*** Bohemiam Rhapsody ***

46,773 Views | 353 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Bruce Almighty
Zombie Jon Snow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Blatant Disregard said:

We were having some confessions earlier in this thread and I've got a couple of my own.

1. I have heard "Fat bottomed girl" 1000+ times in my life but never realized it was Queen. I honestly thought they were just doing a cover in the movie.

2. Is it common knowledge that it was Freddy Mercury on with David Bowie on "Under Pressure"? Good lord I'm an idiot.

3 "Don't stop me now" is now my favorite Queen song but I hadn't ever heard it till the credits of this movie.

What is it with Queen being all over the place but without the notoriety as other bands? I'm 35 btw, so too young to experience them in person.

Ummmm......ok. I'll be open minded here but....

1. ok. very much a Queen sound. unmistakable really. I don't know how you could know who Queen/Freddie was and not instantly recognize 95% of their songs as him/them. But that might be the problem - because of your age you don't just know who they are or he was.

2. ummm yea it is/was a Queen song...WITH David Bowie not the other way around. So I think yeah most people knew it was Freddie. It is widely recognized as a Queen song and was not on any David Bowie Albums (unless it made some compilations I am unaware of). I guess (other than some intro and various sound effects early on) that Bowie sings first and maybe more prominently until the 2nd verse and the later big choruses which is lots of Freddie.

3. Great song. It's likely not played much on classic rock stations though so not totally surprising. It was probably too melodic for that.

So Queen was an odd thing that never quite graviatated with US audiences the way they did with worldwide audiences. That's part of the lack of notoriety and they really did not tour here s much because of that.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG

by the way if you want to see something just purely unabashedly hilarious.... watch Paul Rudd's lip sync of "Don't Stop me Now" on Jimmy Fallon when it kicks into gear and he starts "dancing"...wow:

starts about 4:20

MooreTrucker
AG
One of these days I'm gonna start a thread about just how awesome Paul Rudd actually is
agdoc2001
AG
FINALLY watched this over the weekend. I'm a huge fan of Queen, but don't get to the theater pretty much ever (kids) so I had to wait for the release on dvd to watch it at home. So, a few thoughts...

Firstly, I enjoyed the movie. I'm glad I bought it and will watch it again. I may play the Live Aid Concert multiple times in the future and just watch that. However, I was initially really excited about picking Rami to portray Freddie, but I ended up a little disappointed. He did a decent job, but wasn't quite what I wanted. The mouth prosthesis was overdone. Yeah, Freddie had a jacked up grille with an overbite, but the prosthesis was so over the top, it was all I could look at any time Rami was on camera. It could have been done with a bit more subtlety or just removed entirely.

Secondly, Freddie was not a small guy. He was 5'10" and pretty muscular (by 80s standards). He had a commanding, powerful stage presence which made him one of the best front men of all time. Rami looked too small. He's like 5'7" and looked every bit of it in the film. On stage, Freddie struts, but Rami kind of sashays.

Bryan May casting was nails.

I liked the Mike Myers scene. Myers is cheesy and has basically been doing derivations of the Scottish father for years, but Wayne's World is what introduced me to Queen and it was a cool throwback for me personally.

How did the movie not end with "These are the days of our lives"? OK, The show must go on is pretty good too.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Watched it last night and I liked it, but didn't love it. The parts were better than the sum IMO. The casting was nails, the performances were great, individual scenes were great, but the movie felt rushed and not very well put together.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.