Sorry To Bother You

6,537 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by LouisHerbertWong
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wow.
TCTTS
AG
Junkhead said:

Mildly surprised you didn't like it but not for one second do I believe this is literally the worst movie you've ever seen. Not a ****ing chance with as many movies as you see.

Is there some '80s or '90s B-movie/straight-to-DVD kind of thing I've seen that's worse? I'm sure. But in terms of relatively prominent theatrical movies released since, say, the year 2000, I'm dead serious in saying that this is, hands down, the worst I've seen. And "with as many movies" as I see, it's not like I purposely go see sh*tty movies all the time. I'm still fairly selective in what I choose to see at the theater.

But yeah, I absolutely hated this movie. And it has nothing to do with the cast, the acting, or what it's trying to say, but everything to do with the way the story was told, where the story went in the final act, and the sh*tty, inept nature of the filmmaking in general.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Dude, come on. Worst movie you've ever seen? It's recency bias.

You're telling me this is a worse movie than, say, Attack of the Clones?

(Chose the one I know you hate the most.)
TCTTS
AG
If I had to chose between having to watch this or Attack of the Clones again, I'd choose AOTC in a heartbeat. I've never seen a movie steadily become so increasingly unbearable by the end as this one. It's such junior high level satire, production value, and shtick.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Just curious, because I'm kind of fascinated with your extreme thoughts on is -- what made the satire in this movie so unbearable, but was ok in Get Out?

It felt pretty similar to me, where things start out just a bit "off", and get progressively more crazy as the movie goes on. Let's be fair, they are both absolutely ridiculous by the final act.

Same question for production value, etc. I actually dug some of the stuff that was being done, like the desk dropping into people's homes, etc. It's nothing if not unique.
TCTTS
AG
Re: the satire - It was just way too on the nose for me. There was nothing elegant or clever or subversive about it. It just reeked of someone thinking they were way more sly or smarter than they really are.

Re: Get Out being just as "absolutely ridiculous by the final act" as this - I wholeheartedly disagree. Get Out got ridiculous, sure, but didn't feature equisapiens, which I thought were one of the dumbest left turns a movie has ever made. That, and they straight up looked terrible, like a mix between 1990's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie and that Dinosaurs sitcom that aired on ABC in the early '90s as well, but somehow worse than both.

Re: the production value - yeah, the desk being dropped into people's homes was creative, but there was SO MUCH unnecessary green screen in not only those scenes, but "normal" scenes too. Like, there would be scenes in the middle of that call center - scenes that feature no effects whatsoever - that were green-screened simply to make the room slightly bigger. It was so bizarre and cheap feeling. From little things like the "white man" voices not syncing with the actors performances from time to time (especially Thompson's terrible British woman voice sync that didn't match more than it did), to weird edits, scenes that served no purpose, lines that fell flat, etc., I just thought the whole thing was so awkwardly handled and so clumsily shot/told in general.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Quinn said:

What is it about?

Go see it to find out. The less you know, the better.
[closes thread]
Geriatric Punk
AG
Presley OBannons Sword said:

I don't think TCTTS cared for it.
You're on fire today.
Life's an endless party, not a punch card.
Ragoo
AG
brucoh said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

This might be better than Get Out.

Get Out is so damn overrated.
so very very much overrated. like the movie isn't even that good.
Whos Juan
AG
TCTTS said:

. They straight up looked terrible, like a mix between 1990's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie and that Dinosaurs sitcom that aired on ABC in the early '90s as well, but somehow worse than both.

The Dinosaurs sitcom was a masterpiece!!! Never speak ill of it again!!!
BassCowboy33
This sounds like one of those films critics love but normal people hate.
TCTTS
AG
All I know is that I have only one other friend I know of who's seen it, who I talked to this morning, and he shares my feelings. I think he hated more than I did, in fact. That, and I was behind a couple complaining about it last night as I was exiting the theater. Those are the only "normal" people reactions I've been able to gauge.

As far as Twitter goes, though, it's been almost unanimous praise/enthusiasm, save for one tweet I saw from a critic I follow who didn't hate it, but thought it was trying way to hard.
Ag Since 83
AG
The best thing about this movie is this tweet:

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
MarkItZero said:

Naaaaaaaayyyy!

TCTTS
AG
Just now got that.
BassCowboy33
TCTTS said:

All I know is that I have only one other friend I know of who's seen it, who I talked to this morning, and he shares my feelings. I think he hated more than I did, in fact. That, and I was behind a couple complaining about it last night as I was exiting the theater. Those are the only "normal" people reactions I've been able to gauge.

As far as Twitter goes, though, it's been almost unanimous praise/enthusiasm, save for one tweet I saw from a critic I follow who didn't hate it, but thought it was trying way to hard.

A lot of people like Shape of Water, too. I couldn't get over the bestiality aspect. The artistic value loses its meaning when you start banging fish. Does this film jump off the rails like that?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I liked this better than Shape of Water.

*takes cover from TC*
TCTTS
AG
It goes of the rails worse than that, but kind of in similar fashion. It's hard to explain without giving it away.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, wasn't a huge fan of that one either, so it's a wash for me.
PatAg
AG
Get Out is ultimately a horror movie, regardless of what else occurs in it. For a lot of people, that's hard to get over. There are also a lot of people that say they love it, just because it's a popular opinion to have. i liked it, but I like good horror and Peele's humor clicks with me.

This movie was not good.
spanky
AG
TCTTS said:

This movie also puts a pet peeve of mine front and center with Stanfield's character, one who everyone is constantly praising for how brilliant and clever and amazing he is, yet we never actually see him be any of those things. He just magically/naturally has the best "white man" voice in the game, without any practice or effort, and what we hear from him in terms of skill on his calls is never anything special or worthy of the immense praise he's receiving. I just really, really hate when movies do that. When the writer doesn't do the heavy lifting to actually show the character being good at what he does and wow the audience with a skill on screen. Instead, it's just glimpses of conversations cut short or alluded to or people saying how much he's killing it. Granted, this movie isn't necessarily about telemarketers, per se, but that is a hugely prominent aspect, one that propels Stanfield's character throughout the narrative. Overall, it just cut so many corners in that regard.
So they should have had a scene like Richard Pryor's penny shaving in Superman 3...thus convincing us he could build the world's greatest supercomputer.
Sex Panther
AG
I didn't hate it, and I give it credit for being really original at least... but it wasn't even remotely as clever as it thought it was. You could just see the director stroking himself thinking he was making some brilliant cult masterpiece.

Was WorryFree supposed to be an allegory for welfare?
**** THE RANGERS

**** GARCIA

ALTUVE IS GOD
TCTTS
AG
Sex Panther said:

I didn't hate it, and I give it credit for being really original at least... but it wasn't even remotely as clever as it thought it was. You could just see the director stroking himself thinking he was making some brilliant cult masterpiece.

I think this is exactly where a lot of my animosity comes from. Just the idea that the director - Boots Riley - is being hailed as the second coming for such dumbed down, dopey satire.
TCTTS
AG
I've seen him in a couple interviews, and he seems like a decent enough guy, but there's this faux humbleness about him, as if the weight of the world is on his shoulders, having brought such an important masterpiece to the screen, and it really rubs me the wrong way.
Bunk Moreland
That was an incredibly bizarre and great movie. Wow.
LouisHerbertWong
AG
Welp, that's 112 minutes of my life I'll never get back. Terrible movie that tried way too hard. I feel like a middle schooler wrote it... Just came off as annoying more than anything else. $18 million at box office. Wow.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.