which actor/actress most ruined their career with a great role?

18,923 Views | 178 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Bruce Almighty
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Christopher Lloyd in Camp Nowhere
bearamedic99
AG
i thought i qas the only one who remembered Early Edition.
bearamedic99
AG
Christopher Loyd as Reverend Jim
bagger05
AG
What about that guy from The Cowboys who shot John Wayne?
GoAgs92
AG
Henry Winkler...great actor who could really never be anything much after the Fonz.

Mozart Paintings
AG
I see him as Barry Zuckerkorn. And he was fantastic in Barry. The Fonz stigma has worn off for awhile now in my opinion.
Ag 11
AG
Bruce Dern
TXAG 05
AG
Ag_07 said:

Kinda yet to be determined but Bryan Cranston will never be anything but Walter White.

He will always be Tim Whatley to me.
et98
AG
Bruce Dern is the best example, and there really is no legitimate debate.

Shooting John Wayne in the back destroyed his career.
SlackerAg
AG
The Lloyd Braun character in Seinfeld. He looks out of place in serious roles...like he will suddenly say, "serenity now".
bearamedic99
AG
just thought of an example

the entire cast of American Pie (except the redheaded flute player from Buffy) will forever in my mind be recognized as their AP role. Even Eugene Levy whom I lived from Second City TV became the father of a pie forker.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
bearamedic99 said:

just thought of an example

the entire cast of American Pie (except the redheaded flute player from Buffy) will forever in my mind be recognized as their AP role. Even Eugene Levy whom I lived from Second City TV became the father of a pie forker.

redheaded flute girl is maybe most widely known as Lily from How I Met Your Mother.

A 9 year TV series run with 9-10 million per episode.

Ferg

Scorpio from Dirty Harry
bluefire579
AG
For a lot of these, I can see where people can have these views, but I do think it depends on whether you saw them before that particular role.

For example, Elijah Wood as Frodo is mentioned, but I remember seeing him in several films before LotR, so I see him as an actor, not as Frodo. Viggo Mortensen, on the other hand, I had never really seen in anything before LotR, so he's always Aragorn to me.

Bryan Cranston is an interesting case for me. Breaking Bad took some adjustment because I had only known him as the dad in Malcolm in the Middle before, so I had never taken him seriously as an actor. For him, Breaking Bad actually changed my view of him completely, and I have since been able to separate him from his roles.

For me, it most applies to B or C list actors who have a decent role in a show and never really grow beyond it to stardom. Examples include:
* The Mayhem Guy from the All State commercials (Brooklyn 99 and Rescue Me)
* Dennis Haysbert - Even though I saw him in Major League first, he's always President Palmer to me
* Sophie Turner - I can't watch the most recent X-men without seeing her as Sansa instead of Rogue
* Really, most of the actors in Game of Thrones. You see them a lot in BBC shows in particular.
jeffk
AG
bluefire579 said:

* The Mayhem Guy from the All State commercials (Brooklyn 99 and Rescue Me).

You mean Liz Lemon's boyfriend the Beeper King?
MGS
Ferg said:

Scorpio from Dirty Harry
Garak was one of Star Trek's all-time greatest characters!
MookieBlaylock
AG
Beware of Doug said:

Corporal Punishment said:

Vic Morrow or Brandon Lee

I see what you did there
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
For me Kevin is still the kid from Rookie of the Year.
aggiejim70
AG
Bruce Dern. He was never forgiven for killing John Wayne in The Cowboys.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
mhayden
The Bruce Dern lore is a fun read, but his career went the way it did for the same reason he got the role he did in The Cowboys -- he's a creepy/down-trodden/shady/somewhat off-putting guy so those are types of roles he was hired for.

He was a terrorist in Black Sunday. The unlikable Tom in Great Gatsby. I fondly remember him as the bad guy in Diggstown... Hell even in The Burbs he was a weird neighbor.

