Milli Vanilli

12,886 Views | 157 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by Stat Monitor Repairman
Bruce Almighty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think my first CD was the Lion King soundtrack.
T Durden
AG
Young MC - Stone Cold Rymin' is how I popped the CD cherry.

I think my first cassette was AC/DC - Dirty Deeds.
Rudyjax
AG
My first CD was....

Living Color Vivid

Cult of Personality is one of my all time favorite non Pearl Jam songs.
Philo B 93
My first cd was 2 cds: Use Your Illusions 1 and 2. I was on cassettes until then.

I have a decent playlist of 90s post grunge that I like. Bush, Everclear, Collective Soul, Soul Asylum, Greenday, Weezer, Matchbox 20, Big Head Todd, and so on. Good stuff.

I also dug "Blame it on the Ran" and never gave a **** who actually sang the song. I think it would sound cool done in a hard rock style. 62Strat - you wanna take lead on that project?

expresswrittenconsent
BHTodd - Sister Sweetly is a great ****ing album.

My first CD was ACDC Back in Black. Must have been xmas 89 because it was a gift and my younger sis got Janet Jackson rhythm nation 1814 at the same Christmas. I'm pretty sure I also got a giant boom box with a CD player on top and 2 tape decks.

Then I joined BMG music club to get 12 CDs for a penny. Had to upgrade from cassette to CD.
Counterpoint
AG
I think I got ALL the CD's yall are mentioning (yes even the old dance stuff and death metal stuff) from BMG and Columbia House.
Trident 88
AG
First album was Book of Dreams by the Steve Miller Band in 1977, which included Jet Airliner, Jungle Love, and Swingtown.

That is a pretty solid first buy for a pre-teen.
YouBet
AG
C@LAg said:

YouBet said:

My first CD purchase was Bon Jovi Slippery When Wet in 1986.

Come at me.
If I did, then YOU'D be slippery when wet.
Gross!
Rudyjax
AG
My first album:

91_Aggie
AG
I think my first "album" purchase was Cassette of Rush Power Windows.

My first CD was Queensryche Operation Mindcrime
Aust Ag
AG
This thread has now nothing to do whatsoever with topic
Funky Winkerbean
AG
My first album was Champagne Jam by the Atlanta Rhythm Section. Still solid today.
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
Rudyjax
AG
91_Aggie said:

I think my first "album" purchase was Cassette of Rush Power Windows.

My first CD was Queensryche Operation Mindcrime

First record : KissGene Simmons
First Cassette: Billy Joel Glass houses
First CD: Living Color Vivid

I'm thinking this right of passage no longer exsists for kids today.
mhayden
Living Colour was the band.

In Living Color was the Wayans TV show.
Rudyjax
AG
free_mhayden said:

Go it right above. May have gotten it wrong while drinking the other night.

Edit: No. I got it right both times.
Edit 2: Forgot the u. My bad.
Bruce Almighty
AG
It's a thread about Milli Vanilli. I'm impressed it stayed on topic as long as it did.
mhayden
Rudyjax said:

free_mhayden said:

Go it right above. May have gotten it wrong while drinking the other night.

Edit: No. I got it right both times.
Edit 2: Forgot the u. My bad.

That's embarrassing.

I was definitely aware my 5th CD, Bryan Adams, was Waking Up the Neighbours not Neighbors.
Aust Ag
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

It's a thread about Milli Vanilli. I'm impressed it stayed on topic as long as it did.
Agreed.

Goes to show how much people still look for music conversations, even about stupid Milli Vanill. I remember way back when, the Entertainment board used to be 50% music threads. Nowadays, there's usually just 1 or 2 on the 1st page, and it's usually about "older music". Says alot about what's being produced these days.
Rudyjax
AG
I'm a failure.

And I damn bought Cult of Personality after posting and didn't realIze.
A. Solzhenitsyn
Aust Ag said:

This thread has now nothing to do whatsoever with topic

WELCOME TO TEXAGS.COM.

