Tom Hardy is VENOM

35,519 Views | 315 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Madmarttigan
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Debt
Disney Spiderman > Sony Spiderman
hurleyag
AG
Disney Spiderman is Sony Spiderman, right?
The Debt
Sony is the McGuire and Garfield Spideys. They are separate from the MCU, and have been terrible imo.
TCTTS
AG
Read the article. This is 100% Sony and not connected to the new MCU Spider-Man. They're calling it "Sony's Marvel Universe." SMU?
Flashdiaz
AG
hurleyag
AG
I see. Just shows that there are too many iterations of of Spiddy out there.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
hurleyag said:

I see. Just shows that there are too many iterations of of Spiddy out there.

Max Power
AG
Great casting, but I'm not sold on Fleisher. I still love Zombieland very much, but the last movie he did was Gangster Squad, which I hated, way too cheesy in a bad way. Since that all he's done per IMDB is a bunch of tv episodes on shows that aren't very good.
nickstro66
AG
That's perfect casting, but I'm so disappointed this won't be in the MCU
rhutton125
AG
^^^ this

Worst case, this just ruins Venom for another 10 years. Best case, we have a cool Venom in a universe without Spider-Man..? It's weird.

Venom may be my favorite character so I'm torn.
Farmer1906
AG
rhutton125 said:

^^^ this

Worst case, this just ruins Venom for another 10 years. Best case, we have a cool Venom in a universe without Spider-Man..? It's weird.

Venom may be my favorite character so I'm torn.
This
BigTimeAlum
AG
nickstro66 said:

That's perfect casting, but I'm so disappointed this won't be in the MCU

Not part of the MCU = I'll wait until streaming/HBO
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
The Debt said:

Sony is the McGuire and Garfield Spideys. They are separate from the MCU, and have been terrible imo.
I thought Spider-Man 2 was a top 5 comic book movie of all-time.
Rex Racer
AG
What? No Topher Grace?
GoAgs92
AG
I wonder what incomprehensible accent he will use....batman, the revenant...I shouldn't have to use closed captioning to watch a movie...unless it's "Trainspotting"

Flashdiaz
AG
The Debt said:

doesn't Venom need to start with spiderman? if so, who are they going to use?
Dro07
AG
Not if they screw up the origin of him like most movies do specifically if it's not tied to MCU
TCTTS
AG
Here's what I think is happening...

- Sony is anticipating this third iteration of Spider-Man to be a massive success, which I'm sure it will be, due to the property's tie to the MCU.

- Sony has been desperate to make an extended Spider-Man cinematic universe since their second reboot with Garfield in 2012. Fairly concrete plans were made to this end, and were definitely set up in The Amazing Spider-Man 2 l, but fell apart when it was met with resounding negative reception.

- But now that this third iteration is likely to succeed, Sony feels they can revisit a retooled version of their extended Spider-Man cinematic universe... just without Spider-Man being directly involved, at least for now.

- My guess is that there will be references to Spider-Man in these movies, and maybe even intentionally vaguer references to events in the MCU. This Sony universe will be its own thing, but could technically maybe kind of sort of exist in the same world as the MCU, just not overtly.

- I could see Spider-Man himself then showing up in one or two of these movies down the line, like in Venom 2 or a Black Cat movie or whatever, after whatever arc he has in Homecoming and Avengers 3 & 4 is complete.

Basically, Sony is DESPERATE to get involved in the superhero cinematic universe game. Disney has Marvel proper, Warner Bros. has DC, and Fox has X-Men/Deadpool. Even Paramount at least has Star Trek, Transformers, and Ninja Turtles. Sony has nothing, save for Bond, which they don't fully own and are likely about to lose. They need a franchise BAD, they own all the ancillary Spider-Man characters, so they're going to take their shot with what they have. I'm not endorsing it, just explaining where they're coming from. I seriously doubt it will work out well, but who knows...
rhutton125
AG
Good post. Makes a lot of sense. I hate it, but it is what it is.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I thought McGuire was great as Spider-Man.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
The character of Venom is 100% completely dependent on Spider-Man.

Without Spider-Man using the alien symbiote and rejecting it, and without Eddie Brock having his life and reputation destroyed by Spider-Man (even though it was Brock's fault), there is no Venom. They form this homicidal bond over their mutual hatred of Spider-Man and their desire to ruin his life and then kill him.

Somehow, Sony wants to introduce us to this iconic character, only casually mention Spider-Man but never actually show him.

I have no clue how they plan on doing this, and honestly I have zero confidence this will be any good.
ConcernedAggie2017
He's a big guy
MrPlow2010
AG
I like Tom Hardy at least. I always thought Joe Manganiello would be an awesome Venom before he was cast as deadshot, plus he was in the Maguire movies.
Sex Panther
AG
Can't be said enough, you can't have Venom without Spider-Man.

Sony is just ruining things for MCU-Spidey
AliasMan02
AG
They could do it without Spidey if they went with a version of the Flash Thompson Agent Venom concept. But Brock? No.
israeliag
AG
Has anyone actually said Spidey isn't involved? Yes it's a Venom movie but you could still have Spidey in there. Even within the current MCU arc.

Isn't Spider Man Homecoming technically a Sony film?
AliasMan02
AG
israeliag said:

Has anyone actually said Spidey isn't involved? Yes it's a Venom movie but you could still have Spidey in there. Even within the current MCU arc.

Isn't Spider Man Homecoming technically a Sony film?

They can use Spidey in their films but it can't be MCU. And then there is the issue of availability, because Avengers is still filming.

TCTTS beat me to it, but they'll backdoor the hell out of this. Pretend it's part of the MCU but never directly reference it.
Sapper Redux
AliasMan02 said:

They could do it without Spidey if they went with a version of the Flash Thompson Agent Venom concept. But Brock? No.

This would actually be really cool and could pull in Carnage. It wouldn't be nearly as Spidey-dependent. Sadly it looks like they aren't going this route.
TV Casualty
AG
I'm confused.
AliasMan02
AG
TV Casualty said:

I'm confused.

And that's the number 1 reason this is a terrible idea.
Farmer1906
AG
Head Ninja In Charge said:

The Debt said:

I thought Spider-Man 2 was a top 5 comic book movie of all-time.
I would agree at the time. To me, it doesn't age well compared to all the MCU movies.
Liquid Wrench
GoAgs92 said:

I wonder what incomprehensible accent he will use....batman, the revenant...I shouldn't have to use closed captioning to watch a movie...unless it's "Trainspotting"

No kidding. I can never understand Hardy. At least Venom shouldn't need to do too much talking, right?
imjustsayin
AG
Boo
AgPediRPh
AG
GoAgs92 said:

I wonder what incomprehensible accent he will use....
Bane sounded like Celebrity Jeopardy Sean Connery. I chuckled the first few times he spoke.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.