Raiders of the Lost Ark

9,828 Views | 97 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by HalifaxAg
Cepe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
chipotle said:

Did yall know that it says in the bible not to look at or touch the ark?
Well, we'll see when they dig it up on Oak Island.
chipotle
I googled on the internet "how does indy know not to look" and it came up with that and that there was a deleted scene where the old guy giving him staff/medallion translations said not to touch or look if it was opened.
cr0wbar
AG
WE NAMED THE DOG INDIANA, WE NAMED YOU HENRY!

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

An Indy movie set during WWII working as a spy and artifact collector would have been awesome on so many levels.
Yes, this is the movie that I want to see. I'm okay with re-casting Indy to make it more credible than 80(?)-year-old Ford.
Capitol Ag
AG
MW03 said:

Seems to me that if Indy and Marion don't show up, then Belloq opens the Ark and everyone dies. But the Nazis would have known where the troop movements were and probably sent more to find Belloq and the Ark. So when they show up and find the Ark and the dead bodies, maybe they figure out that the Ark is a kind of doomsday device. Maybe the information makes it way to Himmler who decides to open it at Auschwitz.

So Indy and Marion open their eyes, see what happened, escape where they connect with US/Allied assets and retrieve the Ark before the Nazis can track it down and potentially use it to exterminate the Jews in concentration camps or otherwise turn it into a weapon to win WW2.

There you go. Indy saved the world.

Except, I contend that the angels in the Ark would not have actually hurt Indy nor Marion. They would have realized (or more correctly put, would have already known) that they were not here for evil as the Nazis were and would have spared them. Just as they would have spared, IMO, the rest of the world had the Nazis tried to use it as a doomsday device. For instance, if used at a concentration camp, I would think that would backfire on the Nazis. The Jews were the chosen people and the Ark contained their laws. This probably doesn't go well for the group trying to oppress the chosen people of God.

And I am in no way trying to make light of the actual Holocaust. Just pointing out that the story, if taken for more than face value, has a lot of dynamic elements in terms of the Ark's power and how it is used. It has a consciousness as shown by what happens after it is opened and obviously connected to the Holy Spirit given its original purpose and use. That consciousness seems intelligent and can probably discern good from bad. But, who knows. We would have to ask Spielberg.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Ag Since 83 said:

Without Indy they get the medallion in Nepal
I always thought that the Nazis trailed Indy to Nepal, so how would they have obtained the medallion otherwise?

Whatever the case, Raiders of the Lost Ark is my second favorite movie of all time. I recall being dubious about the movie en route to the theater that night on June 12, 1981 (I believe that was the opening date). At that point Harrison Ford simply was Han Solo, and while he'd shown up in other movies not containing the words "Star" and "Wars" in their title, he was not just an actor playing a role, he was the guy he was playing. And for me that was Solo. Needless to say, I was blown away by that movie. It epitomizes what movies should be. It doesn't lecture or come at you with some mindless political point, it does not denigrate any particular group, it does not elicit negative emotions, etc etc etc, it simply is a great story with great characters with one of the all-time greatest musical scores.

The Indy vs the Swordsman scene is the single most awesomely hilarious scene I've ever had the pleasure of watching in a theater (almost matched only by Heath Ledger's disappearing pencil trick in The Dark Knight).

The Last Crusade was a rare third picture that actually improved things, particularly with the addition of Sean Connery, and I thus rank that one very highly as well. The Temple of Doom is a fun movie, and I would say the same of The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, but where both of those movies suffer is the lack of Nazis as the villain. Indiana Jones is clearly a Nazi-era character, and he simply works best in that environment. I really would like to see Indy's exploits in Nazi Europe during WWII, but unfortunately, Spielberg said after making Schindler's List that he would never again do a movie with "comic book" Nazis. Probably won't happen.
MW03
AG
Capitol Ag said:

MW03 said:

Seems to me that if Indy and Marion don't show up, then Belloq opens the Ark and everyone dies. But the Nazis would have known where the troop movements were and probably sent more to find Belloq and the Ark. So when they show up and find the Ark and the dead bodies, maybe they figure out that the Ark is a kind of doomsday device. Maybe the information makes it way to Himmler who decides to open it at Auschwitz.

So Indy and Marion open their eyes, see what happened, escape where they connect with US/Allied assets and retrieve the Ark before the Nazis can track it down and potentially use it to exterminate the Jews in concentration camps or otherwise turn it into a weapon to win WW2.

Except, I contend that the angels in the Ark would not have actually hurt Indy nor Marion. They would have realized (or more correctly put, would have already known) that they were not here for evil as the Nazis were and would have spared them. Just as they would have spared, IMO, the rest of the world had the Nazis tried to use it as a doomsday device. For instance, if used at a concentration camp, I would think that would backfire on the Nazis. The Jews were the chosen people and the Ark contained their laws. This probably doesn't go well for the group trying to oppress the chosen people of God.

