*** MUDBOUND ***

2,896 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Jim01
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just got out of a screening and man, what a movie. So good but brutal as hell. I don't know how or why but I'm inadvertently on this streak lately of movies that land one hell of a gut punch. The difference here, though, is the heartwarming note it offers in return, one that truly sets it above the rest for me. That, and the fantastic performances across the board from an incredible cast of familiar and new faces alike. With a 95% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, it'll definitely be in the awards conversation in the coming months, potentially in a number of categories, as Netflix continues to carve their way into that space. It hits the platform on November 17, but will also see a same-day limited theatrical release.

In full disclosure, I'm producing a project with one of the production companies behind this, and I was invited to the screening through them. It was held at Netflix's new headquarters in Hollywood, and holy hell that's an amazing complex and seems like it'd be such a cool place to work. I got a mini tour of a couple of the floors, then they took us to an awesome commissary area to grab some snacks and drinks beforehand. Just a really great experience all around, but I assure you I didn't let it affect my opinion. The movie speaks for itself, and you can see it for yourself, from home, next week. Definitely give it a shot.

TCTTS
AG
Yeah, that's a good point about more people being able to see what would otherwise be a limited theatrical run. The exposure angle will be interesting to track for sure.

As for the movie watching environment, it was a three-row, 20-or-so leather seat "theater," with probably a 15-foot wide screen, maybe four feet from the ground. Felt like a really high-end home theater, with just a hint of a corporate vibe. Not a big space at all, definitely more of a private/executive screening room feel. Incredible sound, though. And I assume there are a handful of the same type of screening rooms throughout the building. I've done intimate/private before, but nothing quite like this. There were maybe 10 people invited, and the only other person I knew was one of my producing partners who I was with.
TCTTS
AG
Sorry, wasn't trying to be coy. I posted about it a couple months back...

https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/2872275
Rex Racer
AG
This look really, really good. Can't wait to check it out!
Col. Steve Austin
AG
Looks strong, will definitely have to watch this one!
PatAg
AG
Interested to see Hedlund in a role like this. I thought he showed a lot of promiisenin some of his earlier roles then he seemed to have bad luck choosing quality movies
TCTTS
AG
He's REALLY good in this. The movie does a great job of focusing on like five different characters or so and making each feel like the lead at times, but Hedlund's role ultimately feels like the anchor in a way, and he knocks it out of the park. He finally comes across as the movie star he's showed hints of potentially being.
TCTTS
AG
Reminder that this hits Netflix at midnight.
schmendeler
AG
this looks pretty twisty. in a good way.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, sorry, midnight PST. Netflix usually waits til then. But it's up now.
Max Power
AG
Got around to watching last night and it was solid. Hedlund really impressed me. I don't know if he's done anything I thought was great since FNL.
Rex Racer
AG
My wife and I watched this on Sunday afternoon. We really enjoyed it. Great acting all around, and an engaging story.
jeffk
AG
Loved it. Extremely well-acted and written. Story was very compelling and the multiple narrators was a nice touch. Some cringy moments later in the film, but I thought it was a masterpiece of story-telling.
Jab
AG
I just watched it last night and also really liked it. It felt like there was enough story there to sustain a full TV season, but I enjoyed the movie format.
Jim01
AG
Don't know how I didn't know this was on NetFlix. I kept checking theaters to find a showing until I saw NetFlix mentioned in an Oscar burb.

Wow. Was not expecting that to be that good. To me it deserves to be right up there in the Best Picture race. Really went told with the multiple narratives, well acted, well shot, just well made from start to finish. Also I am usually a sap when it comes to movies. I cry all the time. This year's Oscar crop, while good, hasn't tugged at me though until this movie. I got misty a couple times.

Big thumbs up!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.