she didn't really like (Jack killing Halloran, whatever his name was).

If you've ever been to one of these Alamo Drafthouse showings, you'll know they typically have someone come up to the front of the screen area and tell the audience something about the movie. So no different tonight, a gal comes up there and starts yammering about The Shining, and then drops something about Ewan MacGregor in a movie coming soon where he is portraying Danny Torrance all grown up, a sequel? WTF?
Noblemen06
AG
Probably an adaptation of Doctor Sleep
suburban cowboy
AG
Movie still scares the **** out of me
Sex Panther
AG
Noblemen06 said:

Probably an adaptation of Doctor Sleep

Correct
TXAG 05
AG
It is. Ewan is playing the grown up Danny. I read the book when it came out, nowhere near as good as the Shining, but it was ok. Supposedly coming out in November, you'd think there would be a trailer or something.
TCTTS
AG
Debuting at Comic-Con, apparently.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I cannot even remember the last book of King's that I read when it was newly published. Gerald's Game, perhaps. Never knew he had written a sequel.

The gal did mention a November release, come to think of it.
jr15aggie
AG
This is one of those movies I saw bits and pieces of as a kid (I think my grandpa had it on VHS and my dad would sometimes watch it when we went to visit). Never sat through the entire thing until last October when I decided I had to see it as part of my usual October scary movie watching.

Can't say I was a fan. What a strange movie. The best part was definitely the picture at the end, really wrapped it all up in a nice WTF blanket! But it was a nice touch and, for me, was the creepiest part of the movie.

And Jack was terrific obviously, man that guy could play a role!
schmendeler
AG
probably my favorite horror movie.

I enjoyed dr sleep as well!
Ag 11
AG
Ag 11
AG
Liquid Wrench

Quote:

If you've ever been to one of these Alamo Drafthouse showings,
They do some neat stuff, but they moved from like an hour away from me to...I don't, but it would be more than an hour now.

But it's probably a better location for you, so enjoy.
CapCityAg89
AG
I'm not judging, but couldn't imagine an R movie with my 17 year old daughter. It's funny how things evolve in different families but we still note if there'll be language at the start of the movie and I'm not sure when I'd even consider nudity.
Proposition Joe
One of the best horror movies of all time.

One of the worst adaptations of all time.
DG-Ag
AG
This thread is a perfect example of why I love the Entertainment board. I can always count on being pointed in the right direction for some new book, movie or TV show to enjoy. It also frequently reminds me of some of my all-time favorites to go back and enjoy again. Other than the Premium board, this is the only other TexAgs forum I visit. More than any other board, everyone here is generally helpful and polite.

So, I've put re-reading and re-watching The Shining on my summer list of things to do!
Cancelled
AG
Scariest movie I've ever seen. I wasn't scared of Jack running around with an axe - it was the other stuff.
Stive
AG
I'm admittedly a wimp on a lot of scary movies. That being said, this movie didn't scare me at all. I didn't see it until a few years ago and had heard about a lot of key parts through the years so I very well just could have been jaded.

I thought it was weird, disjointed, not scary, and it really just bored me.
WestAustinAg
AG
I get creeped out just looking at the Stanley hotel in Estes Park....whuh....
JR Ewingford
I don't understand the fascination with this movie, I didn't find it remotely scary.
HtownAg92
AG
Did you see it as a 5th grader with your babysitter? It was terrifying.

The twins
The river of blood
REDRUM
The axe to the chest
A ghost opening the cooler door
The maze
schmendeler
AG
I guess it depends on what you find scary. I don't care at all for the general level horror movies (Halloween, saw, final destination) because I don't find them scary. I don't generally find them scary because I have no empathy, or shared stakes with the characters, because usually, they are in their situation because they have done something really stupid that I would never do.

I find the shining and other well made (in my opinion) horror movies to be scary precisely because the characters aren't acting stupid, or doing things I would never do. other examples are "get out", or "hereditary", or "the excorcist".

edit: another one that I only saw in theaters, but still think of from time to time: Frailty
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I never found the movie to be scary, nor did my daughter.

