Country Guitarists

7,042 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Ribeye-Rare
Bobby Ewing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Jimmy Capps
The Lost
Redstone said:

Jason Aldean
Randy Houser
Chase Rice
Luke Bryan
Dierks Bentley
Thomas Rhett
Chris Janson
Jerrod Niemann

I think you missed Sam Hunt too
aggiebonzo
AG
Not a lot of guitar heroes in country music but does Tommy Emmanuel count?

Also, the sweedish guitarist that tours with Sturgill Simpson is probably the best in the biz.
Redstone
AG
Agree about Sam Hunt, would also add Jake Owen, Brian Kelley, and Tyler Hubbard.
TresPuertas
AG
I had the pleasure of seeing Laur Jomets play with Sturgill Simpson on his first tour and it wasn't the best country guitarist I've ever seen, it was flat out the best guitar player I've ever seen in my life. If y'all have a chance, look him up, dude is an absolute assassin
JD05AG
AG
I have to admit Vince Gill is pretty good.
WestGalvestonAggie

John Inmon.
rbtexan
S
Reggie Young. His discography is amazing, played on everything from "I Think I'll Just Stay Here And Drink" and "That's The Way Love Goes" to Elvis' "Suspicious Minds" and "In The Ghetto". A couple of other notables he played on (although you could list hundreds) were Dusty Springfield's "Son Of A Preacher Man" and Dobie Gray's "Drift Away".

Going farther back, Hank Garland was pretty legendary. His career was cut short by a bad automobile accident. In addition to playing on a ton of country records (like Patsy Cline), he was also a brilliant jazz guitarist.

Stupe
S
aggiebonzo said:

Not a lot of guitar heroes in country music but does Tommy Emmanuel count?

Also, the sweedish guitarist that tours with Sturgill Simpson is probably the best in the biz.
Only to the uneducated.
DrEvazanPhD
Junior Brown.
Big Cat `93
AG
Tommy Emmanuel is ridiculous.
Macarthur
TresPuertas said:

I had the pleasure of seeing Laur Jomets play with Sturgill Simpson on his first tour and it wasn't the best country guitarist I've ever seen, it was flat out the best guitar player I've ever seen in my life. If y'all have a chance, look him up, dude is an absolute assassin

He is amazing. Sturgill announced a while back that Laur is leaving to pursue his own thing so Sturgill is going to be playing more lead moving forward.
Macarthur

The second one even shows of a bit of Sturgill's chops.
FabricatorAg
Cody Canada can shred a guitar, his voice was less nasally during Ragweed.
I like mullets, and bourbon whiskey..
Philo B 93
Macarthur said:

TresPuertas said:

He is amazing. Sturgill announced a while back that Laur is leaving to pursue his own thing so Sturgill is going to be playing more lead moving forward.

I watched a video of Sturgill and thought he was lucky to find some unknown guitarist who might be from a small southern town or something. Then I did some research and found out he was basically the Stevie Ray Vaughn of Sweden or Norway or somewhere like that.

OP already mentioned Brad Paisley, but his guitar playing blows my mind.
AggieChemist
AG
Thom Bresh
BurnetAggie99
Two pages in and no mention of Waylon Jennings yet

Ag00Ag
AG
https://web.musicaficionado.com/main.html#!/article/9_bluegrass_shredders_who_will_fry_your_brain_by_genesantoro
Jim01
AG
Like others said, his recent music stinks but Keith Urban can slang. There is a CMT Cross Roads episode with him and John Mayer that is quality.

In addition to being an insane lyricist, Jason Isbell can play a mean guitar.
aggiemike89
AG
Mac MacAnally and Peter Mayer (Jimmy Buffett's guitarists) are pretty good.
petey88
Philo B 93 said:

Macarthur said:

TresPuertas said:

I watched a video of Sturgill and thought he was lucky to find some unknown guitarist who might be from a small southern town or something. Then I did some research and found out he was basically the Stevie Ray Vaughn of Sweden or Norway or somewhere like that.

OP already mentioned Brad Paisley, but his guitar playing blows my mind.

My long time friends & I are huge Rolling Stones fans. Last US tour, Paisley played with them at the Nashville concert for a song. Jagger even put on on a Paisley tee shirt & asked him over the mic, " How do you like my shirt Brad ?".

Kinda rare for country artist to get on stage w/ The Stones
rilloaggie
AG

Verlon Thompson
Ribeye-Rare
AG
Wow! You fellas mentioned some amazing pickers, most of whom were on my list when I saw the OP.

I've really got to agree with Human on James Burton -- while Burton was not strictly a country picker, there was a damn good reason Merle Haggard used him on several of his earlier studio recordings, in spite of having Roy Nichols in the studio at the same time!

Speaking of Roy, he'd be on my list too. With steel man Norm Hamlet working with and off him, he formed a big part of the Merle Haggard 'sound'.

Finally, I've got to mention Buck Owens' lead man Don Rich. Owens and his music were never the same after Rich died an untimely death when he was only 32.
Garrelli 5000
AG
2 pages and no mention of Albert Lee?

Southlake
Glen Campbell was know as the "Best picker in the State of Arkansas" before he left to be a studio musician in SoCal with the famous Wrecking Crew.

Read all this. A few of the picks are in Campbells class. Roy Clark definitely one.

Sadly Glen will be gone soon...
Aggies76
AG
Glen was also a Beach Boy for a short time. Once upon a time he was about the only musician I listened to. Such a talent.

By the way OP, this is an awesome thread.
Ribeye-Rare
AG
To hear three of the pickers mentioned in this thread on one single, check out the original studio recording of Haggard's Mama Tried, which turns 50 next year.

James Burton - dobro (that's his intro and playing throughout)

Roy Nichols - electric

Glen Campbell - rhythm

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.