****Books Read in 2018****

15,235 Views | 119 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by YouBet
Diggity
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
yeah...it does end up being pretty sci-fi/fantasy heavy.
Frok
AG
Some recent reads of mine:

The Martian - Andy Weir - Enjoyed this little nerd flick more than I thought I would
Ship of Fools - Tucker Carlson - Don't usually read political books but decided I wanted to be angry for a bit
Church History in Plain Language: Bruce Shelley A little dry but just a simple high level overview

Currently Reading:

Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches, the Most Powerful Indian Tribe in American History: S.C. Gwynne - If you are in to Texas history then you should read this. Fascinating read. I've learned a lot of interesting facts about Texas and the Comanches that I never knew

Zemira
AG
I'm unemployed this year, so I have read more this year probably since high school.

A sampling of my favorites:

The Survivor by Vince Flynn and Kyle Mills - so Flynn passed away and now Kyle Mills is writing in his stead. I was really hesitant to pick up something with characters not written by the original author. I was pleasantly surprised. Maybe not exactly what I thought Flynn would have done, but really close. I love the whole genre with a spy/military man saving the world.

The Late Show by Michael Connelly - I love Harry Bosch and Mickey Haller in his books, but it was time for him to introduce a new main character. I like the new character, not especially sure about the actual story in the book. Just seems to be missing something, but I like Ballard.

Dark Sacred Night by Michael Connelly (just finished came out 3 weeks ago) - I liked the story more than the first book with Ballard and of course Bosch. Although Bosch is getting old, no other way to say it. Just wondering what the future holds for his character.

David Archer - so I kinda stumbled across his books. He is an independent author and only publishes on Kindle. He has a couple different main characters. One is Noah Wolf and the whole concept is unique? It's about a government agency that is made up of assassin's but the premise is a bit different. Sometimes he trys really hard to write in really normal scenes about dinner and things. I can't say I have ever seen this in a bestselling author, but I guess he wants that in his book. With a publisher they would probably have him rewrite or cut those scenes. His books are on Kindle Unlimited or I probably wouldn't have read more than a book or two. Overall good for me because it's included in a monthly price for reading versus buying all the books.
MAROON
AG

collection of his speeches put together by his son. really a nice read.
chiken
AG
I finished Dumplin' and Puddin' by a texags users wife Julie Murphy. She's a great young adult writer. I'd highly recommend these light reads.
nai06
AG
chiken said:

I finished Dumplin' and Puddin' by a texags users wife Julie Murphy. She's a great young adult writer. I'd highly recommend these light reads.

Send a letter and a SASE to her PO Box and mention Texags. I'll have her send you some patches and a signed bookplate.
KidDoc
AG
Iron Gold (Brown) A-: like several others it took me some time to get back into the world/characters but it ended well and it is just such a fascinating combination of ancient Rome and ultra sci-fi. Hope the movie comes through.

Way of Kings (Sanderson) - A+ this was my 2nd read. I tried starting Oathbringer and was pretty lost so just restarted the series. It was much better this round IMO.

Artemis (Audiobook)- A+ I loved this book and the reader captured the snarky young lady main character perfectly.

Re-read of Words of Radiance- A+ even better than the first round

Oathbringer: A+ loved it- I was even a bit surprised by the reveal towards the end. The shadesmar parts are not my favorite that is a bit "out there" for me.

Dark Tower #1 Audio- B
Dark Tower #2 Audio- A

Kings of the Wyld by Nicholas Eames A++ - I don't remember why I picked this up sometime in the past but it was on my Kindle and so I read it after Oathbringer. Oh man what a fun ride this book is! It reminds me of me and my teen buddies sitting around playing D&D. Lots of humor and adventure. It is kind of like Abercrombie's books with more humor and fantasy. Highly Recommend trying this.

Up Next: Bloody Rose by Eames (book 2)

Listening: Dark Tower book #3- really enjoying this one. Blaine!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
chiken
AG
nai06 said:

chiken said:

Send a letter and a SASE to her PO Box and mention Texags. I'll have her send you some patches and a signed bookplate.

Where do I find such PO Box information?

Also, these are library books, so I probably couldn't put a bookplate in them.
nai06
AG
chiken said:

nai06 said:

chiken said:

Where do I find such PO Box information?

