Most shocking movie death?

18,911 Views | 164 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by C Loves L
Dawale
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The girl in The Bridge to Terabithia. The trailer made that movie look like a Narnia type fantasy, but instead you get kicked in the stomach with that death.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Fredo Corleone in GF2
Presley OBannons Sword
I don't really get why so many of you are saying Fredo. By the end of GF2, Michael was completely cold-blooded, and he had already shown in part 1 that he had no qualms about killing family members. If any death ordered by Michael was surprising, it was Carlo's in part 1. In fact, Fredo's death was nearly an exact duplicate of Carlo's, in the way Michael pretty much made him confess his betrayal, then led him to believe he would be let go with a harsh punishment, but not death, right before he was executed. I don't really remember the first time I watched GF2, but I certainly don't remember being surprised. It was perfectly within character for Michael.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Drawkcab said:

E.KingTrill said:

Samuel L Jackson in Deep Blue Sea

Damn you! I opened this thread to post a gif of this.

Oh well, least now I don't have to find one.

bigcat22
AG
Rufio in Hook still brings a tear to the eye
Trajan88
AG
... occurred at the end of Von Ryan's Express.
Stupe
S
Aggie94 said:

Sean Connery's character in The Untouchables - was not expecting it.
Really? I was more surprised by the FBI accountant getting shot.
AgGrad99
AG
Presley OBannons Sword said:

I don't really get why so many of you are saying Fredo. By the end of GF2, Michael was completely cold-blooded, and he had already shown in part 1 that he had no qualms about killing family members. If any death ordered by Michael was surprising, it was Carlo's in part 1. In fact, Fredo's death was nearly an exact duplicate of Carlo's, in the way Michael pretty much made him confess his betrayal, then led him to believe he would be let go with a harsh punishment, but not death, right before he was executed. I don't really remember the first time I watched GF2, but I certainly don't remember being surprised. It was perfectly within character for Michael.
Re-watch the movie. The story did a good job of making you change your mind before Fredo was killed.

You're right, Michael had become ruthless, but things were also in chaos with the family (business and personal). Hyman Roth situation, his wife and kids, internally finding the rat, he had issues with Frank Pentangeli, the Cuban investment loss, the Nevada license situation, the hearings in DC...he couldn't plug the holes quick enough.

But everything started to reverse course, and Michael started to close loose ends one by one.

You knew he was going to kill Fredo from the moment he kissed him in Cuba. Michael had been losing all the family he had. His father was dead, his mom passed, Connie had been gone, he literally closed the door on Kate...But then his mother's funeral came. Connie returns to the family, pledges to take care of Michael (which he hadnt had that in a long time), and she pleads with Michael to save Fredo. You then have the scene with them embracing, with Michael seemingly forgiving him. They did a good job making you think, like everything else, things with Michael and Fredo were reversing course...

Until boom.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG
AgGrad99 said:

Re-watch the movie. The story did a good job of making you change your mind before Fredo was killed.

You're right, Michael had become ruthless, but things were also in chaos with the family (business and personal). Hyman Roth situation, his wife and kids, internally finding the rat, he had issues with Frank Pentangeli, the Cuban investment loss, the Nevada license situation, the hearings in DC...he couldn't plug the holes quick enough.

But everything started to reverse course, and Michael started to close loose ends one by one.

You knew he was going to kill Fredo from the moment he kissed him in Cuba. Michael had been losing all the family he had. His father was dead, his mom passed, Connie had been gone, he literally closed the door on Kate...But then his mother's funeral came. Connie returns to the family, pledges to take care of Michael (which he hadnt had that in a long time), and she pleads with Michael to save Fredo. You then have the scene with them embracing, with Michael seemingly forgiving him. They did a good job making you think, like everything else, things with Michael and Fredo were reversing course...

Until boom.

Never thought that. No surprise at all...it was the literal Kiss of Death. Just a matter of time as Michael said "I don't want anything to happen to him.....while my mother is alive".

He broke his heart, Michael never forgets.

Bitter Old Man
AG
Momma Clown Fish in Little Nemo - tough lesson about mother nature for the kiddies in the first 30 seconds of the movie

Bitter Old Man
AG
About 5-10 minutes before the end of Rogue 1 when I realized that they were all going to die. I spent the rest of the movie thinking through the ramifications of that for Disney.
israeliag
AG
I had a very similar reaction.
Presley OBannons Sword
AgGrad99 said:

Until boom.

