Star Wars Rewatch Project: EPISODE I - THE PHANTOM MENACE

17,798 Views | 165 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by titan
My Dad Earl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My opinion...

I was in the 4th grade when Episode 1 came out, and I absolutely loved it. That was me being a kid, and I didn't care so much for plot, dialogue, stuff like that. Only action, lightsaber fights, special effects, etc. I also thought Jar Jar Binks was pretty funny. Now I watch it and can't stand them. I realize how bad the dialogue is and the massive plot holes that were left out.

The main issue I have with the prequels is the development of Anakin in to Darth Vader. Darth Vader, in the original trilogy, was so evil but so controlled in his emotions. He would always have that imposing presence about him that was so menacing but so cool. The "I find your lack of faith disturbing" scene is pure awesomeness when I watch it today. In the prequels, Anakin did not match the Darth Vader that we knew in the originals. He was whiny, out-of-control, annoying, etc. Not to mention the horrible acting and dialogue from Hayden Christensen and the writers. I think that is why I can't stand to watch the prequels today.

I wish Disney could go back and re-do them, even though I know it won't happen. But I do think they did well to include the final scene in Rogue One. I literally teared up at the end because I got to see a new scene with the Darth Vader I fell in love with; not only that, but it showed just how bad of a man he really was and why he is so notorious in the originals.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

Anakin did not match the Darth Vader that we knew in the originals
There had to be a progression from point A, whiny brat, to point Z, dark lord badass. It's not like Palpatine just flipped a switch in his young protege and voila, we have this badass who is in complete control.
Hello there
And let's not forget that Vader was always sassy in the OT as well.
PDWT_12
AG
You're obviously right, but the fans never actually see that progression. We see the "whiny brat" in Episode I, the impulsive teenager in II, and the bold and brash young adult in III, who's inability to control his fears and emotions is what allows him to play directly into Palpatine's hands. Our last sight of him is losing control and destroying things in a fit of rage as he learns that he couldn't save Padme. Now there's what? 18 years between III and IV? You have to assume that's the time period where he truly learns to "master" his emotions and focus his power, so I'm sure there are some great stories to tell in that space.

Again, you're right, there needed to be progression for their to be a character arc, but he's also not exactly wrong.
redline248
AG
I would have also liked to see more about "the best pilot in the galaxy" than a dumb pod race, and some spinning. Even if it is a good trick.
The Collective
AG
RPM said:

John Williams was wool gathering when he scored TPM or just lazy.

Hello there
I'm sorry but anybody who says John Williams was lazy is a Sith Lord, and as you know, Sith Lords are our speciality.

*disrobes*
DTP02
AG
TV Casualty said:

Samuel L. Jackson as a Sith apprentice would have been awesome. Should have introduced him as a trusted Jedi only to reveal later that he was part of the Sith.

The big reveal could have been when Obi-Wan is going thru Windu's desk and finds his wallet, a wallet that could only be owned by a Sith.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
DTP02 said:

TV Casualty said:

Samuel L. Jackson as a Sith apprentice would have been awesome. Should have introduced him as a trusted Jedi only to reveal later that he was part of the Sith.

The big reveal could have been when Obi-Wan is going thru Windu's desk and finds his wallet, a wallet that could only be owned by a Sith.

That wouldn't make any sense. Everyone knows the Sith only have chain wallets.
Quad Dog
AG
DTP02 said:

TV Casualty said:

What does the wallet say on it?
DTP02
AG
Quad Dog said:

DTP02 said:

TV Casualty said:

Thank you for asking, Quad Dog. Windu's wallet says "Bad Mister Falcon" on it [/'Die Hard' for TV dubbing].
The Collective
AG
DTP02 said:

big reveal could have been when Obi-Wan is going thru Windu's desk and finds his wallet, a wallet that could only be owned by a Sith.

Lost a Sith artifact, Master Windu has. How embarrassing. How embarrassing.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Quad Dog said:

DTP02 said:

TV Casualty said:

Purple is the new black
shelbys99
Been watching episodes that are months ahead on this project because this episode is a bit boring.
The Collective
AG
I finally got around to watching this over the weekend, and there is not a lot left to say on this movie that hasn't already been said over the past 2 decades. Watching it to this day takes me back to the feeling that I had watching it play out. I organized a group of people from my high school to see it, including some very unwilling participants that did not fit the bill as typical Star Wars fans, and I quickly regretted that decision. Poop jokes galore, Jar Jar (WTF?), "roger, roger", "are you an angel"; these are just things that stay with you forever. In my list of most disappointing films ever, this one ranked right behind The Lost World. It is hard to top The Lost World in the disappointment category, it's the first movie I recall actually disliking. Thus, my childhood was no more the day of its premiere; whatever memory remained, George Lucas took care of the day I saw TPM.