When I first read the book, I think I was right about 11-12 years old, and it scared the crap out of me. The TV movie that was made some time in the 90s had a bit more fright to it than this original movie did, probably because it was closer to the actual book than this movie was.

The scariest movie I've ever seen is Alien. Saw it at 12, had nightmares for the next year or so, and even to this day, on occasion, I wake up in the middle of the night having had some dream with some critter ... whereby I typically think WTF and roll over to go back to sleep.

Others I consider to be particularly scary - The Exorcist, Paranormal Activity, Poltergeist, parts of Salem's Lot, and the idea of who's who in John Carpenter's The Thing. Movies like Halloween, Friday the 13th, Chucky, all that stuff, are laughable.
HtownAg92
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

I never found the movie to be scary, nor did my daughter.

When I first read the book, I think I was right about 11-12 years old, and it scared the crap out of me. The TV movie that was made some time in the 90s had a bit more fright to it than this original movie did, probably because it was closer to the actual book than this movie was.

The scariest movie I've ever seen is Alien. Saw it at 12, had nightmares for the next year or so, and even to this day, on occasion, I wake up in the middle of the night having had some dream with some critter ... whereby I typically think WTF and roll over to go back to sleep.

Others I consider to be particularly scary - The Exorcist, Paranormal Activity, Poltergeist, parts of Salem's Lot, and the idea of who's who in John Carpenter's The Thing. Movies like Halloween, Friday the 13th, Chucky, all that stuff, are laughable.
You hit the other one that scared me as a youngster - Alien. This time, I was the baby sitter, the kid went to sleep and the house had HBO. So I watched Alien by myself in the dark.
CajunAg97
AG
Still gives me chills

In my experience, there's no such thing as luck.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

So I watched Alien by myself in the dark.
I can imagine how that went.

I told my daughter about my dad taking me to see that movie, and I had little idea what it was about other than it was a monster movie. For some reason I recall expecting a monster akin to a Godzilla or something, but I watched the majority of that movie through my fingers. After the scene where the critter gets Harry Dean Stanton by dropping down on him from above, I decided I needed to go to the restroom. The theater where we saw it, Palms Twin in Sugar Land across from the Imperial Sugar Plant, was an old building even in 1979. In the restroom that particular night, there was a gaping hole in the ceiling. I don't think I have ever relieved myself so fast in my life.
SlobberKnock
AG

Curious how you explained this scene to her or was it too fast.....creepy as hell
Bruce Almighty
AG
Stive said:

I'm admittedly a wimp on a lot of scary movies. That being said, this movie didn't scare me at all. I didn't see it until a few years ago and had heard about a lot of key parts through the years so I very well just could have been jaded.

I thought it was weird, disjointed, not scary, and it really just bored me.

I agree. Loved the book, hate the movie.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's crazy how Kubrick made such a chilling and genuinely scary movie with just one death.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Including Halloween with Chucky and Friday the 13th.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Including Halloween with Chucky and Friday the 13th.
It's not meant as a slight. Halloween is one of my favorites, but I do not find it to be one bit scary. Never have.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Sounded like you were calling it "laughable" and put it on a similar level of quality as those other two. My mistake.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Funny thing is, that's how I feel about The Exorcist. I think it's a great movie, highly entertaining, and chilling, but not scary.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
The whole vomiting while head spinning is not what I'm talking about when I call that movie scary.

First, the entire thought of demons scares the crap out of me. Whether one believes in them or not, I'll just say that I met a preacher who came legally to the US from Africa, and the tales of exorcism that he told sent shivers down my spine.

But specifically to the movie, there are two scenes that stood out - one, a backlit human-like figure standing over the girl who was in her bed, and the other, it's kinda hard to describe, but early in the movie, the camera follows the mom into a darkened room; the area behind the doorway is blacker than the surrounding area, if that makes any sense. A total absense of light, as if they were showing us the malevolent presence that invaded that house.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Is this movie a sequel to Kubrick's movie, or an adaptation of the book?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.