*** THEY SHALL NOT GROW OLD *** (WWI Doc from Peter Jackson)

8,925 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AgGrad99
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fantastic trailer. But the doc itself will only be in theaters on December 17 and December 27, though I imagine it'll be on streaming and Blu-ray relatively early in the new year...

ja86
AG
already have my tickets for the 17th.
Boo Weekley
Wow, that looks intense. That music combined with the images made me a little emotional for some reason. Incredible what technology can do.
Waltonloads08
AG
Listening to Dan Carlin's Blueprint for Armageddon podcast to get ready for this
Belton Ag
AG
WaltonBlanks08 said:

Listening to Dan Carlin's Blueprint for Armageddon podcast to get ready for this
I tackled that over the summer.
AggieChemist
AG
Blackadder goes Forth is still the greatest WWI documentary of all time.
JABQ04
AG
AggieChemist said:

Blackadder goes Forth is still the greatest WWI documentary of all time.

Absolutely hilarious, well, until the final scene. Brilliant show.

In regards to the only to dates it is being shown here in the US I'm pretty bummed I can't see it then. Hoping it gets released fairly soon.
Marsh
AG
You can find it online already (https://www.reddit.com/r/Documentaries/comments/9wbw8j/they_shall_not_grow_old_2018_produced_and/).

I skimmed through the movie, but was a little surprised that most of the movie seemed based on the start of the war (at least that was my impression). As an honest question, I'm guessing there was very little video to work with? Seemed like the entire movie was all in a single camp.
maverick2076
That's not the movie at all. He worked with over 100 hours of film and 600 hours of interviews.
maverick2076
I just got home from the movie. It was incredibly poignant and well done. Peter Jackson has created an incredibly immediate and personal piece of film. Go see it.
DrZ
AG
The bulk of the movie was the Battle of Amiens. Considered the last battle of the war. Great piece of work. Outstanding.
Knut
AG
Just got home from watching the film. It was remarkable how well they transformed the footage. Do yourself a favor and catch the showing on the 27th.
ja86
AG
DrZ said:

The bulk of the movie was the Battle of Amiens. Considered the last battle of the war. Great piece of work. Outstanding.

I was trying to figure out what the last battle was especially with all the tanks. My first thought was cambria but that was to early to go into the end of the war so fast.

But they were using footage from all over the war period,
Col. Steve Austin
AG
Here's a good article detailing Peter Jackson's development of this project.

How Peter Jackson Made WWI Footage Seem Astonishingly New
I am not the Six Million Dollar Man, but I might need that surgery. "We have the technology, we can rebuild him!"
Agnzona
It's very good, the technological achievement amazing and the Post show chat is a must stay for. My only complaint was the PJ couldn't be bothered to put on a clean shirt for the discussion.

I am guessing he just restored and preserved all this footage for the British Archives for eternity.
"Fort Worth where the West begins...and Dallas is where the East peters out!"
bagger05
AG
Thought it was good. Was about the Brits who fought in the trenches, not the war itself.
ja86
AG
Well it was proposed and supported by the Imperial War Museum so it goes to figure it would be about the British soldiers point of view. But it really highlights the plight of the individual and how they dealt with trench warfare. The British soldiers experience is very similar to any combatant experiencing life in the trenches. They all answered the patriotic call and ended up in the mud of Flanders, the chalk slop in front of Loos or the Vimy ridge, the sleet and snow of an alpine mountain, or the hell that was Gallipoli and Mesopotamia, it sucked for all.
bagger05
AG
Didn't mean it as a criticism. I didn't really think about what my expectations were going in, but on reflection I suppose I thought it would be more about the war as a whole. This angle was probably more compelling. Very well done.
Marsh
AG
maverick2076 said:

That's not the movie at all. He worked with over 100 hours of film and 600 hours of interviews.
I assure you the movie is out on the internet (for example, here's a link to one source of it, albeit low quality: https://vimeo.com/306889605) and was at the time I made the comment. I haven't had time to watch it, yet, just skimmed through.

I think I'll wait until bluray to watch.
maverick2076
Let me clarify. What you saw may be the movie, but your description is inaccurate.
ja86
AG
bagger05 said:

Didn't mean it as a criticism. I didn't really think about what my expectations were going in, but on reflection I suppose I thought it would be more about the war as a whole. This angle was probably more compelling. Very well done.
I apologize, the tone of my post came off wrong and I didn't mean to imply any criticism. One of the things that resonated with me was the soldiers plight and how mater of fact their acceptance was of it and that feeling came out a little too strongly in my post.
Another Doug
AG
It was a nice achievement technically, but was more experimental than a real movie or documentary.

Probably would be better suited in a Ken Burns type format instead of forcing into a 90 minute movie structure, even if that mean not using old footage/audio for parts of it.

For a guy who guy who stretched the Hobbit into 10 hours of film, seems like he could have done more with this. That being said, what is there I really enjoyed.

DVC2010
AG
Just left the theater, mostly because y'all recommended it (as opposed to waiting for streaming). That was pretty incredible. I hope the documentary portion is available later, but they said something about it being for the theater screenings.
Swarely
Watched it today with my brother and BIL. I liked it a lot. I've watched several WWI docs, listened to "Blueprint for Armageddon", and read books on the subject. This movie really made it seem more human to me.
Swarely
Also, couldn't stick around for the making of piece afterward. Was it any good?
who?mikejones
AG
Swarely said:

Watched it today with my brother and BIL. I liked it a lot. I've watched several WWI docs, listened to "Blueprint for Armageddon", and read books on the subject. This movie really made it seem more human to me.

I agree. This couldnt have come at a better time for me personally as i just finished up about 8 straight ww1.

What you point out was my favorite aspect. This show wasnt about the cause and effects of the war, individual battle orders, or overreaching narratives.

It was simply a reflection of the common soldier brought to life.
DVC2010
AG
Swarely said:

Also, couldn't stick around for the making of piece afterward. Was it any good?

It really was.
JABQ04
AG
*sigh*. Have to wait to stream it.
wangus12
AG
Missed my screening yesterday because I was on call at work and naturally got called in to deal with some patients. Hope this is made available for streaming later in 2019
who?mikejones
AG
Jan 11th i believe.
Aggies76
AG
Showing in College Station on Jan 21.
shovel pass
AG
Saw this tonight and thought it was very impressive. The making of feature after the movie was as interesting to me as the documentary itself. When Jackson talks about the sunken road footage and then points out that most of the soldiers shown were likely killed within 30 minutes of being filmed it really hit home.
Aggies76
AG
Saw this yesterday and I hope more theater showings are scheduled. What Jackson and his crew have done with this hundred year old footage is impressive.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.