I can't tell if you are agreeing with me or not. I've watched that movie probably twenty times, so no need to rewatch.
MichaelJ
AG

Also
The Debt
Dawale said:

The girl in The Bridge to Terabithia. The trailer made that movie look like a Narnia type fantasy, but instead you get kicked in the stomach with that death.

doesn't she die in the book?
MileHighAg
AG
The commander in Resident Evil. He was a bad ass and seemed to be one of the stars of the movie, but towards the begining, he just had to dodge a few laser beams traveling down a hallway. No problem. Jump one, duck under another. But then one laser expands into a honeycomb filling the entire hallway. Uh-oh.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Bitter Old Man said:

About 5-10 minutes before the end of Rogue 1 when I realized that they were all going to die. I spent the rest of the movie thinking through the ramifications of that for Disney.

Yeah, I had the "holy ****, Lucasfilm is going to kill off every last one of them" reaction as well. Had a bit of a alright this is more than I expected and I don't want them all to die mixed emotions going on.
The Debt
jabberwalkie09 said:

Bitter Old Man said:

Yeah, I had the "holy ****, Lucasfilm is going to kill off every last one of them" reaction as well. Had a bit of a alright this is more than I expected and I don't want them all to die mixed emotions going on.

When I saw they were about to die, I seriously channeled grumpy cat and thought "good". I couldn't stand any character in Rogue 1.
The Debt
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
maybe "shocking" is the wrong word for Fredo's demise and so is "unexpected".

but still...

something about it was just very "no way they go that route. do they?....wow..they went that route!" kinda vibe to it.
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
Noah Newman in US Marshals

My Girl

Jack in Titanic

The wife in Return to Me ( I mean, you know what the movie is about but Duchovny is so freaking sad)
HtownAg92
AG
AgGrad99 said:

Until boom.

Also, Carlo is not comparable. He wasn't blood family, he had one brother killed and he regularly beat the sister. His death was expected, not shocking.
Guitarsoup
AG
I don't see how any thought that Jack in Titanic was a shocking death.l
Bruce Almighty
AG
Agree. It was obvious that Jack was going to die, otherwise the movie would have a happy ending. You can't make a movie about the Titanic sinking and have a happy ending.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Agree. It was obvious that Jack was going to die, otherwise the movie would have a happy ending. You can't make a movie about the Titanic sinking and have a happy ending.
dude....SPOILERS!!!!!!!

jk ;-)
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
I dunno, I guess I was just hopeful that when he was interviewing the old lady, Old Jack would like pop around the corner, or maybe she would say they had 40 good years together before he croaked. Girl emotions.
Presley OBannons Sword
HtownAg92 said:

AgGrad99 said:

Until boom.

Also, Carlo is not comparable. He wasn't blood family, he had one brother killed and he regularly beat the sister. His death was expected, not shocking.
I didn't think Carlo's death was shocking. I said that if either of them were surprising it would be Carlo's over Fredo's, but I didn't think either of them were particularly surprising. You are also viewing GF1 Michael through 2017 lenses. Upon the first viewing of GF1, it wasn't so obvious that he was going to be so utterly and completely cold blooded.

But good point with the blood family thing, not a perfect comparison.
Presley OBannons Sword
Guitarsoup said:

agreed. it was pretty much obvious from the very beginning with the old lady and the entire tone of the film
zap
AG
HtownAg92
AG

Guitarsoup said:

agreed. it was pretty much obvious from the very beginning with the old lady and the entire tone of the film
No Bat Soup For You
AG
Deats in Lonesome Dove

And then Gus.
dave99ag
AG
The dog from Marley & Me.

Thinking it's a comedy and then is absolutely depressing.
ApachePilot
AG
No Country for old mean
- everyone

Red Dawn
- everyone

Lonesome Dove
- Gus (I'll admit I cried when they said goodbye. It's been a hell of a party...

snowdog90
Carlito.

He almost made it.
BallerStaf2003
AG
Honestly the toughest death I've ever seen I just watched.

It wasn't a movie, it was "13 Reasons Why" on Netflix. It was awful to watch.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.