I WILL BE YOUR GUIDE.
62strat
AG
Counterpoint said:

I think I got ALL the CD's yall are mentioning (yes even the old dance stuff and death metal stuff) from BMG and Columbia House.
Columbia house has carcass and morbid angel? I certainly don't remember that!
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
aTmAg
AG
To me, this is an example of how the Grammys are a joke. If it were just about the music, then they would have given Milli Vinilli's award to the ex-convicts who actually recorded the music. I would have respected that. But since Grammy's are really nothing more than a popularity contest designed to get people to watch an award show, they have to give it to people who bring viewers. The last thing they can do is give it to unknowns (even if they have real talent). So to pretend it's a real award, they have to claim it's about the "overall presentation/experience" and whatnot.
62strat
AG
aTmAg said:

To me, this is an example of how the Grammys are a joke. If it were just about the music, then they would have given Milli Vinilli's award to the ex-convicts who actually recorded the music. I would have respected that. But since Grammy's are really nothing more than a popularity contest designed to get people to watch an award show, they have to give it to people who bring viewers. The last thing they can do is give it to unknowns (even if they have real talent). So to pretend it's a real award, they have to claim it's about the "overall presentation/experience" and whatnot.
they give best songwriter Grammys all the time to writers who the public have no idea is.
My heart will go on, change the world, royals, from a distance... all given to the writer(s) of the song, not the famous person who sang it.

THen you have all the best country and pop songs, often the winner is an unknown writer.

I don't watch the Grammys, but I can only guess the 'singer' doesn't go up to accept, unless they were actually on the writing team right?
aTmAg
AG
62strat said:

aTmAg said:

they give best songwriter Grammys all the time to writers who the public have no idea is.
My heart will go on, change the world, royals, from a distance... all given to the writer(s) of the song, not the famous person who sang it.

THen you have all the best country and pop songs, often the winner is an unknown writer.

I don't watch the Grammys, but I can only guess the 'singer' doesn't go up to accept, unless they were actually on the writing team right?
They don't only give awards to the song writer. Song of the Year goes to song writer, Record of the Year goes to performing artist, producer, etc. There is also best male pop performance, best new artist (which is what Milli Vinilli won), etc.
expresswrittenconsent
The fact that you know they won "best new artist" and not songwriter of the year kind of invalidates your whole previous post ranting about the stupidity of the grammies.
62strat
AG
aTmAg said:

62strat said:

aTmAg said:

They don't only give awards to the song writer. Song of the Year goes to song writer, Record of the Year goes to performing artist, producer, etc. There is also best male pop performance, best new artist (which is what Milli Vinilli won), etc.
I know, but you're saying if it were about he music they'd give it to the songwriters. I'm telling you, for song of the year, they do.
aTmAg
AG
62strat said:

aTmAg said:

62strat said:

aTmAg said:

I know, but you're saying if it were about he music they'd give it to the songwriters. I'm telling you, for song of the year, they do.
I understand what you are saying. However, Milli Vinilli won best new artist though. So what I'm saying that if that award was about the music rather than some vague "general performance" criteria, then they would have granted it to the actual musicians. To me, a problem with pop today is that it's 90% hype and 10% talent. Sure you have the occasional Adelle who get there on talent alone, but that seems too rare nowadays.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I understand where aTm is coming from, but that brings up another problem. Should the real singers be awarded even though they were part of the lie?
aTmAg
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

I understand where aTm is coming from, but that brings up another problem. Should the real singers be awarded even though they were part of the lie?
Except for a few rare cases, it seems that most pop musicians are presenting themselves as something they are not. I saw an old video of Lady Gaga when she was a nobody. She was equally talented, but not yet ****ted up. Back when I was young, Cyndi Lauper and Madonna were basically twins. Madonna chose to do stuff like put out her Sex book where Lauper did not. Obviously, Madonna's career took off, and Lauper is a mere footnote. It seems that, unless you have Adelle or Celine Deon level talent, you have to do something outrageous to get noticed to get anywhere in pop. Lots of artists use auto-tune and tons of other production tricks to sound way better than they really do. It's all a lie of some sort. It just a matter of degree. How far does the lie gotta go before it becomes Grammy strip worthy?

My understanding from a Inside Edition (or something) segment I saw a long ass time ago was that the original Miilli Vinilli artists were ex-cons who basically had nothing. The producer somehow found them and recognized their talent. However, since they looked like younger versions of this:

Rather than this:

The producer paid them a small amount (they were just happy to be making music) and found the two front guys to sell the "brand". Yeah it was a lie, but it merely took their lie one step further than most other pop musicians.

