*** Bohemiam Rhapsody ***

46,585 Views | 353 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Bruce Almighty
boboguitar
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Trailer just hit

Al Bula
AG
Amazing Bohemian Rhapsody cover by Puscifer (side project of Tool/A Perfect Circle lead singer Maynard James Keenan)

NoahAg
NICE. Looks like they nailed the lead role.
PlanoAggie
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
NoahAg said:

NICE. Looks like they nailed the lead role.

Yes.... dead on. Has the look, the persona, the physique and the stage presence it appears.

thats the dude from Mr. Robot - impressive actor.

Gigem314
AG
Looks awesome.

And I love seeing the stories of how these songs came to be, and how wrong the stuffy record execs were....like Johnny Cash being told that doing a live album from Folsom would be a disaster.

Will definitely be seeing this.
NoahAg
Quote:

That guy! Also was in The Pacific, right? Dude is good.
TCTTS
AG
I'll be honest... I had no idea Freddie Mercury was English. Always thought he was American.

That said, this looks amazing.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
NoahAg said:

Quote:

That guy! Also was in The Pacific, right? Dude is good.

yes and the Night at the Museum movies (the Egyptian king)
Professor Frick
AG
TCTTS said:

I'll be honest... I had no idea Freddie Mercury was English. Always thought he was American.

English by way of India. Given name was Farrokh Bulsara, his folks were from Bombay
Geriatric Punk
AG
Best rock vocalist of all time.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
TCTTS said:

WHAT??!?!?!?!

that's the craziest thing I have heard (recently) on here from someone generally in the know.....

QUEEN....named for you know.... the Queen.

Very very very British. the entire band is british and was much more popular worldwide (s. america particularly) i'm not sure how anyone would think they were american.

Although to be fair....Freddie (Farrokh Bulsara) is Persian born in Zanzibar (a british protectorate at the time)...moved to England at the age of 13. But those were Brit/English speaking places so he always had the accent.
expresswrittenconsent
TCTTS said:

there was a recent Amazing Race episode where they had to visit his birthplace. it was somewhere in west africa i believe and the birth name obviously was nothing close to "freddie mercury"
TCTTS
AG
At the risk of losing even more credibility, I always used to get the Village People - who had a real Americana vibe and were also gay - confused with Queen. I love Queen's music, but I've just never followed them or read about them in any real way. There's a gaping hole in my knowledge of late-70s / early-80s bands for whatever reason.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

TCTTS said:

there was a recent Amazing Race episode where they had to visit his birthplace. it was somewhere in west africa i believe and the birth name obviously was nothing close to "freddie mercury"
Farrokh Bulsara was born in the Sultanate of Zanzibar (was a british protectorate) now part of Tanzania in EAST Africa actually.

His father worked for the British Colonial Office and lived there and in India for a while before moving to England.

He was a British citizen however.

62strat
AG
I thought I remember Sacha Baron Cohen being part of this project, I was really hoping that would come to light.. but oh well.

Wiki has a cast list, with actor's name - role in movie.. then it just says Mike Myers with no role. What's he doing?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I can't help but wonder how Sacha Baren Cohen would've looked as Freddie Mercury. He already looks so much like him, and it was his passion project for so long, I bet he would've killed it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Geriatric Punk said:

He's a close second to Robert Plant.
ChipFTAC01
AG
SBC was involved for a while but I think he and Brian May and..their drummer had different creative directions. I too thought he would be great.

Spoiler alert but Mike Meyers will be doing a cameo as Fat *******.
boboguitar
AG
There's a decent story behind this movies making, for a while, Sacha Baron Cohen was supposed to play the title role but left when he didn't agree with the movies direction.
boboguitar
AG
nvm
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
62strat said:

I thought I remember Sacha Baron Cohen being part of this project, I was really hoping that would come to light.. but oh well.

Wiki has a cast list, with actor's name - role in movie.. then it just says Mike Myers with no role. What's he doing?

I don't know...I read he had a role too.... but it was undetermined.