Also, these are library books, so I probably couldn't put a bookplate in them.

http://juliemurphywrites.com/contact/
kapon
AG
Finished Sanderson's Stormlight Archive last night.
Hate having to wait for next one.
I am guessing it will be out in 2020.
GIG 'EM!
Post removed:
by user
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
CastleRock said:

Just started Cryptonomicon.
Great title ! What's it about ?
Clavell
AG
That was first Neal Stephenson book I read. I had mixed feelings about that one. Certainly not a light read, but it got my interest enough to read a majority of his other novels.
Clavell
AG
End of year summary:
1) Branden Sanderson's The Way of Kings. (A)
2) David Baldacci's The Camel Club. (B-)
3) Preston & Child's City of Endless Night. (B+)
4) Louis Bayard's The Black Tower. (B)
5) Brandon Sanderson's Words of Radiance (A)
6) David Grann's Killers of the Flower Moon (NF) (A)
7) Dan Simmons' The Terror (A-)
8) Jo Nesbo's Cockroaches (B)
9) Brandon Sanderson's Edgedancer (B)
10) Brandon Sanderson's Oathbringer (A)
11) Norman Mailers' The Executioner's Song (NF) (B+)
12) Joe R. Lansdale's Savage Season. (B+)
13) Collin Cotterill's The Cororner's Lunch (B+)
14) Tom Holland's Dynasty: The Rise and Fall of the House of Caesar (NF) (B+)
15) Greg Iles' The Quiet Game (A)
16) Peter V. Brett's The Warded Man (B)
17) Will Thomas' Some Danger Involved (B+)
18) Janet Morris' I, The Sun. (B)
19) Dean Koontz's Lightening (B)
20) Peter V. Brett's The Desert Spear (A-)
21) Thomas L. Friedman's From Beirut to Jerusalem (NF) (B+)
Forum Troll
AG
My books for the year, half from one author:

1) Way of Kings
2) Words of Radiance
3) Edgedancer
4) Oathbringer
5,6,7) Mistborn Trilogy
8,9,10) Wax and Wayne
All Sanderson books, all A+

11,12,13,14,15,16) Codex Alera series
Jim Butcher, all very good A as well.

17) 1984 by Orwell, A+

18) Man in High Castle by Phillip K Dick, D-
I posted this in the other book thread but this book had no cohesion between the main storylines, had confusing writing especially with the Japanese characters and the I Ching stuff, and then it just ended abruptly and nonsensically. Only 2 or 3 interesting scenes in the entire book and the premise of Axis winning WW2 prevents this from being an F.

19) Harvey Penick's Little Red Book, A+
Must read for any golfers, not necessarily going to help your game but just little excerpts from a legendary golf teacher's life.

20) A number a DC comics: Doomsday Clock, Watchmen, most of Geoff John's Green Lantern run, new Superman and Action Comics from Bendis, some Batman, new Justice Leagues, new Green Lantern from Grant Morrison (holy **** is this trippy) and from Image comics Gideon Falls (non comic readers would enjoy this) and Oblivion Song (from TWD creator).

Just started Malazan Book of the Fallen but that'll be for 2019.
YouBet
AG
Haven't made much progress since last posting:

1. Grave Peril (The Dresden Files #3) - Jim Butcher
2. Rules for a Knight - Ethan Hawke
3. Cibola Burn (Expanse #4) - James Corey
4. Stephen King's Darktower: The Gunslinger Born (Graphic Novel) - Peter David
5. The Abyss Beyond Dreams - Peter F. Hamilton
6. Half a King - Joe Abercrobmie
7. A Night without Stars - Peter F. Hamilton
8. American Gods - Neil Gaiman
9. Agincourt - Bernard Cornwell
10. The Well of Ascension (Mistborn #2) - Brandon Sanderson
11. Heir to the Empire - Timothy Zahn

Currently reading:
The Keep - F. Paul Wilson...I expect to finish this before end of year. It's a quick read and quite entertaining. Hard to go wrong with WWII Nazis and horror.

Abandoned:
2312 - Kim Stanley Robinson; very boring book yet somehow won Nebula Award

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.