And I am in no way trying to make light of the actual Holocaust. Just pointing out that the story, if taken for more than face value, has a lot of dynamic elements in terms of the Ark's power and how it is used. It has a consciousness as shown by what happens after it is opened and obviously connected to the Holy Spirit given its original purpose and use. That consciousness seems intelligent and can probably discern good from bad. But, who knows. We would have to ask Spielberg.

I don't know, man. My old testament is a little rusty, but wasn't a dude struck dead just carrying the thing when it touched him while he was trying to prevent it from being dropped? Even Indy and Sallah knew to use the polls. Then again, if Spielberg was a literalist, the Nazis should have been killed when they picked up the lid, so who knows.
Trident 88
AG
I was 16 when this movie was released. I saw it in a small movie theatre in downtown La Grange. This place was a really old dump that smelled gross and had folding wooden seats, and I was uncomfortable the entire time.

I have never enjoyed a movie experience more. It might be because it was the only movie that I ever saw with my dad, but I think it was just the movie. Nothing will ever top it.
Capitol Ag
AG
MW03 said:

Capitol Ag said:

MW03 said:

I don't know, man. My old testament is a little rusty, but wasn't a dude struck dead just carrying the thing when it touched him while he was trying to prevent it from being dropped? Even Indy and Sallah knew to use the polls. Then again, if Spielberg was a literalist, the Nazis should have been killed when they picked up the lid, so who knows.
I don't know either as I am not by any means an expert the on Old Testament, but in this case, the power that killed all Nazis in that scene seems to be initiated by the angels released when the Ark is opened, not in the touching of any part of the vessel. The angels seem to float around, assessing the situation before they unleash their wrath. Which is partly why I contend they spare the 2 bound obviously against their will.
MW03
AG
TCTTS, if you ever meet Spielberg, I need closure on this one. Would the Ark have killed Indy and Marion had they opened their eyes?

This conversation spurred one other thought from Sunday School lessons of the past. Moses once asked to see God, and he was informed that he could only see the Lord's back because anyone who saw his face would die. Supposedly why he was so scared of the burning bush, aside of course from the fact that a bush was on fire and speaking to him about making sure he took his shoes off.

Quote:

17 So the LORD said to Moses, "I will also do this thing that you have spoken; for you have found grace in My sight, and I know you by name." 18 And he said, "Please, show me Your glory." 19 Then He said, "I will make all My goodness pass before you, and I will proclaim the name of the LORD before you. I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion." 20 But He said, "You cannot see My face; for no man shall see Me, and live." 21 And the LORD said, "Here is a place by Me, and you shall stand on the rock. 22 "So it shall be, while My glory passes by, that I will put you in the cleft of the rock, and will cover you with My hand while I pass by. 23 "Then I will take away My hand, and you shall see My back; but My face shall not be seen." (Exodus 33:17-23)

So maybe Spielberg was playing on that a little and it was the Holy Ghost that Belloq et al saw and caused them to die.
Capitol Ag
AG
MW03 said:

TCTTS, if you ever meet Spielberg, I need closure on this one. Would the Ark have killed Indy and Marion had they opened their eyes?

This conversation spurred one other thought from Sunday School lessons of the past. Moses once asked to see God, and he was informed that he could only see the Lord's back because anyone who saw his face would die. Supposedly why he was so scared of the burning bush, aside of course from the fact that a bush was on fire and speaking to him about making sure he took his shoes off.

Quote:

17 So the LORD said to Moses, "I will also do this thing that you have spoken; for you have found grace in My sight, and I know you by name." 18 And he said, "Please, show me Your glory." 19 Then He said, "I will make all My goodness pass before you, and I will proclaim the name of the LORD before you. I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion." 20 But He said, "You cannot see My face; for no man shall see Me, and live." 21 And the LORD said, "Here is a place by Me, and you shall stand on the rock. 22 "So it shall be, while My glory passes by, that I will put you in the cleft of the rock, and will cover you with My hand while I pass by. 23 "Then I will take away My hand, and you shall see My back; but My face shall not be seen." (Exodus 33:17-23)

So maybe Spielberg was playing on that a little and it was the Holy Ghost that Belloq et al saw and caused them to die.

This is plausible and maybe why Indy knew to tell Marion to close her eyes.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
One of only two films that I consider to be "perfect films."

This and Casablanca. Weirdly enough, both have Nazis in them. Don't know what that says about me.
Capitol Ag
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

This and Casablanca. Weirdly enough, both have Nazis in them. Don't know what that says about me.
The Nazis are the perfect enemy. Hell, the Empire in Star Wars are basically Nazis. They were/are the ultimate evil.
dah4439
AG
The discrepancy that always bugged me was when he boarded the submarine, but was able to ride the whole way on the outside of the sub to the island?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

Back to the Future
Empire Strikes Back
Jurassic Park

And Raiders.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

Back to the Future
Empire Strikes Back
Jurassic Park

And Raiders.
Ghostbusters?

