Fiction Recommendations

2,694 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Zemira
Zemira
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I have been taking a break from TV/Movies and gone back to my love of reading for entertainment.

When I read I tend to consume books. I am not one of those people who will spend three months reading a book, more likely if I haven't finished it in a few days or a week it doesn't interest me.

I am open to anything but I am drawn to Mystery, Thrillers, Romance, Semi-Supernatural/Sci-fi books usually. I haven't read anything really out there recently.

I spent February and March re-reading all of Michael Connelly's books as it had been years since I had read some of them. I needed to re-fresher before watching his Bosch series.

So now I am looking for something new. It doesn't have to be a series, but an author with a few books to read is a plus. I will edit with a list of authors I have read when I get some time tonight.

Edit: So I was giving myself a headache trying to think of every author I have read so you get the last year:
(Random Order)

Michael Connelly
Clive Cussler
Heather Graham
Nora Roberts
Nora Roberts as JD Robb
Jeffrey Archer
Ava Miles
Jack Higgins
Liane Moriarty
Ken Follett

Open for suggestions.
LoneStarAg2004
AG
I'm a big fan of the Joe Pickett series by C.J. Box.
maverick2076
The Dresden Files are fun if you haven't read them.
AgHawkToo
BRANDON SANDERSON!
mrsbeer05
AG
You took my first suggestion of Connelly books,

Smart A** Detectives
- Nelson Demille especially the John Corey books
-Harlan Coban- The Myran Bolitar books

Realistic fiction
Elmer Keaton- The time it never rained (Texas during a major drought 1950s)
Kristin Hannah- Winter Garden (mom & daughters, mom live during Stalin's reign)

Crime/mystery
Mo Hayder- Birdman (kind graphic but if you like Connelly, you will probably like this)
Robert Galbraith (pen name of J. K. Rowling)- all the Cormoran Strike novels

Anything by John Irving

Trajan88
AG
The Passage by Justin Cronin (1st of completed trilogy).
Tabasco
AG
Trajan88 said:

The Passage by Justin Cronin (1st of completed trilogy).

This is what I was going to suggest. The whole trilogy if you like the first.
Zemira
AG
Thanks for the suggestions! Keep them coming. Starting to see some books I said I would read eventually and never read.

Also is there an App or something to keep track of what you have read? I read a lot on my Kindle so it won't let you buy a book twice. Yet I have a lot of real books and enjoy second hand book stores. So I need a way to keep up or I won't remember I read or have a book in a few years.
YouBet
AG
Zemira said:

Thanks for the suggestions! Keep them coming. Starting to see some books I said I would read eventually and never read.

Also is there an App or something to keep track of what you have read? I read a lot on my Kindle so it won't let you buy a book twice. Yet I have a lot of real books and enjoy second hand book stores. So I need a way to keep up or I won't remember I read or have a book in a few years.

GoodReads is the most common. You can import every book you've ever purchased on Amazon as well which saves you a lot time from manually searching and logging a book to a shelf.

Will second Harlan Cohen. I'm reading Tell No One. Great quick read. I almost always read sci-fi or fantasy so this is a good diversion. You can knock it out in less than a day easy.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I highly recommend Caleb Carr.

The Alienist
Angel of Darkness (sequel)

Some of my favorite books. Will for sure reread them at some point.
Bigfootisreal
John Connolly- Charlie Parker series: detective with supernatural.
Steve Berry- Cotton Malone books: Shorter, faster reading Dan Brown.

Also- Dresen files are a little cheesy but great dialogue and they read fast!
KidDoc
AG
Joe Abercrombie is good as well as Sanderson. Joe is more of a gritty low fantasy type writer, brutal world.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
SeattleAgJr
Obama's autobiography?
AgPediRPh
AG
Kenzie-Genarro series by Dennis Lehane. Although I would stop at Gone Baby Gone.
Zemira
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

Obama's autobiography?

I appreciate good fiction, but I doubt it is good.
caleblyn
You've read all these mystery/thriller books but do not mention James Patterson. I am a big fan of the Cross series, even though it is starting to get very repetitive. The early books are fantastic. You should give it a shot.

A side, odd for him, story that James Patterson did was one of my favorite books ever...The Jester. Medieval/Holy Wars timing and quite good!
TxAgg07
AG
Elmer Kelton - The Time It Never Rained, The Day the Cowboys Quit, Good Ol Boys
Zemira
AG
Thanks a good reminder. I have read some James Patterson just not in the last year.
LHIOB
AG
Crichton. All of them.
88agg
AG
James Rollins
Ag_N_Houston
AG
Crime/Thriller/Mystery:

Phillip Margolin - I've read them all, but the Amanda Jaffe series is the best

Chelsea Cain - I've read the Heartsick series and the One Kick series

Tami Hoag - Oak Knoll series

Chevy Stevens - her books aren't really mystery, but they are twisted...very twisted.
abileneag09
AG
Louis L'Amour has some great books. While he mostly does westerns, my two favorites are a different genre. The Walking Drum is set in the 1100s and Last of the Breed is about a fighter pilot shot down and captured by the Russians. Both are excellent.
dcAg
Dennis Lehane
Absolute
AG
Mystery/thriller :

John Sanford
Vince Flynn
James Rollins
David Baldacci
Steven Hunter
Tom clancy
Preston and child (or each alone)

Sf/fantasy

Sanderson
Red rising series
Feist (though some on Texags diaagree)
Eddings

Check out the name of the wind thread for more.
Hagen95
AG

The Expanse series is a nice read.
Rudyjax
AG
Generations Trilogy by Scott Sigler
13B
The Expanse series--James S. A. Corey (SciFi-Space), Hap and Leonard series--Joe R. Lansdale (Crime/Mystery), Day by Day Armageddon series--JL Bourne (Zombie Genre), Ex-Heroes series--Peter Clines (Zombie Genre). All extremely engaging books, two of which have tv series based on them too.
Zemira
AG
A few authors I read last year:

Harlan Coban- The Myran Bolitar books - really enjoyed these still have a few left

Mo Hayder- made it through a book and a half. A tad bit more graphic than I was expecting but good writing. I think I'm taking a break from Serial Killers and graphic murders this year.

Vince Flynn (Kyle Mills) Enemy of the State with Mitch Rapp - I didn't realize someone had picked up his story but just as good as the original author in my opinion.

David Baldacci - End Game - I like Will Robie and the series. Always keeps me guessing.

David Archer - read his Noah Wolf series. Fairly interesting concept in the spy/assassin genre.

Joseph Flynn - Jim McGill series. Okay I admit I got carried away and binge read the series in about six weeks. Really liked the characters and looking at reading his other books.

Went on a bit of a legal thriller kick last summer and read a bunch of books. Sheldon Siegel and Scott Pratt were the two that stuck with me.

I reread everything by Michael Connelly again. I might be in love with Harry Bosch's character and Mickey Haller is awesome for the legal side. I guess I just like how Connelly's characters are often very flawed but usually they do the right thing and everything doesn't turn out all Happily Ever After. There are plenty of HEA novels out there but when I want something gritty I tend to go back to him.

I am starting to read Daniel Silva right now. He has a ton of books so probably going to try to space them out with some smutty romance novels (open to suggestions). Then I have the Dewey Andreas series by Ben Coes on tap.

Going through the suggestions above and still open to new ones. Anything on Kindle Unlimited is paid for otherwise I have to space out purchases or go back to paper and hunt the used bookstores.

And yes I sort of became a book hermit last year.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.