which actor/actress most ruined their career with a great role?

18,715 Views | 178 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Bruce Almighty
rtpAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I mean...who was so good and locked into a role that you can take them seriously in anything else?

I am having a hard time with the new John Krasinski. although he is good...I cant see anything but Jim.

Anthony Hopkins is also a candidate for me.
Cancelled
AG
My number 1 always go to is Ned Beatty. I've said this several times The guy was fantastic in Deliverance but it ruined his career. Following that he could only get beta male/goofball roles. The guy is a fantastic actor. His agent should have been fired for letting him take that role.
gigemJTH12
AG
Senator in Shooter, though.

great choice.
ChipFTAC01
AG
In general, I think a lot of good actors who have long running roles on TV shows have a hard time ever escaping that role. You can have a bad (for your career) role in a movie but you only play that character for 2 hours and it loses its notoriety as time ages.

But 9 seasons of Friends and Matthew Perry is Chandler Bing forever.
Olsen
AG
Daniel Radcliffe as Harry Potter
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Christopher Reeve
Cancelled
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Christopher Reeve

I have to agree on this one. The only other movie with him that I can recall he was a child molester or something.
Corporal Punishment
AG
Vic Morrow or Brandon Lee
oragator
Mark Hammill
Jason Biggs
Erkle
Screech

Another Doug
AG
Jim Caviezel
Another Doug
AG
Corporal Punishment said:

Vic Morrow or Brandon Lee
Mike Elko
AG
Ralphie from A Christmas Story.
Bruce Almighty
AG
The four main characters from Seinfeld. Though most of their careers have been crap since, when I do see them, its Jerry, Kramer, George or Elaine.

A weird one for me is Ron Livingston. Office Space is probably my favorite comedy of all time, and when I finally saw Band of Brothers a few years ago, I kept waiting for Captain Nixon to show up on the battlefield in jeans and flip flops.

Russell Crowe will always be Maximus.
BurnetAggie99
Robert Downey Jr - Ironman

Mark Hamill - Luke Skywalker

Elijah Wood - Frodo

Linda Blair - The exorcist

Ralph Macchio - Karate Kid

Deceased Actors

Brandon Lee - Crow

Heather Ledger
TajMaballer
AG
oragator said:

Mark Hammill

He was so good in the role that fans hated when his character developed over 35 in the Last Jedi!
AggieGirl35
AG
I agree on Seinfeld with the exception of JLD. I LOVE her in Veep and have been able to get past Elaine on that one.

Agree on Daniel Radcliffe as Harry Potter. Definitely Rupert Grint (Ron Weasley). We haven't seen him in much since HP wrapped but I'd be hard pressed to picture him as anything other than Ron Weasley.
LHIOB
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

The four main characters from Seinfeld. Though most of their careers have been crap since, when I do see them, its Jerry, Kramer, George or Elaine.

A weird one for me is Ron Livingston. Office Space is probably my favorite comedy of all time, and when I finally saw Band of Brothers a few years ago, I kept waiting for Captain Nixon to show up on the battlefield in jeans and flip flops.

Russell Crowe will always be Maximus.

When I see JLD I think Salena Meyer
coach_pope
AG
Hasn't ruined his career at all in fact he's been in a lot of films since but I can only see Kyle chandler as coach Eric Taylor no matter what role he is playing
redd38
AG
BurnetAggie99 said:

Robert Downey Jr - Ironman

Mark Hamill - Luke Skywalker

Elijah Wood - Frodo

Linda Blair - The exorcist

Ralph Macchio - Karate Kid

Deceased Actors

Brandon Lee - Crow

Heather Ledger

I think I would have been fine seeing Heath Ledger in other roles after Joker. When I watch Dark Knight I don't even see Ledger, just Joker, so Ledger wasn't ruined for me.
oragator
Kind of off topic but he seems like a genuinely decent dude.
He left Hollywood and lives somewhere in Texas where I think I heard he's a volunteer firefighter.
Ag_07
AG
Kinda yet to be determined but Bryan Cranston will never be anything but Walter White.
Joan Wilder
AG
100% agree on JLD - it's actually weird now seeing her in Seinfeld reruns after Veep. Selina Meyer is an amazing character.

I bought krasinski in Quiet Place but I just called him Halpert in Jack Ryan. When he's clean shaven, it's hard not to just see Jim.

gigemJTH12
AG
Ag_07 said:

Kinda yet to be determined but Bryan Cranston will never be anything but Walter White.
idk...I saw Last Flag Flying and had no trouble with it. and he was fantastic in that movie.
Cancelled
AG
coach_pope said:

Hasn't ruined his career at all in fact he's been in a lot of films since but I can only see Kyle chandler as coach Eric Taylor no matter what role he is playing

I think he was my favorite character in WOWS.
Texaggie7nine
queso1 said:

My number 1 always go to is Ned Beatty. I've said this several times The guy was fantastic in Deliverance but it ruined his career. Following that he could only get beta male/goofball roles. The guy is a fantastic actor. His agent should have been fired for letting him take that role.
I saw Superman long before Deliverance. So he always has been Lex Luthor's bumbling side kick to me.
7nine
Complete Idiot
A lot of people getting listed who MADE their career with a great role.
MAROON
AG
queso1 said:

Deliverance was the first role he was ever in...his agent would have been shot for not landing him that role!

and he had a great career after Deliverance.

PooDoo
AG
Complete Idiot
MAROON said:

queso1 said:

Deliverance was the first role he was ever in...his agent would have been shot for not landing him that role!

and he had a great career after Deliverance.

Bruce Almighty
AG
PooDoo said:

I see him as the judge in My Cousin Vinny
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Anthony Hopkins ruined???

3 Oscar nominations since Lambs and 3 Golden Globes and several Emmy noms as well. He has won several BAFTAs too. Absolutely nails on Westworld.

I think he's done ok.

Bruce Almighty
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Anthony Hopkins ruined???

3 Oscar nominations since Lambs and 3 Golden Globes and several Emmy noms as well. He has won several BAFTAs too. Absolutely nails on Westworld.

I think he's done ok.

I'm don't think the op worded the question very well, but I think he meant ruined as in you can't see that person as any else but that one role. No matter what else he does, the op only sees him as Hannibal Lector.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
hmm gotcha. ok i can see that maybe.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
oragator said:

Mark Hamill
Hamill's post-Star Wars career as a voice-over actor almost eclipses his role as Luke Skywalker.

Seriously, if you see an animated version of the Joker, you immediately expect to hear Hamill's iconic rendition of the character. While many think Heath Ledger's Joker is the best, there are a ton of people who would say Mark Hamill is the greatest Joker of all time.
Al Bula
AG
LHIOB said:

When I see JLD I think Salena Meyer
When I see JLD, I think Susie.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.