Chris Cornel has died...

24,236 Views | 239 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Txmoe
Bruce Almighty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Junkhead said:

Why do so many people think he pulled a Michael Hutchence?

You mean David Carradine? Last I read, there was no proof that Hutchence did that and was just what the family believed.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Cornell was always the basically the older brother

Andy, Kirk, Layne, hell even Scott dude lost many friends

Depression is worse than cancer and i hope that his death is not for nothing

RIP CC
spanky
AG
https://thefirsttenwords.wordpress.com/2017/05/20/its-not-what-you-think/
62strat
AG
My close encounters with Mr Cornell:

2009, about as close as you get at the House of Blues. Felt like he was in my living room playing just for me.

2007, didn't feel like waiting in long ass line to get his sig.. I just walked up to the side just to yell his name. he looked at me and reached out to grab my tour flier and signed it. Cool dude.

62strat
AG
1 year. Man this was a big loss. His last song released, the promise, still good as ever. He had so much more music to give.

Flashdiaz
AG
still can't listen to Say Hello to Heaven without allergies acting up.
FtBendTxAg
ham98
TXAGFAN
AG
62strat said:

1 year. Man this was a big loss. His last song released, the promise, still good as ever. He had so much more music to give.

Good movie too.
Echoes97
AG
Went to a Chris Cornell tribute at Fitzgerald's in Houston last night, and it was epic. All eras, solo, Temple, Audioslave, Soundgarden. Even did acoustic Seasons and Can't Change Me.

Still can't believe he's gone, what an immense talent. Best of our generation.
Us And Them - The Pink Floyd Experience
http://www.usandthemband.net
superunknown
AG
SXM was rolling their Chris Cornell "Confidential" last night on Lithium.
62strat
AG
Echoes97 said:

Went to a Chris Cornell tribute at Fitzgerald's in Houston last night, and it was epic. All eras, solo, Temple, Audioslave, Soundgarden. Even did acoustic Seasons and Can't Change Me.

Still can't believe he's gone, what an immense talent. Best of our generation.
awesome man. They are no longer in it now, but the original and long time guitar player and bass player of rusted cage were my band mates for years. (And the same guys that were on board with me when I contacted you a long time ago about jamming some Opeth tunes.)
I grew up with that guitar player and he's an ag. Dave really does Cornell justice. He's also in a rush tribute and a LZ tribute.
BQ78
AG
Indeed it is, I saw it this weekend and was floored when I saw in the credits that he was the singer and writer. I'm not into the genre of music where he did most of his work but there is no disputing he was an amazing vocalist and talent.
62strat
AG
BQ78 said:

Indeed it is, I saw it this weekend and was floored when I saw in the credits that he was the singer and writer. I'm not into the genre of music where he did most of his work but there is no disputing he was an amazing vocalist and talent.
Cornell didn't have a genre.

He did a lot of solo and soundtrack work. If you like the promise, seek his other stuff out. Check out temple of the dog too, it's less like soundgarden and more like his solo. He also did cover songs from all sorts of genres, and he always nailed them.

Sunshower, from Great Expectations soundtrack:

PLUM LOCO
AG
It has been 2 years today. Still a truly sad event.

Know Your Enemy
AG
Been listening to Euphoria Mourning and Songbook all morning. Still bums me out.
Al Bula
AG
This is coming out in July. Pricey. Hoping this will be aired eventually in a streaming service.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/soundgarden-live-from-the-artists-den-album-immersive-film-836031/
Know Your Enemy
AG
Shife said:

This is coming out in July. Pricey. Hoping this will be aired eventually in a streaming service.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/soundgarden-live-from-the-artists-den-album-immersive-film-836031/
https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/3036328
Know Your Enemy
AG
Bored at work on a Saturday so I put together a list of all the times I saw Cornell live. I consider myself very lucky, Even got to meet him backstage on the Euphoria Mourning tour.

Quote:

3/5/00 solo Deep Ellum Live
3/12/03 Audioslave Bronco Bowl
8/8/03 Audioslave Smirnoff Music Centre
4/27/07 solo Palladium Ballroom
10/30/07 solo House of Blues
4/3/11 solo acoustic House of Blues
10/26/11 Soundgarden Verizon Theatre
5/26/13 Soundgarden Palladium Ballroom
8/17/14 Soundgarden Gexa Energy Pavillion
11/1/15 solo acoustic Majestic Theatre
11/14/16 Temple of the Dog The Forum

Urban Ag
AG
Crazy sh**.