With the above in mind, TPM is a step above AOTC for me, but it does not come within striking distance of ROTS. This has the best cinematography of the saga prequels, but it also set the precedent for a group of films that would not look anything like I imagined Star Wars films looking. I can list things that I kind of like about it or things that future Star Wars media tried to correct (Maul, chosen one, battle droids, etc), but at the end of the day, this film was a huge bag of disappointment. I dislike TPM still, and to this day, it's hard for me to enjoy the little things that were done right. It just didn't work for me.
Hello there
YouBet
AG
I really need to re-watch ROTS. I will participate in that thread when we get there. I've seen TPM and AOTC many times each, but only seen ROTS once.
TCTTS
AG
AtlAg05
AG
I watched with a group at the 12am showing, people dressed up, light sabers waving and a huge cheer when the title started. It was an experience, being in high school we didn't care about the acting or pointing out everything we thought was wrong. It was OUR Star Wars movie, but at the same time I don't really have a desire to go back and rewatch it. It was badass at the time and that's what I'll stick with.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
AtlAg05 said:

I watched with a group at the 12am showing, people dressed up, light sabers waving and a huge cheer when the title started. It was an experience, being in high school we didn't care about the acting or pointing out everything we thought was wrong. It was OUR Star Wars movie, but at the same time I don't really have a desire to go back and rewatch it. It was badass at the time and that's what I'll stick with.
This, it came out the spring of my senior year, and we had all just finished finals and we're leaving for college. I didn't learn TPM was really bad until way later on social media and TexAgs... I still like the TPM, AotC, and RotS... I remember being on Star Wars message boards, BBSs, and even LotJ MUDS and just giddy about all the new movies!
Jim01
AG
Finally rewatched today.

I was in college when it came out and loved it in the theatre, and liked it the first time I watched it after buying the DVD, and then it kept dropping for me. However, rewatching today it honestly was pretty entertaining.

TCTTS hit the nail on the head in that actually looks like a film. I agree the next two are horribly cheesy fake looking. Every ship is ultra shiny without a spec of dust. They look horrible.

The writing is of course horrible. The peak to me is the journey through the planets core. They get grabbed by a monster fish and then another BIGGER fish eats that one. "There's always a bigger fish". We cut away for a scene that's maybe 30 seconds, then back to the journey where they almost get eaten by a monster fish, and then get saved when that one is eaten by a BIGGER fish. They use the same frickin gimmick, not only twice in our journey, but twice in like 90 seconds!!! It's unreal.

I too think Jake Lloyd got to much grief. And for that matter Hayden as well. There are multiple Oscar winners and nominees in the cast of the three prequels and damn near ALL of them give crap performances. Liam might be one of the exceptions. Lucas makes all the performances look bad.

In short, better than I remembered, plenty of wasted potential though.
AliasMan02
AG
I'm rewatching this on Disney+ and one thing REALLY jumps out that I didn't remember. The groundwork they lay for the Anakin-Padme relationship is SUPER creepy. Especially when Anakin gives her the necklace and they exchange the "I care for you" lines. Yikes.
Al Bula
AG
Yeah if we can all be honest, the Padme/Anakin relationship is so contrived and horrible.
Duncan Idaho
I wanted something on in the background this afternoon. So I put this on...it is the first time I've watched it since seeing it in the theater....it was worse than I remembered Nd I remember it being bad.

Maybe a competent director could have made the pod race exciting but even that sucked with the comedic breaks and the terrible acting.

And how the hell did natalie Portman put in such a terrible performance...just amazing how wooden she is.
TXAG 05
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

I wanted something on in the background this afternoon. So I put this on...it is the first time I've watched it since seeing it in the theater....it was worse than I remembered Nd I remember it being bad.

Maybe a competent director could have made the pod race exciting but even that sucked with the comedic breaks and the terrible acting.

And how the hell did natalie Portman put in such a terrible performance...just amazing how wooden she is.

And sadly, it's the best one of the prequels
PatAg
AG
Extremely poor writing and directing is how.

Ultimately this movie has some good things

• Pod racing was actually good (the game was good at least)
  • Darth Maul is a badass, and the fight at the end was insane
  • Duel of the Fates
  • As much as the trade federation was odd and kind of racist, this song is also amazing
titan
S
Champ Bailey said:

DTP02 said:

TV Casualty said:

That wouldn't make any sense. Everyone knows the Sith only have chain wallets.
I disagree with that idea about Mace Windu. I think Jackson did great for immediately giving bearing and stature to the Late Republic Jedi council for a character you didn't know yet. It was jarring to see Yoda in a subordinate or just one of equals position, but it made sense soon enough. It would have been a shame to turn him Sith, because he was new Jedi that was `instantly' credible. At least I thought so.

What I most disliked about TPM (and AOTC but that gets ahead) is the unrealistic romance handling of Padme and Anakin. It never seemed real -- just so forced.

Oh, and Williams scores for TPM actually have a great range and interest --if you don't have two CD version of the complete score--- its one to get. I wish they had done it with ROTS.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.