Favorite guitar riff?

6,973 Views | 125 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ApachePilot
Bruce Almighty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There's nothing bubblegum about Are You Gonna Go My Way.
Redstone
AG
Really? Only Back in Black has been mentioned?

Malcom and Angus were the kings of riffs. Who else has written monster riffs over such a long time?

Hell, a random little known song has a better riff than most of the nonsense already listed here - say, Soul Stripper

Or album, the awesome and overlooked Powerage

Come on people
Bottlehead90
AG
Much of the Black Sabbath catalog should be mentioned
Tony Iommi has great riffs
Tanya 93
CJS4715 said:

I like Yellow Ledbetter
My answer
Bruce Almighty
AG
Living Legend said:

You must not like rock music.
EllisCoAg
AG
Rust Never Sleeps-Neil Young

Pride and Joy - SRV
schmendeler
AG

I like the whole song but the part I really love starts a little after 1:20. I wish it was more than once. It reminds me a little of "Right Down the Line"
Redstone
AG
Philo B 93
I love this topic, but its impossible for me to respond. It's like asking me what is my favorite water or air. Or which sunlight do I prefer?

The easiest answer for me is yes and all.
Coog97

CincyAg
AG
Muse - Plug in Baby

SoTxAg
AG
Blue Oyster Cult- Dont Fear the Reaper is first one i thought of.
62strat
AG
Redstone said:

Malcom and Angus were the kings of riffs. Who else has written monster riffs over such a long time?

Hetfield.

Redstone said:

Hell, a random little known song has a better riff than most of the nonsense already listed here - say, Soul Stripper
I don't even hear a riff in that song. Do you know what a riff is? A riff is not just a 'song', it's a melody played on guitar, generally repeating (otherwise it's a solo). A solo can even contain a riff. That song, which kinda sucks btw, doesn't really have riff.

Same with that kings of leon song posted right above.. what riff are you talking about? That's more just chords.

Something like oasis - wonderwall, that's not a riff. That's simply a strummed chord progression.
Frok
AG
Not really a riff but I always love "Here Comes the Sun" by George Harrison.
Max Power
AG
My favorite riff of all time, Blackened.

JYDog90
AG
Catchy, Van Halen's Finish Watcha Started:

easttexasaggie04
AG
OP here: so many great answers and I can't argue with any of them. I enjoy watching your video links and just enjoying them. Damn I wish I could play the guitar.
investorAg83
AG
Always been a big fan of Lindsey Buckinghams acoustic Big Love.

MSFC Aggie
AG
I always thought the riff in Power of Love was underrated
Redstone
AG
Of course I know what a riff is. I just have a more expansive and sophisticated understanding of the term, a contribution level higher than as is "normal" for the board. No need to be mean on this thread. I appreciate all contributions, including yours.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

Jimmy Page, and he did it in 10 years.
Redstone
AG
Problem with Page is the rampant plagiarism, which is detailed all over YouTube.

Young brothers, including George the occasional bassist, were more original. And obviously they rocked very hard for decades in massive stadiums.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Bottlehead90 said:

Much of the Black Sabbath catalog should be mentioned
Tony Iommi has great riffs

Agreed. Riff King.

Too many to list, none were complicated, all were memorable. If you're learning guitar, I highly recommend starting out with early Sabbath.
spag.ag2003
AG
Iommi has to be in there along with the Young's and Hetfield. That's my holy trinity of the riff.

62strat
AG
Redstone said:

Of course I know what a riff is. I just have a more expansive and sophisticated understanding of the term, a contribution level higher than as is "normal" for the board. No need to be mean on this thread. I appreciate all contributions, including yours.
so tell me, where is the riff in that ac/dc song soul stripper?

Don't be vague, fire up the youtube vid and tell me at what time this riff you're talking about comes in.
62strat
AG
The young's riffs are more chord driven.. very few single note riffs like hetfield/iommi.

The chord driven riffs just aren't as exciting to me, especially as a guitar player playing them. But def give it up to young's for making such catchy stuff with chords. Iommi did it with main riff of iron man, but most of his stuff is single note riffing.

BurnetAggie99
MW03
AG
Since Sunshine of your Love was already taken, I'll add these:

TV Casualty
AG
62strat said:

Redstone said:

so tell me, where is the riff in that ac/dc song soul stripper?

Don't be vague, fire up the youtube vid and tell me at what time this riff you're talking about comes in.

Redstone is just trolling you.
Redstone
AG
It's not really my jam, as children say, to educate about riffs. I might be able to next week, although it should be noted that my track record of education on this board is impeccable.

Bruce Almighty
AG
Redstone said:

It's not really my jam, as children say, to educate about riffs. I might be able to next week, although it should be noted that my track record of education on this board is impeccable.

Code for I was talking out my ass and have to do some internet researching before I can respond.
An Ag in CO
AG
The ur-riff:

An Ag in CO
AG
Since the Nirvana version was mentioned:

An Ag in CO
AG
Since I put the Killing Joke version up:

An Ag in CO
AG
The garage rock bands of all eras have some great riffs. From Sweden:

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.