And while I love Jurassic Park, the kids keep it from being perfect.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
dah4439 said:

The discrepancy that always bugged me was when he boarded the submarine, but was able to ride the whole way on the outside of the sub to the island?
In a making-of book, there was a photo of Harrison Ford clutching the periscope with the sub submerged beneath him. Don't know if that was simply a publicity photo, or a scene they didn't finish or chose not to include...
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

Back to the Future
Empire Strikes Back
Jurassic Park

And Raiders.
For me the list would be

The Empire Strikes Back
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Patton
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Alien
Bruce Almighty
AG
Die Hard?
Terminator?
Cepe
AG
Shawshank has to be up there
RVAg02
AG
MW03 said:

Quote:

This is what I've always assumed was behind this scene.
Trident 88
AG
2 more all time favorites, but neither one as good as Raiders of the Lost Ark:
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Guardians of the Galaxy
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

Back to the Future
Empire Strikes Back
Jurassic Park

And Raiders.
Everyone has their own idea of "perfection." Those are great films, but not quite what I consider to be "perfect."

Although BttF comes really damn close. It has one of the most well-plotted scripts ever; everything in it is timed so well, it's almost like watching a well-oiled machine.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I honestly can't come up with a single complaint for BttF.
Quad Dog
AG
But God struck down some of the inhabitants of Beth Shemesh, putting seventy of them to death because they looked into the ark of the Lord.
1 Samuel 6:19

Quote:

Although BttF comes really damn close. It has one of the most well-plotted scripts ever; everything in it is timed so well, it's almost like watching a well-oiled machine.
You can find a ton of articles online about how different this movie was from the script (Ghostbusters too). Doesn't lessen the movie any, just interesting how different some movies turn out from the original script.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG

1972 Godfather
1975 Jaws
1977 Star Wars
1979 Alien
1980 Empire Strikes Back
1981 Raiders of the Lost Ark
1982 ET
1984 Terminator
1985 Back to the Future
1986 Aliens (and some might put Top Gun?)
1988 Die Hard
1990 Goodfellas and Hunt for Red October
1991 Terminator 2 and Silence of the Lambs
1993 Jurassic Park
1994 Shawshank Redemption
1995 Braveheart and Se7en
1997 Good Will Hunting and Titanic
1998 Saving Private Ryan
1999 The Matrix

That's kinda the heydey of just insanely perfect movies.......imho

After that there are some really really good movies, but none of them would I put in the echelon of those except maybe

2008 The Dark Knight

I mean you have TLOR (but only RotK was that great) and Gladiator and Avatar and PotC movies and the HP movies and some MCU movies - in the 00s.

and in the 10's you have new SW movies and MCU movies and more HP movies but none are perfect by any means.

It just seems like there are more really good movies maybe, but not better movies.

double aught
AG
Most movies you listed are original stories. You don't see that nearly as much with action/adventure movies these days.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
For those who say Indy didn't change the ending, what is head Nazi on site had decided to take the Ark to the front lines of the war and test it on the Allies as soon as the found it? Or ship it to Washington DC?

Indy #5 better be about Atlantis. I've been hearing that rumor for 25 years.

double aught
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Fellowship of the Ring is the best choice for 2001. Also happens to be the best LOTR film.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Fellowship of the Ring is the best choice for 2001. Also happens to be the best LOTR film.
Agree with this. Return of the King may have been awarded Best Picture, but The Fellowship of the Ring was a better movie.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
BernArnold said:

1972 Godfather
1975 Jaws
1977 Star Wars
1979 Alien
1980 Empire Strikes Back
1981 Raiders of the Lost Ark
1982 ET
1984 Terminator
1985 Back to the Future
1986 Aliens (and some might put Top Gun?)
1988 Die Hard
1990 Goodfellas and Hunt for Red October
1991 Terminator 2 and Silence of the Lambs
1993 Jurassic Park
1994 Shawshank Redemption
1995 Braveheart and Se7en
1997 Good Will Hunting and Titanic
1998 Saving Private Ryan
1999 The Matrix

That's kinda the heydey of just insanely perfect movies.......imho

After that there are some really really good movies, but none of them would I put in the echelon of those except maybe

2008 The Dark Knight

I mean you have TLOR (but only RotK was that great) and Gladiator and Avatar and PotC movies and the HP movies and some MCU movies - in the 00s.

and in the 10's you have new SW movies and MCU movies and more HP movies but none are perfect by any means.

It just seems like there are more really good movies maybe, but not better movies.

The Godfather is perfect. Yet The Godfather II is even better.
The Sting is also a perfect movie.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Back to the Future is a perfect movie.

The only thing that comes close in the last 20 years is the Dark Knight or Guardians of the Galaxy.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Surprisingl how Pixar gets overlooked with these perfect movie discussions.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.