I met Chris a few times . He was a lot older than most of us. I grew up in the same small town in Washington State on the peninsula that Ben Shepherd was from. He was about 4-5 years older than me but my older brother knew him and some other guys I knew. Ben was a pretty cool guy and we went to a lot of garage parties in the early 90's they would play and would sometimes catch the ferry over to Seattle and get some one to let us in a club they were playing. Drank beers with ben and Matt Cameron on a couple of occasions.

Just crazy, 25+ years later thinking these were just guys from my home town or close enough by that we paid $5 to get a solo cup entrance fee to the garage they were playing. I can tell you that mid-late 80's to early 90's, PNW was a fun place to be for a young guy that was into rock.

Was sad to hear Chris took his life a year ago. Never heard a bad thing about him. Actually now that I think about it, last time I talked to him was in summer of 94, I sprained my ankle at Lollapalooza at Silverdale, WA, and got to hang out in their tent with an ice pack because of friend of a friend sh**.

Al Bula
AG
Urban Ag said:

Crazy sh**.

I met Chris a few times . He was a lot older than most of us. I grew up in the same small town in Washington State on the peninsula that Ben Shepherd was from. He was about 4-5 years older than me but my older brother knew him and some other guys I knew. Ben was a pretty cool guy and we went to a lot of garage parties in the early 90's they would play and would sometimes catch the ferry over to Seattle and get some one to let us in a club they were playing. Drank beers with ben and Matt Cameron on a couple of occasions.

Just crazy, 25+ years later thinking these were just guys from my home town or close enough by that we paid $5 to get a solo cup entrance fee to the garage they were playing. I can tell you that mid-late 80's to early 90's, PNW was a fun place to be for a young guy that was into rock.

Was sad to hear Chris took his life a year ago. Never heard a bad thing about him. Actually now that I think about it, last time I talked to him was in summer of 94, I sprained my ankle at Lollapalooza at Silverdale, WA, and got to hang out in their tent with an ice pack because of friend of a friend sh**.

very few posts on texags are actual cool stories. This one... this is a legit cool story.
62strat
AG
Junkhead said:

Bored at work on a Saturday so I put together a list of all the times I saw Cornell live. I consider myself very lucky, Even got to meet him backstage on the Euphoria Mourning tour.

Quote:

3/5/00 solo Deep Ellum Live
3/12/03 Audioslave Bronco Bowl
8/8/03 Audioslave Smirnoff Music Centre
4/27/07 solo Palladium Ballroom
10/30/07 solo House of Blues
4/3/11 solo acoustic House of Blues
10/26/11 Soundgarden Verizon Theatre
8/17/14 Soundgarden Gexa Energy Pavillion
11/1/15 solo acoustic Majestic Theatre
11/14/16 Temple of the Dog The Forum

I was front row for his solo acoustic show at house of blues Houston in '11. I also got to shake his hand and get a sig at one of the buzzfests he did.

The wifey saw SG back in early 90s.
Lance Uppercut
AG
Quote:

This was one of my favorite shows I've ever been to. They were great.

Quote:

grew up in the same small town in Washington State on the peninsula that Ben Shepherd was from. He was about 4-5 years older than me but my older brother knew him and some other guys I knew. Ben was a pretty cool guy and we went to a lot of garage parties in the early 90's

Ben Shepherd is the only person I've ever approached as a fan (I would probably only care enough to approach someone in Soundgarden or Norm Macdonald). I saw him checking out gelato in the lobby of a Four Seasons and asked "Are you Ben Shepherd?". He looked concerned and said "Why?". Maybe he thought I was going to serve him a subpoena or something.

I told him Soundgarden was my favorite band and thanks for making music, and how much fun we had at that show in Dallas. He brightened up then and was very cordial, shook my hand. He told me they were playing that Gexa Energy Pavilion show and that I should check it out.
Boo Weekley
Urban Ag said:

Crazy sh**.

That's freakin awesome.
tk for tu juan
Just past five years now

Madmarttigan
AG
Probably never gonna find anything I like as much as Audioslave. Still sucks.
CDub06
AG
Same. I loved everything he did, such a beautiful, powerful voice.

But Audioslave was the best.
AgBQ-00
AG
Has it been 5 years already. holy cow.
Communists aren't people. They are property of the state.
johnnyblaze36
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

Has it been 5 years already. holy cow.
This just made me think about when did Scott Weiland die and I looked it up and it's been six and a half years. Where does the freaking time go? Feels like about 2 and 3 years respectively.
Txmoe
AG
Am I the only one who sees this thread title and focuses only on the misspelling of Chris' last name?

(Made the same mistake myself.)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.