Life - Sci-Fi Flick - Jake Gyllenhaal Ryan Reynolds Rebecca Ferguson

4,998 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Rascal
schmendeler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I searched for a thread on this and couldn't find one even though I remember someone discussing it previously. It actually looks like it might be decent. Rotten Tomatoes has it at 88%. Might there actually be another decent sci-fi movie on the way? (Martian, arrival, interstellar)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5442430/
joemeister
AG
Is it about two white acquaintances being wrongfully imprisoned in rural Africa and the ensuing shenanigans?
The Collective
AG
Looks better than the new Alien movie.
schmendeler
AG
joemeister74 said:

Is it about two white acquaintances being wrongfully imprisoned in rural Africa and the ensuing shenanigans?
I'm not getting this reference.
joemeister
AG
G Martin 87
AG
Yet another crew member makes the stupid mistake of touching the cute alien. Didn't you ever watch the show?
astros4545
AG
Everything Gyllenhall is in is great
Gigem314
AG
I would love to hear Deadpool's commentary on this movie.
Theblondewonder
AG
Already have tickets
titanmaster_race
The ISS would have broken up if the robotic arm had caught the satellite like that.
3rdGen2015
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Curious to watch this. But does anyone else think it looks like a ripoff of Prometheus / Alien?
jeffk
AG
Looks like an updated take on The Thing.
BassCowboy33
Ho. Lee. Crap.

That was intense.
BassCowboy33
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Curious to watch this. But does anyone else think it looks like a ripoff of Prometheus / Alien?

Definitely it's own beast.

Emotionally draining. Definitely not something that is be able to watch each weekend.
West Point Aggie
AG
titanmaster_race said:

The ISS would have broken up if the robotic arm had caught the satellite like that.

It's Hollywood...they love implausible s***! Like the Day After Tomorrow; SO MUCH incorrect meteorology and climatology that I was able to make it into a "find the bad atmospheric science" hunt/project in one of my classes...I would only ask for 10 items even though it has way more!!
titanmaster_race
I know, I know. I'm a sci-fi junkie, so I'm usually pretty good at suspending my disbelief, but that capture in the very beginning of the film is pretty much what I do for a living.

Though I might watch it just because that Ryan/Jake google each other video was hilarious.
Spaceball 1
AG
I liked it. Like Gravity, but a Martian killing everyone instead of debris.
Old Jock 1997
AG
I really enjoyed it. Intense is right!
Philip J Fry
AG
Pretty much played out exactly as predicted with huge plot holes.
BassCowboy33
Philip J Fry said:

Pretty much played out exactly as predicted with huge plot holes.

If you predicted that whole thing, you deserve some kind of award. That last 20 minutes was wild.
Old Jock 1997
AG
That's a typical TexAgs reply -- can't just enjoy a movie for what it is.
Philip J Fry
AG
Guess I get an award then.
TexAgs91
AG
******** SPOILERS *****************

I thought most of it was good. Although the characters seemed to be of only average intelligence. Not the kind of people you'd see on the space station. The station's mechanic was right to gripe out the exobiologist. It's not a pet. It could be another anthrax! Something the exobiologist seemed to have never considered. When the **** started to hit the fan, the exobiologist should have been the expert on things to try for killing it.

I did like the alien. It seemed realistic until it suddenly became a super hero that could withstand the vacuum of space and had unlimited strength and was extremely smart for something that was about a month old.

Nits...
- I see we're back to having sound in space.
- Why didn't the earth roll by beneath the space station in many scenes? It's as if the ISS wasn't moving.
- There's no way the SSRMS (space station remote manipulator system - aka robotic arm) would be able to function after catching that spacecraft, let alone actually catch it. And you would NEVER... NEVER have an astronaut standing by next to it, or even place the space station in its path. The soyuz that docked with the station applied much less force and demolished the space station.
- The Soyuz's RCS jets are not going to propel it to the 25,000 mph needed to escape the earth's gravity.

But overall I thought it was good as far as hollywood movies go. But WTF was that at the end? It's as if the director's 13 year old kid suddenly took over the movie and said "Ok, now the commander's safe at home, the Earth is safe... Oh no! The two space craft were switched and the commander's gone off into deep space and the alien landed on earth with the pilot!". Give me a break.
Engine10
AG
Rebecca Ferguson tho
Engine10
AG
Rule 1 compliance

Max Power
AG
It was exactly what I wanted, a fun monster movie in space, don't go in expecting more than that and you won't be disappointed.
schmendeler
AG
I checked rotten tomatoes again today and it's now down to 66%. i'll probably wait till red box.
TCTTS
AG
It's definitely not worth seeing in a theater. Pretty vanilla, all things considered. Felt like they filmed the first draft of the script. Had they just fleshed it out a bit more, and gone for more original/impactful scares, it could have been great. Definitely worth checking out on cable/streaming, though. Not bad by any means, just kind of been-there-done-that.
AggieLumberjack
AG
Most meh movie I have seen in a while. Not particularly good but not awful either.
Ol Jock 99
AG
So is it The Thing crossed with Alien crossed with Event Horizon?
dcAg
I thought it was entertaining. Great monster but not better than the Alien, alien. Seems like they could've outsmarted the monster pretty easily but they botched that. At the very end it was fairly predictable...Why not have 4 more sequels except based on earth...
TCTTS
AG
I would say Gravity instead of Event Horizon. Felt like a cheap Gravity knock-off with a splash of Alien thrown in.
astros4545
AG
How was it able to change direction so easily in zero gravity
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Life-long monster movie fan here. Alien is the best of this genre ever, and second place is distant. So I don't really expect to like Life as much as Alien, clearly, but as soon as I get a break in my schedule, I am heading back to the theater.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.