What has happened to Hollywood

4,938 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 15 days ago by Stat Monitor Repairman
fig96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think you're still romanticizing this a lot, not to mention underselling the VFX factor.

I mean, if we take the top 20 from 1980-1989, all of the top 11 and 15 of the top 20 would be considered action/big budget type films. There were a few more smaller films, but you see a few of those in almost every calendar year (for 2017 it was Get Out, Greatest Showman, and technically Logan).

The 90s have similar numbers, not to mention the most important year in modern cinema history IMO: 1993. Jurassic Park came out (preceded by the almost as groundbreaking T2 and followed by Toy Story) and changed the game entirely.

From that point filmmakers could make the movies they'd never been able to make before and the content followed as we'd expect. Twister, Men in Black, Armageddon, Lost World, and the Pixar films started it off and things snowballed from there.

Soon we'd have The Matrix, the Star Wars prequels, and LOTR before moving into the Marvel films and the rebirth of animated features. But big budget spectacles have always been the headliners, and had digital VFX happened earlier we'd have seen the same shift.
oragator
fig96 said:

BI think you're still romanticizing this a lot, not to mention underselling the VFX factor.

I mean, if we take the top 20 from 1980-1989, all of the top 11 and 15 of the top 20 would be considered action/big budget type films. There were a few more smaller films, but you see a few of those in almost every calendar year (for 2017 it was Get Out, Greatest Showman, and technically Logan).

The 90s have similar numbers, not to mention the most important year in modern cinema history IMO: 1993. Jurassic Park came out (preceded by the almost as groundbreaking T2 and followed by Toy Story) and changed the game entirely.

From that point filmmakers could make the movies they'd never been able to make before and the content followed as we'd expect. Twister, Men in Black, Armageddon, Lost World, and the Pixar films started it off and things snowballed from there.

Soon we'd have The Matrix, the Star Wars prequels, and LOTR before moving into the Marvel films and the rebirth of animated features. But big budget spectacles have always been the headliners, and had digital VFX happened earlier we'd have seen the same shift.
As I said, sci fi and sequels will always do well and vfx advances absolutely matter.. I was speaking more about the movies like Ghost, three men and a baby, fatal attraction, grease, the sting, the godfather, Tootsie, crocodile Dundee, Home Alone, An Officer and a Gentleman, the sixth sense, dances with wolves etc.
Other than American sniper (and I purposely left out war movies as well as some franchises like a one as they have been pretty timeless and survived the change), not one of those types of movies is on this decades list in the top 30.
I am not asking for comic movies to go away, and I love sci fi...am only asking for a bit more diversity in big budget filming. Throw some of us a bone every once in a while
schmendeler
AG
I don't understand the focus on big budget. Transformers has a big budget and they're terrible.

What about:
The revenant
Birdman
The post
Spotlight
La la Land
Three billboards
Churchill
Dunkirk
Just of the top of my head in like 30 seconds.

There are tons of great drama movies with recognizable actors in them.
fig96
AG
Right, but just because those films aren't top 30 box office doesn't mean there aren't great genre films like that being made, not to mention that box office numbers are actually a terrible judge of cinematic quality. If you lower your sample size you'll also get a much clearer picture.

Looking at just last year, we had Get Out, Dunkirk, It, Logan, Baby Driver, Coco, Wonder, Split, Girls Trip, John Wick Ch 2, The Post, The Shape of Water, Three Billboards, and Atomic Blonde.

You're also interchanging "big budget" with "success" and those are two very different things. Almost none of the films you're talking about were big budget movies.
oragator
schmendeler said:

I don't understand the focus on big budget. Transformers has a big budget and they're terrible.

What about:
The revenant
Birdman
The post
Spotlight
La la Land
Three billboards
Churchill
Dunkirk

I have seen most of those.
Of course a big budget isn't a guarantee of success or quality, but it becomes far more likely - top script writers, directors, top production value and top actors where needed are all things a budget can buy. Even back in the days big money movies like Ishtar, Out of Africa etc bombed, but all things being equal most of us would rather go to a big budget film. Would just like to see a larger money commitment from studios on more diverse movies. The audience is there.

With that I shall return to work. If folks disagree that's fine.

fig96
AG
oragator said:

schmendeler said:

What about:
The revenant
Birdman
The post
Spotlight
La la Land
Three billboards
Churchill
Dunkirk

Of course a big budget isn't a guarantee of success or quality, but it becomes far more likely - top script writers, directors, top production value and top actors where needed are all things a budget can buy. Even back in the days big money movies like Ishtar, Out of Africa etc bombed, but all things being equal most of us would rather go to a big budget film. Would just like to see a larger money commitment from studios on more diverse movies. The audience is there.

Again, this is not accurate. From you own list...
Quote:

I was speaking more about the movies like Ghost, three men and a baby, fatal attraction, grease, the sting, the godfather, Tootsie, crocodile Dundee, Home Alone, An Officer and a Gentleman, the sixth sense, dances with wolves etc.
Few to none of those are big budget films.
TMoney2007
AG
oragator said:

schmendeler said:

What about:
The revenant
Birdman
The post
Spotlight
La la Land
Three billboards
Churchill
Dunkirk

You want them to spend $200mil on a character driven drama? Those movies just don't cost as much to make.

For your example of The Sting, the budget was $5.5mm which is about $30mm in current dollars. The Post cost $50mm. The Darkest Hour was $30mm. Office Christmas Party was $45mm.

They're still spending roughly the same amount of money to make a drama or a comedy. There's just a whole other tier of movies with a new level of spending. The "big budget" dramas and comedies are still being made. Now there's just a mega-budget category. What also didn't exist before was a whole tier of very high quality micro-budget films that are enabled by digital technology.

All in all, more quality content is probably being made now than during any previous period in film history. The fact that the OP can't find a movie he wants to watch on one particular day doesn't change that fact.
Stat Monitor Repairman

It's 2024 and we doing development deals for movies based off a board game.

Is this a new low?

But on the other hand, Americans will eat it up. They wouldn't do it if they didn't think they could sell it.
An L of an Ag
AG
Meh. I'll wait for the "Axis and Allies" movie.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Forgot that they already did this with Battleship. My bad.
bluefire579
AG
Clue, D&D (x2), and Ouija as well
Quad Dog
AG
Weird thread bump
The Porkchop Express
AG
An L of an Ag said:

Meh. I'll wait for the "Axis and Allies" movie.
Catapults and crossbows!

Stat Monitor Repairman

Who stars in hungry hungry hippos?

Possible product placement crossover with Ozempic?

Smell gold here..
Belton Ag
AG
I saw the date on the OP and thought "Stat Monitor Repairman strikes again." I wasn't wrong.
Heineken-Ashi
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Smell gold here..
Hungry Hungry Hobos - The San Francisco Story

“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
The Porkchop Express
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Smell gold here..
Stat Monitor Repairman

Guy is of the opinion that having instant streaming access to everything thats ever been is hindering development of new art and that explains the stagnation on new movies and shows.

Probably right. Humans not designed to have instant access to all media, all the time. Our brains haven't adapted to that. We might be in creative doldrum for many years as machines take over the creation of art.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.