Office Space- An Oral History

3,710 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by True Anomaly
jackie childs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is a long read, but The Ringer's Oral History on Office Space is pretty awesome.

https://www.theringer.com/movies/2019/2/19/18228673/office-space-oral-history
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I always forget Jennifer Aniston is in that movie.
Mike Elko
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I always forget Jennifer Aniston is in that movie.
Lumbergh showed her his "Ohhh!" face.

Dr.Rumack
An Aniston interview would have been nice to see. Long read but a good one if you're a fan.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Favorite comedy of all time.
Tobias Funke
AG
Thanks for posting. Read it on a plane today and laughed several times
Decay
AG
That was great. It's crazy to think I saw that in high school and loved it despite never actually experiencing anything that happened in the movie. I'm definitely rewatching it soon because I definitely live that life now!
expresswrittenconsent
Decay said:

That was great. It's crazy to think I saw that in high school and loved it despite never actually experiencing anything that happened in the movie. I'm definitely rewatching it soon because I definitely live that life now!

Is it really crazy? I love the godfather and have no mob experience. I love Josey Wales but never experienced the reconstruction era US.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
A favorite movie. They could have walked our dorm and seen us watching and quoting it all day.

Great article to learn the behind the scenes
Bunk Moreland
Read this the other day (no Redstone). Mike Judge is a national hero.
Redstone
AG
Knew about this before it was advertised on social media / texags
Tobias Funke
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

Decay said:

Is it really crazy? I love the godfather and have no mob experience. I love Josey Wales but never experienced the reconstruction era US.

Don't be a dick
expresswrittenconsent
Not meant to be mean. I just dont think that reason makes sense. It's great because Mike Judge made a great movie. His recent animated cinemax show is one of the best things on TV the last couple years. I celebrate his entire catalog.
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG

Not meant to be mean. I just dont think that reason makes sense. It's great because Mike Judge made a great movie. His recent animated cinemax show is one of the best things on TV the last couple years. I celebrate his entire catalog.

Yes!

Decay
AG

I found it surprising, because I had never realized that Judge pulled off such a feat - get a highschooler to understand the mindset of an office drone. I related so well to Office Space, but when I read the article, most people were talking about how they loved the way it lampooned the absurdity and nailed the authenticity. I had no clue about any of that and it is absolutely a credit to Judge. Great movie, accurate deconstruction of the corporate paradigm... Why not both?
Redstone
AG
It did accomplish both, which I understood at the time, admiring the film well before its cult classic status.
Complete Idiot
Office Space really hit a lot of buttons for me. I'd like to think that if I had no connections or familiarity with the existence they were skewering, I'd still have found the movie funny - because it is done so well I don't think you have to live it to get it. However, I was three years out of A&M at the time, working for a 800 employee engineering company in Austin. Had the six foot, not four foot, cubicles and it was all muted greys and blues with four layers of management above me. Sure, everything was taken to the nth degree and not totally realistic, but very familiar. I had a coworker there who worked as a CAD drafter and was the most Mike Judge looking character you'd ever see - and he was cast as an extra in the movie, walking in the office in the background. The apartment scenes in the movie were filmed at the apartment complex I lived in at the time , an AMLI (at the time) in Great Hills. They are driving around on Braker near JJ Pickle during the rap traffic scene, driving on Metric during the "nazis had flair" scene - you can even see Double Dave's in the background. The soulless office hit too close to home, and it was all filmed in the exact environment I lived in. I know where Morningwood apartments are (I also changed the Hardrock Canyon apartment sign to Hardcock Canyon - as a 26 year old "man" I did this), I know the office buildings used, where Chotzkies was. It was as if the movie was made for me.

Article was a fun read - is like to hear Chris Rocks voicemail for Judge. McGinley sounds like a riot to work with, a little wheels off.
bearamedic99
AG
I'd love to watch the extra footage of the two Bobs going at it
GiveEmHellBill
AG
I've had several friends who, while loving the movie like I do, had the same experience I had and I wonder if anyone else did as well:

I saw the movie in the theater. I thought it was funny but I forgot about it soon after. Then, I caught it again on cable a few years later.

And it was 100x funnier the second time. So, I watched it again soon after. It was even funnier the third time. Every subsequent viewing I found new things that continued to add to it's hilariousness.

Anyone else feel the same way: just okay the first time, but funnier and funnier the more you see it?
JD Shellnut
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

I've had several friends who, while loving the movie like I do, had the same experience I had and I wonder if anyone else did as well:

I saw the movie in the theater. I thought it was funny but I forgot about it soon after. Then, I caught it again on cable a few years later.

And it was 100x funnier the second time. So, I watched it again soon after. It was even funnier the third time. Every subsequent viewing I found new things that continued to add to it's hilariousness.

Anyone else feel the same way: just okay the first time, but funnier and funnier the more you see it?

Napoleon dynamite was like that for me.
True Anomaly
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

Same. Although admittedly, the only reason I went to see it in the theater is a friend was an extra in it- she's one of the restaurant patrons who gets flipped off by Jennifer Aniston
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.