I actually think the original Milli Vinilli songs were pretty damned good. I wish those guys were given an opportunity to make another album (maybe they were, and I am unaware). To me, the fact that their careers went nowhere, is a condemnation of the music buying public. The fact we buy albums when the musicians look like models, but not when they are ugly, shows us to be shallow. Another example is Heart (the group). They were selling albums when they were hot, but when one sister started getting fat, their sales slumped. Their music wasn't any worse. They just didn't look as good on music videos. To me, that is pathetic.

(BTW.. just in case anybody asks... I am not musician who failed to hit it big. The only music talent I have is the ability to whistle. I'm not sure why this trend annoys me. I'm glad I can be ugly as hell in my chosen industry. Otherwise, I'd be screwed.)

Rant over.
Rudyjax
AG
Don't be so naive.

Just kidding. That is my exact point.
A. Solzhenitsyn
Quote:

I actually think the original Milli Vinilli songs were pretty damned good. I wish those guys were given an opportunity to make another album (maybe they were, and I am unaware). To me, the fact that their careers went nowhere, is a condemnation of the music buying public. The fact we buy albums when the musicians look like models, but not when they are ugly, shows us to be shallow. Another example is Heart (the group). They were selling albums when they were hot, but when one sister started getting fat, their sales slumped. Their music wasn't any worse. They just didn't look as good on music videos. To me, that is pathetic.

(BTW.. just in case anybody asks... I am not musician who failed to hit it big. The only music talent I have is the ability to whistle. I'm not sure why this trend annoys me. I'm glad I can be ugly as hell in my chosen industry. Otherwise, I'd be screwed.)

Rant over.

It's like video killed the radio star, man.
62strat
AG
aTmAg said:

62strat said:

aTmAg said:

62strat said:

aTmAg said:

I understand what you are saying. However, Milli Vinilli won best new artist though. So what I'm saying that if that award was about the music rather than some vague "general performance" criteria, then they would have granted it to the actual musicians. To me, a problem with pop today is that it's 90% hype and 10% talent. Sure you have the occasional Adelle who get there on talent alone, but that seems too rare nowadays.
They won best new artist, because those two guys were the 'artists'. The songwriter behind the scenes is not the artist. I mean, looking up a best new artist - Meghan Trainor. Every song on her album was written by her and the producer, kevin kadish. Did he get a share in that grammy? No, because he's not the artist. Leann Rhimes won best new artist, and her first album didn't have one song written by her.. but only she won the grammy.

You're not making any sense.

There is only ONE grammy that goes solely to the song writers, it's song of the year. Record of the year goes to artist and production team, album of year goes to artist and production team, and best new artist is solely for the artist, aka the singer/band.

If milli vanilli won song of the year, you'd have an argument here, but they didn't. If that song won song of the year, then those dudes would have received a grammy. But it didn't win song of the year.
aTmAg
AG
62strat said:

aTmAg said:

62strat said:

aTmAg said:

62strat said:

aTmAg said:

They won best new artist, because those two guys were the 'artists'. The songwriter behind the scenes is not the artist. I mean, looking up a best new artist - Meghan Trainor. Every song on her album was written by her and the producer, kevin kadish. Did he get a share in that grammy? No, because he's not the artist. Leann Rhimes won best new artist, and her first album didn't have one song written by her.. but only she won the grammy.

You're not making any sense.

There is only ONE grammy that goes solely to the song writers, it's song of the year. Record of the year goes to artist and production team, album of year goes to artist and production team, and best new artist is solely for the artist, aka the singer/band.

If milli vanilli won song of the year, you'd have an argument here, but they didn't. If that song won song of the year, then those dudes would have received a grammy. But it didn't win song of the year.
Which further supports my point that the Grammys (really music industry as a whole) is a joke. Get somebody smoking hot who can perhaps sing okay, have them "record" an album with the help of auto-tune and a crap load of sound engineers to make it sound decent, teach them to dance and dress provocatively and take it to the road. Have them perform to pre-recorded versions of their songs and shallow fans will eat that up. If they hit it big enough, they likely win a Grammy.

Take most Grammy winners (not all) and change 1 thing: Make them butt ugly... and they would not be Grammy winners, because barely anybody would know their name.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
First CD's:

Backstreet Boys - Backstreet Boys
Limp Bizkit - Significant Other
Smash Mouth - Astro Lounge
Blink 182 - Enema of the State
Bloodhound Gang - Hooray for Boobies

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.