However I do think it is possible it also may involve Wayne's World homage to the song. WW was released after his death but filmed before he died and according to Brian May (Queen guitarist) freddie saw it and loved it. May said that he watched it when he was very very sick and near death.

Here s where I read it a few months ago...

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/09/mike-myers-bohemian-rhapsody

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Geriatric Punk said:

I'm the biggest Zeppelin fan in the world..... and certainly as a band LZ is better than Queen....and Plant is perfect for LZ sound.....

but Freddie is not just one of the greatest vocalists in rock he is flat out an amazing vocalist period with a 4 octave range with incredible control. A natural baritone he sang more tenor and of course the higher operatic parts flawlessly.

Robert Plant could actually sing higher than Freddie... but not as low and not as much range. He also lacked the power of Freddie's voice (not to say Plant's was bad... but Freddie's was nearly unparalleled).

They are #1 and #2 in my book for rock vocalists but..... Freddie wins.

expresswrittenconsent
the vocal track of the under pressure recording are amazing if you've never listened to them. no instruments, just bowie nailiing his parts and then mercury obliterating his. freaking great song. not quite the level of the village people, but still...

edit to add link
Al Bula
AG
Oh wait, this movie was (mostly) directed by a child rapist? No thanks.
boboguitar
AG
My favorite live performance

redd38
AG
I bet that dude got so many chicks! Can't wait to see this movie.
Carlo4
AG
Agree as well. I always had Sacha Baron Cohen in my head for someone playing Freddie.
Quad Dog
AG
What's this going to be rated?
Freddie lived a crazy lifestyle of parties, drugs, and sex. He also cussed like crazy. How could it be anything else than R to do Freddie justice? But then you fall into the rated R movie trap.
Geriatric Punk
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Geriatric Punk said:

I'm the biggest Zeppelin fan in the world..... and certainly as a band LZ is better than Queen....and Plant is perfect for LZ sound.....

but Freddie is not just one of the greatest vocalists in rock he is flat out an amazing vocalist period with a 4 octave range with incredible control. A natural baritone he sang more tenor and of course the higher operatic parts flawlessly.

Robert Plant could actually sing higher than Freddie... but not as low and not as much range. He also lacked the power of Freddie's voice (not to say Plant's was bad... but Freddie's was nearly unparalleled).

They are #1 and #2 in my book for rock vocalists but..... Freddie wins.

Exactly. It is a bar room debate that has been going on since I was born, no doubt. I love both bands. But, Freddie gets the nod for all of the reasons above.
Life's an endless party, not a pushcart.
The Debt
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Geriatric Punk said:

Scott Stapp would like a word with both of you.
Whos Juan
AG
TCTTS said:

At the risk of losing even more credibility, I always used to get the Village People - who had a real Americana vibe and were also gay - confused with Queen. I love Queen's music, but I've just never followed them or read about them in any real way. There's a gaping hole in my knowledge of late-70s / early-80s bands for whatever reason.
This might be worse than my Randy Travis story
TCTTS
AG
Is that the one where you were talking to him and didn't realize it?
Gigem314
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I can't help but wonder how Sacha Baren Cohen would've looked as Freddie Mercury. He already looks so much like him, and it was his passion project for so long, I bet he would've killed it.
He definitely would have looked the part physically, probably more-so than Rami Malek. But judging from the trailer, Malek absolutely nails Freddie's stage presence and moves.
Seven Costanza
AG

Trivia about their logo:

The Queen Crest was designed by Freddie Mercury shortly before the release of their first album.

The logo features the zodiac signs of all four members: two lions for Leo (Deacon and Taylor), a crab for Cancer (May), and two fairies for Virgo (Mercury). The lions are embracing a stylised letter Q, the crab is resting atop the Q with flames rising directly above it, and the fairies are each sheltering below a lion. There is also a crown inside the Q and the whole logo is over-shadowed by an enormous phoenix.

The whole symbol bears a passing resemblance to the Royal coat of arms of the United Kingdom, particularly with the lion supporters. The original logo, as found on the reverse-side of the first album cover, was a simple line drawing but more intricate colour versions were used on later album covers.
https://goodlogo.com/extended.info/queen-logo-3009

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.