It's like saying Steve Buschemi only got quirky/weird roles instead of the star/hero role because of Reservoir Dogs. No, he only got quirky/weird roles because that's the type of guy he is.
Corporal Punishment
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

Beware of Doug said:

Corporal Punishment said:

Vic Morrow or Brandon Lee

I see what you did there

Good for you...so now I'll throw in a bonus Jon-Erik Hexum as well.

My work is done here.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
75AG
AG
Larry Linville
bearamedic99
AG
free_mhayden said:

It's like saying Steve Buschemi only got quirky/weird roles instead of the star/hero role because of Reservoir Dogs. No, he only got quirky/weird roles because that's the type of guy he is.

Disagree. Google Steve Buschemi 9/11. He plays serious characters very well just averge joes expect to see him reprise his roles in Adam Sandler movies.

Bruce Almighty
AG
Buschemi was great in Boardwalk Empire, probably the best role he's ever had.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Buschemi was great in Boardwalk Empire, probably the best role he's ever had.
not to mention Tony Blundetto in The Sopranos.

Duckhook
AG
Have I missed it, or has nobody said James Gandolfini yet? He couldn't be in anything post-Sopranos without me seeing him as Tony. He played Leon Panetta in Zero Dark Thirty, and when he walked in a room for the first time I couldn't help but wonder how Tony Soprano became head of the CIA.

Older, but the same thing for me. George C. Scott after Patton.
HtownAg92
AG
There are a lot of cute kids who grew up in this category:

Mackauley Culkin - Once he grew out the the Kevin and Uncle Buck roles, he disappeared and got crazy
The kid from Jerry Maguire
Vada from My Girl - took her 20 years to grow out of this role, but she is fantastic in Veep

How about John Heder - can he be seen as anything but Napoleon Dynamite ever again?

Javier Bardem is another for me. I thought he was Chigurh with a bad die job in that James Bond movie.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Culkin was still getting a ton of roles up until Richie Rich. His retirement was self-imposed, so I think his case is unique.
Bruce Almighty
AG
With kid actors, I think it depends on if they continue with acting throughout their childhood and early adulthood. The Olsen Twins will always be Michelle Tanner even if one were to become some big time award winning actress. If a child actor disappears during their teens and then resurfaces a few years later, they may not be recognizable.
MAROON
AG
aggiejim70 said:

Bruce Dern. He was never forgiven for killing John Wayne in The Cowboys.
he was nominated for two academy awards after The Cowboys.

Long career with some good roles.

He will always be Bobby Lee from Middle Age Crazy to me.

He was fantastic in Nebraska (one of his Oscar nominations).
GoAgs92
AG
I drove bus said:

I see him as Barry Zuckerkorn. And he was fantastic in Barry. The Fonz stigma has worn off for awhile now in my opinion.
The guy was arguably the biggest TV star in the world in 1976, he's now basically relegated to doing bit parts. Sure he's good on Arrested Development but he is not a main star of the show and will always be remembered primarily as the Fonz.

mhayden
bearamedic99 said:

free_mhayden said:

Disagree. Google Steve Buschemi 9/11. He plays serious characters very well just averge joes expect to see him reprise his roles in Adam Sandler movies.

I shouldn't have said "only". Buschemi is a very talented actor, much like Bruce Dern.

I was just pointing out that he wasn't typecast because of what he did in one specific movie - he is typecast because that's the kind of character he looks like and plays well.

I've never seen The Cowboys, but I couldn't picture Bruce Dern as any grand protagonist anyway.
The Lost
while not necissarily ruined career (or maybe even ever really famous) seeing Jerry Ferrara (turtle from entourage) in shooter trying to be serious, was hilarious and I couldn't unsee turtle.

It took me a while for Chris Pratt to not be andy, but he's done enough roles to be over it.
Thriller
AG
Kelly McGillis could never NOT be "Charlie" from Top Gun.

Then she went and became whatever she is today and it's just as hard imagining her as Charlie 30 years ago. Woof.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.